Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Star Trek Discovery

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Star Trek Discovery

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-18-2017 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got goose bumps on watching so what do you recon?

STAR TREK DISCOVERY Official Trailer (2017) Netflix Tv Series HD

Wiki IMDB

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-18-2017 12:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will watch, but I hope it's better than that trailer.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-18-2017 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that looks utterly wank

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-18-2017 01:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks kinda boring. what gave you the goosebumps?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

('_')

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

I am an old Star Trek fan. I've grown old with franchise. Did I show you people of Q3W my home office?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
The Orville: Official Trailer | THE ORVILLE clip
('_')

Yea, I'd probably watch but it is very low on the 'to watch list' and about where that Sigourney Weaver spoof space movie sits. What was it called, ah yes, Galaxy Quest (1999) a movie I have never watched through....

And thanks for ...
Memphis wrote:
lol u massive nerd (that's awsome)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 06:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Pext wrote:

I am an old Star Trek fan. I've grown old with franchise. Did I show you people of Q3W my home office?

:eek:

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 08:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Pext wrote:

This video..... was everything I hoped it would be :olo:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wont judge it until ive watched it and months have passed

pretty sure i'll like it tho

star trek ey!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2017 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
have you watched Galazy Quest yet Whisk? don't make me put the great fuck upon you :|

Galazy Quest??
Ah I see... Spelling... I will search for it right now and if I can locate, I'll save then watch and just for you Memphis. will report back of course, in the "Topic: The last movie you saw" :up: :up:

:smirk: I will see if I can make that spinning globe on my www show me in Japan....

EDIT: :eek: Seems I can...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-04-2017 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2nd trailer

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-04-2017 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome losCHUNK. Thank you :D I can't wait. ...

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-05-2017 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a Star Trek fan too so will watch this, thanks for link Whiskey :)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-05-2017 01:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is going to be on netflix?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-05-2017 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
This is going to be on netflix?

Apparently the popularity of Star Trek on Netflix is what prompted CBS all access to talk about a new show, when Netflix got wind of this they paid for the entire production budget.

I think CBS is going to be the only broadcaster in the US though.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-24-2017 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's back tonight :cry:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-24-2017 06:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How was it?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-24-2017 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a fan of the new Klingon.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-24-2017 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

let's see: faux meaning-of-life philosophising, over-emotional acting, breathy dialogue, cartoony sfx

looks like a winner :up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My 1st impressions are very good, the 1st ep had me grinning from start to finish. It had some of that whimsy fun the originals had, Saru is a good addition and Burnham is excellent, she was carrying the whole 1st 2 eps and pulled it off imo with the storytellinng being on the mark. Everything was laid out with care by use of dialogue with some Starfleet thinking pulled straight from the originals that saved the day.

Considering Trek series have a habit of waiting atleast 2 or 3 seasons before finding their footing then this is defo one of the better premieres for me.

BUT, when I was watching the 2nd ep the artistic design started to become quite jaring to me, I can see it grating on a few hardcore trekkies. I knew with Kurtzman on board it was going to have a different look but it does have a completely different feel to anything that has come before. Lens flare, sparkly costumes, shakey cam, lots and lots of colour with the Vulcan institute looking almost like Tron and the Klingons ?, well I hope they get explained. Kol looked more like a traditional Klingon which is one of the houses we seen in the successors.

That bucket head robot thing was shite too.

Overall I very much enjoyed it and hope it spawns more of the same. Unsure what newcomers think of the overall design but for people who have grew up with the series it's gonna take some getting used to.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It’s a shame it’s only available on the CBS streaming service for a monthly fee. They’re gonna lose a ton of viewers because of that, and it’ll ultimately kill it. Big mistake...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got it on my phone.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
It’s a shame it’s only available on the CBS streaming service for a monthly fee. They’re gonna lose a ton of viewers because of that, and it’ll ultimately kill it. Big mistake...

Well, if it wasn't for CBS all access there wouldn't have been a new Trek, CBS TV have no interest in making a new ST series because it doesn't work on the small screen anymore, apparently.

CBS all access though, it really depends on if they're using this is a marketing vessel (like Grand Tour for prime) or wether it will actually be rated on viewers, if it's viewers then the show was dead before it started and I'd be amazed if the CBS internet boffins didn't already know this.

Also need to consider that the show, thanks to Netflix, had already made a profit before filming even started. I'd be willing to bet that it'll end up Netflix in the US within the year n all.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 10:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just use a VPN

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 11:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They should've transitioned to from Klingon to English in the dialog also. I appreciate the authenticity but jfc it felt painful listening to something that takes 5x longer to speak with little or no detectable inflection.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

One fan here 'down under' :cry: :cry:
Even with a vpn and those sites I doubt I will see for weeks..... Wait... Wait ... :D

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 12:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I honestly haven’t pirated anything in over a decade. But I also haven’t had a reason to. If I want a game or film/tv show, I just buy it. :shrug:

But I ain’t buying CBS All Access just for Star Trek. I ain’t even a Star Trek fan...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 01:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only thing worth watching on CBS all access is the other star trek series and those are on netflix already..

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem is the price, especially when you consider other services provide way better value. Seems daft to have a price point comparable to Netfix and having nowhere near the catalogue. Drop the price until you can compete, seems simple. If I were Xeros id wait for the season to be released then take out a 1 month sub if it doesnt arrive on Netflix ?.

The good news is that it was the most watched non sports event for the day, 10 million viewers and all access are saying it broke monthly, weekly and daily records for new sign ups, which pleases me :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's good news so there's hope.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-26-2017 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Way too much instagram filter. And there’s no need to rebrand the Klingons but I’ve bought into it so far.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-26-2017 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I honestly haven’t pirated anything in over a decade. But I also haven’t had a reason to. If I want a game or film/tv show, I just buy it. :shrug:

But I ain’t buying CBS All Access just for Star Trek. I ain’t even a Star Trek fan...

This.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-27-2017 01:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been a big fan of TNG, DS9 and Voyager but so far I'm kinda disappointed with this new series.

I've mentioned The Expanse before. It had me hooked within half an episode. ST:D, not so much. I think that's mostly due to needing to adjust to the new style of everything, continually thinking how stuff isn't like what it should be. The Expanse has the advantage of being a blank slate.

What's more is that the three aforementioned series had a very distinct utopian feel about them. Dangers were rarely as immediate as "oh no I'll crash into these asteroids" only to be resolved 30 seconds later. The interiors of the Enterprise and Voyager looked like cosy, comfortable places. Even Deep Space Nine had the appeal of a friendly market street. In ST:D everything looks hard and sterile. There's proverbial darkness in a lot of places (most repulsively the judge/council scene in the end with the spotlight and the darkened faces) and the Klingons are portrayed like monsters rather than a proud warrior race.
All these things make the new series fall in line with what most scifii series do (even The Expanse). There's always a very obvious dark side to humanity which results in struggles against clichéd evil. ST was always unique in that it didn't resort to that sort of thing. Mankind was always united and a pure form of good. You might argue that this is boring but to me, that's one of the things that sets star trek apart and that actually makes it interesting rather than boring, because it evades a slew of clichés.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.