Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake Live config to Quake 3 Arena

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Live config to Quake 3 Arena

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heya everybody,

I've got a nice config on QL which I want to put into Q3A.
Copying and pasting it in the Q3A config works well, but it won't save. So I can play with that config until I quit, then the next time everything will be reset. Also tried putting it in autoexec, same result.
Anybody who can help me with this?

Sleight

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is your q3config.cfg set to read only by any chance? You can check this by right clicking the file in windows explorer (or it's called "my computer" these days I think) and select "properties" from the context menu. If there checkbox in front of "read-only" is checked, remove the check mark and click Ok.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah it's not...
Also tried making a new file (name.cfg), put my stuff in that, make it read only, and open that ingame. Also makes all saved stuff go away every time...

They say it might be something with playing from CD.
My CD is loaded otherwise it won't work, but I do play it from the computer directory, not the CD directory. But it might sort of auto link to that?

I also tried downloading a Q3 config edit program, set all setting to about what I used to have (so there will be no more weird QL commands that Q3 doesn't recognise and stuff) but the same thing happened.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm I see a problem...
When I use name.cfg to load my config, it automatically puts it in q3config.cfg.
Must be that then.
I'll try take out most of the unused commands and see whether it works better...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are one of two things you can do:

Create a custom myq3config.cfg and load it at startup using a shortcut to Q3.exe with +exec myq3config.cfg

-or-

Edit your default q3config.cfg as you like, save, then mark it as read-only.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Create a custom myq3config.cfg and load it at startup using a shortcut to Q3.exe with +exec myq3config.cfg

That's what I tried with the QL config, but that's where it didn't save anymore. It does save with less complex configs so I guess there must be something in the QL config that making Q3 bug.

obsidian wrote:
Edit your default q3config.cfg as you like, save, then mark it as read-only.

I tried this, but the result is that my progress still isn't being saved :P
It would be good for online playing I think though.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could try this :

put your custom config in a cfg file, create an autoexec.cfg file containing :

Quote:
unbindall
exec yourcustomfile.cfg

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 12:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sleight wrote:
They say it might be something with playing from CD.
My CD is loaded otherwise it won't work, but I do play it from the computer directory, not the CD directory. But it might sort of auto link to that?

Sounds to me like you're running a very old version of Quake 3. Not sure if that could be the cause of your problem, but before we continue, make sure you've installed the 1.32 point release update.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.