Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19941
PostPosted: 12-03-2018 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Transient wrote:
I've recently gotten back into Path of Exile and the next league starts on Friday, so I've been dusting off the cobwebs in anticipation. But Hitman 2 is definitely on my wishlist. I may pick up the version with the previous game if it goes on sale in the next month. :up:


whisper me Friday.. SoM

or tell me acc



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7836
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Captain Mazda wrote:
I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.


And that's what you get from watching, not playing.
As the player, you'd have to be aware of your surroundings, whether any other NPCs have line of sight on you or your target, whether you should be in the area or not, whether you're wearing the right disguise to be in the area... lots of situational awareness that won't come across to people watching that haven't played the game before.
Most FPS games could be reduced to "I watched a guy move a cursor over another guy and click a button" if you bring it down to that, but as you are fully aware, that's facile in the exteme.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42684
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I'm also playing through all of Half-Life 2 again :)




Top
                 

meh...
meh...
Joined: 23 Mar 2000
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I need a new game to play, but with no time to invest in immersing myself in one I just end up going back to old favourites for half an hour at a time.

My eldest on the other hand is getting into some PC games, he (7) likes pinball and Terraria at the moment. He was very impressed that my player visited his world one evening and helped decorate his castle (and left a fancy sword in his weapons chest).
Having to consider a second Steam account soon I think, for a bit of multiplayer action - particularly when he wants to get into Minecraft.. does anyone else do this with their young ones?
edit: so minecraft isn't even on Steam? Shows how much I know these days... :p




Last edited by vesp on 12-05-2018 04:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 15828
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Mat Linnett wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.


And that's what you get from watching, not playing.
As the player, you'd have to be aware of your surroundings, whether any other NPCs have line of sight on you or your target, whether you should be in the area or not, whether you're wearing the right disguise to be in the area... lots of situational awareness that won't come across to people watching that haven't played the game before.
Most FPS games could be reduced to "I watched a guy move a cursor over another guy and click a button" if you bring it down to that, but as you are fully aware, that's facile in the exteme.


Eh, I finished Hitman Absolution and the AI was absolute trash. Looks like that hasn't changed one bit and I think that's kind of significant in a game that relies on AI behaviour so much.




Top
                 

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7836
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 02:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


...
You do know Absolution is widely regarded as the worst Hitman, and the largest deviation from the formula?




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51402
PostPosted: 12-05-2018 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
I'm also playing through all of Half-Life 2 again :)


Nice :D




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51402
PostPosted: 12-05-2018 02:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Don Carlos wrote:
Κracus wrote:
You haven't played Red Dead 2.


Not yet

Assassins Creed Origins and Spiderman to play before I buy RDR2


Im very much enjoying Origins - its massive and full of stuff to do. I have 16 hours into it this week...which is many for me.




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5093
PostPosted: 12-06-2018 04:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


See I can't stand the AC games anymore, I got bored of the repetitive nature of the game I don't think I've played any of the AC games since the one where they introduced sailing and I haven't finished one of them since AC2. Spiderman is probably similar, I'd like to play it, just to swing around for a bit but I'd probably get bored of it in a week. Even with RDR2 out, I still find myself playing a lot of rocketleague and starcraft 2 these days.




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43756
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


vesp wrote:
I need a new game to play, but with no time to invest in immersing myself in one I just end up going back to old favourites for half an hour at a time.

My eldest on the other hand is getting into some PC games, he (7) likes pinball and Terraria at the moment. He was very impressed that my player visited his world one evening and helped decorate his castle (and left a fancy sword in his weapons chest).
Having to consider a second Steam account soon I think, for a bit of multiplayer action - particularly when he wants to get into Minecraft.. does anyone else do this with their young ones?
edit: so minecraft isn't even on Steam? Shows how much I know these days... :p


my oldest (of 8) casually plays minecraft from time to time, basically just creative mode. He has friends from school who are obsessed with the game and when they come over he just tags along. He just doesn't seem as interested in the game other than faffing about when he's bored.

