Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Running Loud

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Running Loud

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey,

I finally went from dial-up to broadband, and now whenever I boot the game up, my computer start running so loudly that I swear it's going to blow =/ I always shut down all of my programs before I play, and the only thing that is running is my weatherbug and that isn't it. Is this a normal thing ... or? I'm afraid to play the game and that's pretty damn depressing.

-thx

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 05:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it a fan noise or a disk access noise?

A faster lan connection shouldn't create more noise.

If you changed some other settings at the same time that may be the culprit, did you change your display resolution or color depth when you went to a faster connection?

Whenever I play a game my CPU & video card fans ramp up and stay there because of all the extra heat they are now trying to dissipate.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's the fans like you said, but it seems like it's more than that. What's a disk access noise?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The sound of your hard drives moving the read heads back and forth seeking data is disk access noise.

Open up the case and see where the noise is coming from. Try doing a thorough cleaning with the computer off, unplugged and grounded.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It helps if you roll up a piece of paper and use that as a pinpointer to locate the noise. Open the side panel and start it up (careful not to touch any moving parts with the piece of paper).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: The mental picture of paper roll getting hit with a fan is rofl.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's an odd one going from dial to broadband.

if it's the hard drive, which you can tell by your HD light on your case constantly blinking then it's the HD,

defrag your drive/s

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
If it's the hard drive, which you can tell by your HD light on your case constantly blinking then it's the HD, defrag your drive/s

I defragged the C drive and it didn't do anything. The HD light never comes on while I'm playing. I took a break from playing for several months, and during that time, I went to some site(can't remember which)and the video on the site that I went to watch was loaded up using my Real player program, the video hadn't even loaded fully and I canceled it because I didn't want to watch it. After that happened, if I even went into My Documents folder and opened up My Video's folder, it would do this same exact thing. The computer would start to get louder and louder and if I didn't manually shut the computer off then it would scream at me ... just loud. I ended up uninstalling my Real Player program to get rid of that problem so that I could get into My Video's folder without this happening. Now it's doing this with Q3A when I run it, fortunately it stops when I turn the game off rather than it affecting the whole computer as a whole.
I usually run Icculus, so I emptied my baseq3 folder so that it only had the pak0-8.pk3 files in it to see if that would make a difference and it didn't. I switched those pak0-8.pk3 files back into my store bought Q3A and it's still the same deal. I have 178GB's on my computer and only 49GB's are being used out of them. I really don't think that I should be having this problem, so that was why I was wondering if it was the high speed Qwest internet connection that was causing it ... it isn't broadband, it's just phoneline ... I'm really ignorant with all of this stuff. My computer is a HP Media Center PC, 3500+ AMD Athlon 64 processor 512MP Memory, Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics. So ... hmm =/

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you open up the computer and see WHERE the sound is coming from like we asked above? Really hard to diagnose the problem unless we know what component is causing the sound.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I opened it up and from a guess, it has to be coming from one of the fans. I can't tell where it's coming from the back or from the one that is inside. My hearing is terrible, so it's tough to say. If there is something else in there which it could be coming from, then the fans are covering it up. The fans are so close together that that isn't helping me either to determine which one that it's coming from. Is the internet using some of the memory up making the game work harder to make use of what is left?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not likely your internet causing it, probably just a coincidence.

You can try to unplug the exhaust fan (or other fans) temporarily and see if that solves the problem.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

place your hand on the exhaust from the PSU, is it cool or warm ?

2. while your PC is running, have access to the guts of it, use your finger and stop the fan/s one by one

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-11-2011 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, Nothing ... I'll ask this, since I'm probably not going to be able to solve this shit :rolleyes: Do you guys' computer's stay silent when you play Q3, or does your fan run or pc run slightly louder?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-11-2011 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

silent and q3a being old, it's even silent when playing latest games.

sometimes i freak out and think my pc crashed or something cause it's so quiet i have to look at the LED light to make sure it's on lol

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-11-2011 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm just gonna bring it in and see what they think it is ... thx guys =)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.