Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Please help: My QL cloud syncing is corrupted

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Please help: My QL cloud syncing is corrupted

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 07:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Long time no see. I've got something to solve, and it's quite important.

You see, I returned back to level design after a while, as I wanted to port Opposing Teams to Quake Live finally, having figured out how to create a Steam Workshop item. However, I think I managed to corrupt the cloud syncing function when I installed GtkRadiant and all its important files and set up Quake Live with it. I had to decompile the source Team Arena map as I've somehow lost the .map file for GtkRadiant, so had to recreate it. With cloud syncing disabled, I simply copied the workshop item into its corresponding directory inside my local workshop library, and it seemed fine. After number of fiddling around (as I forgot to rename the .map and .bsp files - for QL I want use "czql" prefix for maps as opposed to "czq3", and I forgot to replace occurences in the scripts directory), the console finally loads the map. But after the load screen shows up, this is what I get hit by:

Cloud syncing is disabled due to an error, I can't seem to get it back up and running. I think simply copying the workshop item contents into the library into its corresponding directory isn't enough, as there is a file called "appworkshop_282440.acf" inside the local library directory, which corresponds to Quake Live Workshop, and there are bunch of JSON data in there. I can kind of read it, but it's difficult. And I think it's a protected file I cannot modify or whatever, I think Steam has some measures to counter some unexpected modifications. It's not simply just have the files inside the directory, it needs some metadata as well. And this is where the cloud sync is important. This is what I get:

Text is in Czech language (of course), so I'll provide you a translation:
Steam wrote:
Synchronization failed

Steam service client was unable to synchronize your saved data from game Quake Live with Steam Cloud feature.

Clicking on "Retry synchronization" will start a new synchronization attempt.

Clicking on "Retry synchronization" does nothing, only closes the prompt, which indicates there is something wrong inside the game files. My guess is the foreign stuff that's added by GtkRadiant (and me, in an attempt to add missing textures, I came to find out that "base_wall/metalfloor_wall_10" texture is missing from Quake Live files, perhaps removed or replaced with another texture, or simply renamed, I can't seem to find it anywhere) are somehow getting into the way of cloud sync, but I can't get rid of the GtkRadiant stuff, otherwise it won't work anymore. Can I make a copy of the contents somewhere, or is Wolfcam_QL still a recommended substitute for level editing for Quake Live?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright, it was Steam Client issue, seems like it's lost internet connection for some reason. Maybe steamcmd disconnected it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.