Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Expand q3a SP ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Expand q3a SP ?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 03:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some clues on from where to start the editing cuz I wanna expand the SP mode. Add like 7 new tiers with new maps, new bots, new modes, keep the old.. Also It must look like the original q3a SP or beter :D is this even possible ?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude, I tried to do that too, but with no success. I think it is somewhat hardcoded, but you can make a SP fork with your own 7-tier skirmish as a modification (thus keeping the original scheme). Also you will need to include the Tier 0 - the intro tier, which gives total of 8 tiers numbered from 0 to 7. If you want to make really new SP tier skirmish, you can also make your own cinematics, if you have the right tools to do that. But you will need to export your cinematic to RoQ format (or at least convert exported video to that format, no other video format is accepted by Q3). Also the RoQ cinematic has to be 30 fps and 4:3 aspect ratio encoded. You might notice that original Q3 cinematics fill up the whole screen using original video resolution of 640x480 (VGA). The introduction cinematic played with first Q3 launch seems to be 16:9 ratio, but that's simply just clever conversion to 4:3 ratio by adding black bars on top and bottom, just notice that. Cinematics are streched to fit the whole screen, so the true 16:9 ratio video would stretch the the picture unnaturaly on 4:3 ratio screens so the heads then look like eggs or cones...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But I want to preserve the original tiers and add new to them + fill the tier 0 and tier 7 with 3 additional levels each. What do you mean it's hardcoded ? People are making SP mods and total conversions of the game, but this little thing is impossible ?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's impossible to add new levels to tiers 0 and 7 nor to add another 7. I saw somewhere a mod that makes some custom maps distributed alongside with the mod replace the original ones in the tiers 0 to 7, but can't remember its name and where it was able to download. But it's definitely impossible to change tiers in baseq3. I'm not much technically skilled in that thing, so I cannot tell you more. Maybe Eraser could you tell you more, he also made a SP mod EntityPlus, which turns Q3 into classic SP experience like RTCW or the rest of Quake series (Q1, Q2, Q4) offer...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-28-2015 01:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'll need to brush off your C coding skills because it requires you to change and recompile the source code of the game.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-28-2015 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well can I get advice on how to edit the original tiers and add mine ? Just tested The New Fight mod it has 2 or 3 tiers.. I wanna make my own.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 08:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser just answered you. There is no super-easy way to modify tiers. You have to build your own mod, which requires some changes to the game code...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-31-2015 02:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rake wrote:
Well can I get advice on how to edit the original tiers and add mine ? Just tested The New Fight mod it has 2 or 3 tiers.. I wanna make my own.

Google to find the file Q3A_TA_GameSource_132.exe
I don't know what the official channel is to get it now. id Software's FTP appears unresponsive.

Anyway, once you've got that, install it and follow the first steps outlined here. You'll be needing to make changes to the q3_ui project.

I'm not going to explain what or where to make changes because I'd need to figure it out myself as well. If you have never done any coding before, well, your work is cut out for you :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-09-2016 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Rake wrote:

Google to find the file Q3A_TA_GameSource_132.exe
I don't know what the official channel is to get it now. id Software's FTP appears unresponsive.

Seems to work for me...

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3 ... ce_132.exe

Their FTP site is fairly slow though. You can likely find a mirror that is 10x faster.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-10-2016 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's easier just modifying the arenas.txt, and putting the arenas, fraglimit, & type into there. I successfully extended the SP campaign that way, up to Tier 9. Note that you cannot download maps through the client or connect to pure servers with this method. Also making a .arena file with your changes to the arenas would work too, & it keeps your ability to download maps through the client/being able to connect through pure servers.

Last edited by coltonquake3 on 01-11-2016 12:04 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-11-2016 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol ok I just tried and on first glance it appears that works.
Didn't think it would.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-11-2016 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad my suggestion worked, Eraser. You can use this to make new training maps, as well as new maps to face Xaero on, I used pro-q3tourney7, pro-q3tourney8, and q30tourney0 for my Tier 7 modifications. I could also use the CTF maps as well (& have before), but they're made for CTF, not TDM, FFA, or tourneys.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used the arenas.txt trick to extend the SP campaign all the way to Tier 10. I have enough levels to push the SP campaign to at least Tier 20 (but that's just way too many levels).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.