We're smashing through Guacamelee in co-op together, he loves it. He has genuine lols over the corny jokes and animations, and the combat system is basically just button mashing.
I'll probably have to do the harder fights alone when we get there... at some point the combat system actually requires you to pay attention.


Meanwhile I gave Dead Cells a go, and I can't seem to put it down. The game is very punishing but the controls are so fluid and fast that you don't care that you have to start over *yet again*.
For those who don't know: Dead Cells is a selfproclaimed "Roguevania', ie a Metroidvania map layout but with Roguelike rules - permadeath, generated maps, exponentially harder each level of the dungeon you enter. The only thing thats retained between deaths are permanent upgrades/abilities (which you buy with collected 'cells' at a vendor between levels) and the increased chance of finding better items each playthrough. An excellent game :up:




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42684
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
Meanwhile I gave Dead Cells a go, and I can't seem to put it down. The game is very punishing but the controls are so fluid and fast that you don't care that you have to start over *yet again*.
For those who don't know: Dead Cells is a selfproclaimed "Roguevania', ie a Metroidvania map layout but with Roguelike rules - permadeath, generated maps, exponentially harder each level of the dungeon you enter. The only thing thats retained between deaths are permanent upgrades/abilities (which you buy with collected 'cells' at a vendor between levels) and the increased chance of finding better items each playthrough. An excellent game :up:


When I read this I was going like "yeah and I bet it looks like it was made in 1990 in some faux attempt to look "retro".
And I found myself a YouTube video to prove myself right and... well... I don't know what to say.
It does look like a 1990 game in the sense that it's all pixel art but the animations are real smooth, it features modern high quality lighting effects and the SFX all look like they would in a modern game. I actually like their blend of old and new.

Good job chap. Keep enjoying this game as I probably won't because I can't find much enjoyment in roguelikes in general.




Top
                 

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7836
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yeah, Dead Cells is the good stuff. I bought it in early access a while back, but also recently picked it up for the Switch, and it's a perfect mobile game. Really makes the train commute fly by.

Of course, it's taken a back seat to Diablo 3 on the Switch at the moment, which I think I actually prefer to the PC version. I've been playing the two versions back-to-back to compare, and while inventory management is nowhere near as good as it is on PC, and there's absolutely no point playing Monk as there's no control over where Dashing Strike lands, you gain a lot from the game not being always online.

On top of which, the controls feel snappier. Anyone who's played Diablo 3 on PC will know there are frequent instances where you'll hit a skill key and it won't respond immediately.
Not so on Switch. You press a button, the skill associated with that button immediately triggers. On top of which, you can chord commands so that by holding down buttons, skills continue to cycle.

This all serves to make you feel more connected to the game.

When I initially bought my Switch, I thought I would never be using it for mobile gaming, but now I'm never using it for anything but mobile gaming.




Top
                 

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
Joined: 16 Aug 2000
Posts: 17797
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The original Farcry and Serious Sam 3



_________________
Image


Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51402
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


DENZ!!!!




Top
                 

meh...
meh...
Joined: 23 Mar 2000
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:

my oldest (of 8) casually plays minecraft from time to time, basically just creative mode. He has friends from school who are obsessed with the game and when they come over he just tags along. He just doesn't seem as interested in the game other than faffing about when he's bored.

We're smashing through Guacamelee in co-op together, he loves it. He has genuine lols over the corny jokes and animations, and the combat system is basically just button mashing.
I'll probably have to do the harder fights alone when we get there... at some point the combat system actually requires you to pay attention.


:up: yeah that's my experience at the moment, some of the "finesse" just isn't there yet for boss fights etc. If it's 2-player I can usually help him through it, but I do get mocked if I end up dying to the boss as well... (hey I don't get to play as much these days! rusty old thumbs...) He'll play Mario on his DS and our old Wii and is not bad with a controller to be honest... terraria is giving him a bit of trouble learning keyboard/mouse dexterity but he's getting there!
I might give Guacamelee a try it looks quite fun




Top
                 

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
Joined: 16 Aug 2000
Posts: 17797
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Don Carlos wrote:
DENZ!!!!


