Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Please Help.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Please Help.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-12-2011 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had the Quake 3 Arena cd for my computer for YEARS, I've always played it, but recently, I've been playing multiplayer mode, in other people's servers. Sometimes I would just love to create my own server, & change the guns & server name & all that, but I have NO clue how to, I've been trying by doing this:

Open my Quake 3.
Click 'Multiplayer'
Make sure that it's on internet servers.
Click Create.
Click 'Capture The Flag'
Select The Place I Want, & setting the amount of people.
Then I click Fight.

But, I have no clue as to how to change the different guns & remove all health, & name the server.
Can someone please help me?

-btw, I'm a girl, sorry if that sounds dumb ^.

-Post back if you don't understand.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-12-2011 11:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New2Quake3 wrote:
But, I have no clue as to how to change the different guns & remove all health, & name the server.
Can someone please help me?

You can give your server a name on the screen where you select which players you want in the server (and the fraglimit and things like that). Where it says "hostname" you can enter a name for your server. As for changing guns and removing health, you'll need to load a mod that can do that. Unless you're more specific as for what you want to do with weapons and health, I can't point you in the right direction for a mod that can do this.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-13-2011 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what do you mean , 'load a mod' ?

& , the one i want to use is :

capture the flag - Q3CTF1

i want ONLY cannons , railguns , & machineguns .
i want NO health .

is that better?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-14-2011 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A mod is a folder with some files that you copy into your Quake 3 installation folder. In the main menu of Quake 3, there's a menu item called "mods". Click on this to view a list of installed mods. In your case, it probably only shows "Quake III Arena", which means there are no mods installed.

"mod" is short for "modification", which is exactly what it is. A mod changes the rules and/or behavior of the game which can range from simple things like removing (specific) items from the map or changing the amount of damage each weapon does, up to full "total conversions" where the result is basically a new game which isn't instantly recognizable as Quake 3 anymore (an example of this is the Urban Terror mod.

To do the things you listed, you'll need a mod that can do these specific things. I'd bet that such a mod already exists, but I don't know of one to be honest. Maybe someone else here knows...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

See this thread as well:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=46237

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-26-2011 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks , but i don't like to download stuff to my computer .

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-26-2011 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Based on some googling after looking at that other thread - here are the rough basics of a config:
Quote:
// This makes it CTF
g_gametype 4

// Capture and timelimit
capturelimit 5
timelimit 30

// This is the server name and the message users see when they first connect
seta sv_hostname "New2Quake3's CTF server"
seta g_motd "Welcome to New2Quake3's CTF server"

// Turns off all the health items, set these to "0" to turn them back on
seta disable_item_health_small "1"
seta disable_item_health "1"
seta disable_item_health_large "1"
seta disable_item_health_mega "1"

// Normally this next part would be a "map cycle" script to work through your favourite maps. Here, it's just loading q3ctf1 again and again.
// Have left the example structure so that you can see how the script works.
set m1 "map q3ctf1 ; set nextmap vstr m2"
set m2 "map q3ctf1 ; set nextmap vstr m1"
vstr m1

save this to a text file in your "baseq3" folder and call it "test.cfg" - you can create the file with notepad (or any other text editor), but make sure it's called "test.cfg", not "test.cfg.txt". you might need to turn file extensions on in Windows to confirm that the file name is correct.

next, you will need a command to start the server. paste this into the "Run" box on your Start menu:
Quote:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe +exec test.cfg

i don't know where the program is installed on your computer, so you may need to change the path to quake3.exe to get it to work.

if you want to put that server on the internet and play with other people then you'll need to add a lot more instructions to the config (e.g. setting an admin password and deciding if you want to enable voting) - somebody else here (or google) will be able to help with that.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-26-2011 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lots of info here about running a Quake 3 server if you are willing to go through it:

http://www.gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=list_pages_categories&cid=18

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-31-2011 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-31-2011 10:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
:olo:

lol yea I was going to say something about it in my very first post but decided against it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.