Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        New TOOL Album

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New TOOL Album

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This needs its own thread.

Single's out:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was just about to post this :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same :)
Sounds unmistakably Tool. A bit too much perhaps. It's like "didn't they release this song before?"
But I hope that's intentional to tell the fans that "hey, after 13 years, we're still Tool"

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's reassuring more than anything else. I'm glad he hasn't gone off the deepend and gone off point, he has Pucifer (who I don't like at all) to do that with. This is definitely a Tool song.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He was on Joe Rogan's podcast last week to promote the album, and announce that he'd finally put Tool's catalogue on streaming services. :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't see this fitting on one side of a 45rpm vinyl disc

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-07-2019 07:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds good. I just hope the rest of the album has some harder riffs, à la 10,000 days...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-08-2019 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

While I largely use Spotify now, any word on how one would go about buying it in some physical form?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-08-2019 07:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh, just like you would buy any other album...?

edit:
official pre-order links: http://smarturl.it/TOOLFIa

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-08-2019 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@obsidian:
Do you want CD or vynil? Not every artist sells vynil records today. But most of them should sell at least CD records, if you want it in a physical form. Nothing actually stops you from burning the MP3 files you download from Spotify (yes, Spotify shall present you a way to backup your bought albums to your computer, in case of some shortage) into an Audio CD format. I have ImgBurn for this purpose and its in-built CUE Sheet Editor.

Personally, I like to use Audacity to join it up to one large up to 80 minutes long track and save it directly in Audio CD data format (PCM 16bit LE, 44.1 kHz) with Microsoft WAVE header (*.wav file), and write CUE sheet all by myself in Sublime Text (I have syntax highlighting for CUE Sheet format).

If I want to play the CUE Sheet in Windows Media Player, I have to use WMPCDText extension, that enables the CD Text support for WMP. I find it better than use VLC Media Player that likes to "correct" some mistakes like artist in track name, etc. Some songs in some albums are like with parenthesis (like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones), or using slash ("/") to separate names of combined tracks (two tracks in one), like "Nothing Left to Say / Rocks" by Imagine Dragons. Some songs introduce also colons (":") or dashes ("-") in song names. All of these inputs confuses VLC Media Player into thinking it's incorrectly labeled and it tries to repair it. No need to say that it's wrong and I don't know how to remove that. So I use now obsolete WMP, because Groove Music does not support Audio CDs at all, only downloaded or streamed music (well, downloaded nowadays, since Groove Music streaming platform has been cancelled).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-08-2019 11:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking hell :olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
While I largely use Spotify now, any word on how one would go about buying it in some physical form?

I am not sure if this is a joke or really fucking terrifying :paranoid:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 01:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol yea, next thing Obsidian is going to post about his latest discovery: a thing, made of paper, that contains text and it doesn't require any batteries!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree, it’s crazy to think about buying an actual physical copy, but if I was to buy any album, it would be a Tool album. I actually bought 10,000 Days when it was released. The case was really cool. It was hard paper/cardboard and had these glasses you could look through and view the trippy cover art. Nothing like I’d seen before...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tool albums ranked:
Undertow
Aenima
Lateralis
10,000 gays

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 06:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I agree, it’s crazy to think about buying an actual physical copy

That's not the point. Actually, it's not my point.
I am kind of amazed that someone would unironically ask how to buy a physical copy of an album (for a moment assuming this is what obsidian did).
It's like, have we moved this far beyond CD's and DVD's already that people have to ask this?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What kind of moron buys physical copies of music?...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-09-2019 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
That's not the point. Actually, it's not my point.
I am kind of amazed that someone would unironically ask how to buy a physical copy of an album (for a moment assuming this is what obsidian did).
It's like, have we moved this far beyond CD's and DVD's already that people have to ask this?

Young adults today were born into a totally digital world. Flip phones are a relic to them, let alone CDs.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-10-2019 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't see what the big deal is with Tool. They're good, but nothing spectacular. They sound like a mixture of other bands.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-10-2019 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
What kind of moron buys physical copies of music?...

The kind that doesn't want to lose their whole collection when a drive dies or cloud server bites it. You do realize that cloud servers are just that, a server that has multiple access methods. Subject to the same failures.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-10-2019 09:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, yeah, but redundancy. Look it up in the dictionary.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-10-2019 09:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is with Tool. They're good, but nothing spectacular. They sound like a mixture of other bands.

No taste is a taste as well

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-11-2019 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Scourge wrote:

No taste is a taste as well

Apparently.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-11-2019 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Uh, yeah, but redundancy. Look it up in the dictionary.

I understand that, but shit still happens.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-11-2019 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Simmer down...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-12-2019 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still buy hard copies of a lot of my music. Granted, I immediately rip it to FLAC and run that from there on out, but I still like having a physical copy of my music.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-13-2019 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still have some of vynil discs. Sometimes I play them on my old turnable from 80s.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2019 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, it’s good. As was expected...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-30-2019 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed
Very much enjoying it :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-31-2019 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

So it looks like the physical copy has a screen imbedded into the case that plays a video (comes with a usb cable to charge it). It also comes with the CD, a code for a MP3 copy, and an artwork booklet... :up:

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-31-2019 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The guy is a Putz!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-06-2019 04:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm not too impressed by the album. It's kind of the same thing I felt with the Fear Inoculum song itself:

Eraser wrote:
Sounds unmistakably Tool. A bit too much perhaps. It's like "didn't they release this song before?"
But I hope that's intentional to tell the fans that "hey, after 13 years, we're still Tool"

The whole album brings absolutely nothing new to the table. And it's more than Tool just sticking to a signature sound. It's like I've heard it all before and there aren't really many moments where I go "oh wow, this is such a fantastic song" like I had with stuff like Parabola, Ticks & Leeches or Right in Two. Even in the choice of synth and percussion sounds, they're just taking the exact same sounds and samples as they've used on previous albums.
I guess stuff will need a bit more time to grow on me, but my first impression is that it's all a bit too mellow as well, with too few explosive highlights. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid and enjoyable album, but it's not exactly the second coming of Christ either.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-06-2019 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7empest and invincible are good... Good parts in others songs. Undertow is still the best tool...

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 09-06-2019 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's a solid and enjoyable album, but it's not exactly the second coming of Christ either.

Pretty much my stated opinion of the band in general, but when I say this I have no taste. :smirk:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2019 10:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're not alone Scourge. I've always found them competent, but boringly safe. Somehow, incredibly middle class.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.