Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Watch this: 100 fps video of me beating 52.Xaero

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Watch this: 100 fps video of me beating 52.Xaero

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-18-2011 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watch this: 100 fps video of me beating 52.Xaero

Here;s a 100 fps (320x240) video I made of my victory over a difficulty level 52 CPMA Xaero bot in CQ3 on OSPDM8DTS, a customized version of OSPDM8 I made that simply has replaced the Lightning Gun and Lightning ammo with the Plasmagun and Cells ammo. Also in the video is the modified custom grenade and explosions I made. Both the map and grenade, including explosions, are available on my site*.

I made the video low res cause higher res at that high fps won't play smoothly on my relatively low-spec PC. It's half the res I played the game at (640x480). I ran the demo playback at 1.5x speed cause at 1x speed in CPMA demos seem to run in a slightly floaty slow motion way. Watching demos at higher speed improves your speed when you go to play again anyway. You can get a sense of the time speed by watching the seconds count down to the match start, and also the timer is on the screen. The framerate is what I played the game at; at 1.5x speed it's actually lower in comparison. The idea of the high framerate is so you won't miss anything, though it's not as high as in-game, you can see quite well what happens in the video.

This is not the first time I beat 52.Xaero; just the first time the demo looked good enough to show. The CPMA bots are very realistically human-like in their play, strafejumping around and using a lot of strategy. The CPMA team have done a really good job with them. I chose Xaero cause Xaero at least in the baseq3 game was always heavy on the rail use and accuracy, which makes him most like the vicious players I have played online over the years, who use the Railgun like it's going out of fashion. I stopped playing online in Q3A sometime ago when I realised people cheated so much - there are even cheats in Quake Live - since I can practice against the highly realistic AI of the CPMA bots and improve that way. Some day I'll play on LAN. Fatal1ty said it's better to practice against bots for LAN play anyway, cause of lag online. I don't know if I would agree with that before the CPMA bots got so good (having not played on LAN myself), but now that they are I think playing them may be better.

You see 52.Xaero as TankJr/pm in the video cause that is the enemymodel I had set: that's how it looked when I played the game. Most high level players know to use TankJr or Keel cause they fit the hitbox most accurately. The high visibility settings are another high level play trait I picked up. Actually, on default-esque graphics settings, the phosphors on my CRT were proving too slow to react between dark and light when spectating a blisteringly fast player online, so I decided to try switching to high visibilty settings and it made the difference. Now I play faster as the screen can update and show me what's going on quicker. I pity those using LCDs cause they are slower than CRT phosphors. Roll on OLED! :) (Yes I am that fast; my other favourite game is Gran Turismo :p )

I uploaded the video to uploaded.to which took ages, I blame my ISP as I get a slow speed uploading to quakeunity aswell. Anyway, I have finished downloading it and checked it: the upload went OK. I've also finished uploading it to QuakeUnity, but that has to be checked by an admin before it will appear.

Download DoubleTriggerStyle(POV)-vs-52.Xaero-ospdm8-2011_09_15-20_01_17[Xvid][+mp3-audio].avi:
http://ul.to/mlo7lmyq
Filesize: 254 MB

http://www.system.nildram.co.uk/forum/m ... /cpma.html
About my site: I've lost ftp access so it won't be updated, plus it's on my ISP webspace and I'm switching ISPs soon so it will go offline then. I don't know if I will upload it again (to my new ISP webspace, hopefully they'll provide some) as it's something I was having fun with last year and looking back on it after not updating it for a long time I might not want to continue with it any more. I'll upload a site of some other sort at least; it helped me practice and improve my HTML skills; don't want to get my HTML skills out of shape! :)

The video just has music.
I had tried adding sound from the game to it; I had a hard time getting the audio even near in synch and then it kept going out of synch as the video went on. It turns out for some reason the game audio I recorded was longer than the video. Wierd and disappointing. So I just added the music. It's the music I had playing when I played the game.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-25-2011 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nub

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.