Quote:
Hey!! I thought about this place the other day and sure enough this place is still going strong. I am coming back. I have been gaming a lot but not quake until this morning. Having a blast playing Quake again.



_________________
Image


Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43756
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 05:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


not sure how I feel about this :paranoid:




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5093
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 05:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You do have a ridiculous gamerscore... I think I play more games but my gamerscore is lower cause I don't obsess over that stuff.


Lol... shit never mind. I just did mine and I'm 1% across the board.

Shit I put in 1534 hours. I call bullshit on pubg being my most played tho. I played a shit ton of rocket league.




Top
                 

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 15666
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Still mostly beat saber. Nearing 700 hours.

But. Contractors VR is fun. Really good gun mechanics and shooty bits. Would recommend.




Top
                 

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
Joined: 11 Aug 2000
Posts: 48081
PostPosted: 12-21-2018 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
not sure how I feel about this :paranoid:



Bro, how do you find the time????1




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23765
PostPosted: 12-21-2018 08:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Holy shit. I’m wondering the same...




Top
                 

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
Joined: 10 Dec 1999
Posts: 12134
PostPosted: 12-21-2018 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I beat Red Dead Redemption 2.

10/10




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23765
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 06:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Fuck, I thought I was done, but now I’m a ranch hand!

But yeah, it’s an easy 10/10...




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20356
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I'm guessing more like 8 or of 10 becuz of the two of yas spastic natures...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23765
PostPosted: 12-24-2018 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


If you weren’t so poor you’d know it was a 10. lol, having to wait for Christmas...




Top
                 

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
Joined: 10 Dec 1999
Posts: 12134
PostPosted: 12-24-2018 09:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Its a slow burn. Sat through all 35 minutes of credits enjoying the great soundtrack and watching the clips that tied up everything nicely right to the beginning of RDR1. I'm glad I refreshed my memory on the RDR1 story via youtube before starting this game. It made the epilogue much better.

I felt like I did a ton of exploring but looking at the compendium I only came across half of the 550 or so animals in the game. :shrug:




Top
                 

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
Joined: 11 Aug 2000
Posts: 48081
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I’ve not touched it in weeks. I don’t know how you guys find the time.




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20356
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


shaft wrote:
Its a slow burn. Sat through all 35 minutes of credits enjoying the great soundtrack and watching the clips that...


No way you are married with kids...




Top
                 

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
Joined: 10 Dec 1999
Posts: 12134
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yeah, only took me two months to beat it. Where did I find the time?




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20356
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Easily when u have no life...




Top
                 

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
Joined: 10 Dec 1999
Posts: 12134
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I guess you would know...lol?




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23765
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


shaft wrote:
Its a slow burn. Sat through all 35 minutes of credits enjoying the great soundtrack and watching the clips that tied up everything nicely right to the beginning of RDR1. I'm glad I refreshed my memory on the RDR1 story via youtube before starting this game. It made the epilogue much better.

I felt like I did a ton of exploring but looking at the compendium I only came across half of the 550 or so animals in the game. :shrug:


I played RDR1, but it’s been so long, I don’t remember much. I’ll have to watch the recap once I’m done, or I might even play it again (I guess it’s been remastered?).

I’m like 84% complete and Part 2 of the epilogue.

Maybe around 200 on the compendium...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23765
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Doombrain wrote:
I’ve not touched it in weeks. I don’t know how you guys find the time.


I’m not sure what you mean. Everyone’s life is different and our responsibilities/obligations aren’t the same...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23765
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Of course, this is different than being in the top 1% like some people...




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 15828
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


shaft wrote:
I guess you would know...lol?



Just remember he has 8 kids who think of him as the male standard. Sad! :alert:




Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group