Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3,wolfenstein internet freeze

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3,wolfenstein internet freeze

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, i got a problem with wolfenstein and quake 3. If i try to find servers, my internet will freeze for like 10 seconds and it will crash. I have this problem already for years with wolfenstein on the pc, but yesterday i tried to play quake 3 on my xbox and i had the same problem. anyone knows the solution? I think im the only one with this problem.

Anyone a solution?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

define 'your internet will crash'
does all the interwebs in your house stop working?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3 makes a lot of simultaneous requests when you search for servers, and this is probably overloading your router or setting off a protection mechanism in it.

Try disabling 'firewall' or 'intrusion detection' measures on the router temporarily, and see if it fixes the issue.

If not, the easiest solution is to use an external Q3 server finder rather than the built-in tool.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 02:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firewall is already turned off, because i host a server for medal of honor spearhead. And if i look in my settings i see this.

And yes the internet will blow out everywhere in my house.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a shit router. What brand and model?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-07-2011 05:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a good one,

sweex LB000021

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-07-2011 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Sounds like you have a shit router.

I suggest a router from a company that has sold more than 10. Try Linksys, for instance.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-07-2011 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Careful there, that's our Dutch pride you are stamping on.

@vuurvent: I've had that model in the past. IIRC it only has 8 or 16 MB RAM so it's not that difficult to crash if you hit the network hard.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-07-2011 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol yea but sweex is kind of crappy :p

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-08-2011 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, but i can also host a game server on a linksys router?
And whats the regular price of a good one?

Thanks

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-08-2011 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes. If anything, you can set port restrictions so you can host without actually disabling the firewall.

Suggested retail price (though you can probably get them for cheaper from a retailer on sale):
http://homestore-ca.cisco.com/en-ca/lin ... iewcat.htm

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-17-2011 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is that just spam, or malicious spam?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-18-2011 10:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spam. I've removed it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.