Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        A difficult question about '_skybox' entities.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A difficult question about '_skybox' entities.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-04-2016 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm trying to make a map with two completely separate areas (Box B& box C), both of which have the same skybox, but one of them additionally displaying a _skybox backdrop (from a 128x128x128 small area, BOX A).

Is it possible to setup a _skybox entity in a way that it only targets and displays things in the second area (BOX C) of my map?

What I'm specifically trying to do is create a kind of seamless horizon, extending the 'ocean' view from any viewpoint in the second area of my map.

Here's a (poorly drafted) layout of what I'm trying to do:

If anyone has any tips or a better idea on how to make a horizon with water seem endless (seamless), I would greatly appreciate it!

I've looked at the q3map2 code with a keyword '_skybox', and it seems it's impossible to make it affect only one skybox.
Perhaps I could recompile the q3map2 code with a slightly modified _skybox functionality..

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 01-04-2016 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

trigger and triggerable shaders

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2016 02:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I did it here:

A map I still haven't finished.

The water uses alpha fade shader and brushes, and the backdrop (the limestone island bit) uses an alpha channel and is projected using the _skybox entity.

Last edited by AEon on 01-06-2016 11:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ted the image.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-06-2016 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That really is gorgeous dONKEY.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com