Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Q3 Ded LAN Srv Question

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3 Ded LAN Srv Question

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-14-2011 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alrighty, I've had quite a bit of experience hosting dedicated LAN servers in the past, which has been fine. My problem now is I am attempting to run 16 servers from a single machine. The machine is more than capable and opens all the servers fine, however, when I go into Q3, I can only see 4 of them.

I should note that I am using the CPMA mod, but I'm guessing the same thing would happen if I attempted to host VQ3 servers.

I did a bit more playing around and narrowed it down to my Q3 only being able to see my dedicated servers if the port is set to 27960, 27961, 27962 or 27963. If it's anything other than those four ports, I can still manually connect to it via /connect 192.168.1.102:27964, etc and works fine; I am just unable to SEE the servers in the server list. Quake 3 automatically sets port numbers as you start servers and even leaving it on auto, it only detects the first four I set up, yet if I manually connect, they work perfectly.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why I am only able to see servers if they have those specific ports when I am still able to manually connect to them all regardless of the port?

Cheers in advance ^^.

Oh and please don't tell me to just manually connect... I'm hosting a public LAN a few times per year and would really prefer if people can just see the servers rather than having to manually connect :\

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-14-2011 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not that it should matter, but my servers have punkbuster disabled... Before anyone asks ^^.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-14-2011 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I understand correctly you wanna host 16 Quake 3 server on a single computer with only one IP address ? Are these servers for LAN play only or are they open to the Internet (public)?

When you say that you can only see 4 of them, that's in the Quake 3 built in server browser and not with a third party software for browsing Quake 3 game?

I think that by default the Quake 3 built-in server browser will only look on for servers running on ports from 27960 to 27963. Easy solution : You could add multiple IPs (4 IPs, 4 servers per IP) to your server and bind 4 Quake 3 server per IPs, that way you will have the 4 ports that work for all of your server.

If your servers are public, then you could only send your hearbeat to the Q3 master server and it should pick up your non default port and then broadcast the game with the bastard port.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.