Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dystopian America


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Dystopian America

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34968
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Fox News has essentially been State Media for a while now. They don't even try to hide it. It's so obvious from their sycophantic interviews with Agent Orange.




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
Nice one, Faux News...

Fox News published digitally altered and misleading images on its website's homepage Friday that made a demonstration in Seattle, in which a group of largely peaceful Black Lives Matter protesters have occupied six city blocks, appear violent and dangerous.
The deceitful tactic was called out by The Seattle Times. The local newspaper reported that when it asked Fox News about the images, the network removed them.


https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/13/medi ... index.html


https://imgur.com/0HJypvE




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
(edit: this post is in reply to YGP, not Transient)

There is clear and irrefutable proof that the police in general has a problem with negative race based prejudices and biases (aka: racism). I don't understand how, at this point, after everything that's been shown and done the past two weeks, you can still deny this.
Pointing out institutional racism in the police force won't fix it, but it's a start for action. In some places, action is being taken, further cementing the fact that there is a problem and it's large enough to need fixing. But in the police ranks, there's a secondary problem, and this is that cops are rarely if ever held accountable. Their racist behavior isn't corrected. In some cases, it's even implicitly encouraged.

Arguing that they're also doing good things is just... Jesus Christ man, it's such a red herring bullshit argument to throw in, it's actually quite distasteful at this point.

Even more distasteful is to claim it's a problem of "respect" on "both sides". That shit is just so detached from reality. I can just about hear Trump talk about Charlottesville again.

I'm thinking between you and Whiskey, he's probably the least racist of the two.


I love this new notion that if you don't march in lockstep with the media latest directive, you're a racist. Talk about distasteful. Listen, you've clearly eaten the shit all the way up to the asshole. So further discussion of this topic is pointless. You'll likely get the reactionary legislation you want, but it's not going to change the human component. People aren't going to suddenly become more compassionate or cooperative as a result. What will likely happen is people will simply avoid law enforcement as a profession because it's to difficult to preserve their own life while defending others... I hope you're ready what comes next, because you asked for it.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34968
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 02:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Again with the black-and-white world view. You are completely and totally incapable of (or unwilling to engage in) nuance. Instead, you claim the conversation here is pointless and give up. How convenient for you. Even though there are countless examples of police reform and bias training decreasing police violence and insitutional racism on a local level, you still insist that people can't change? That sounds to me like projection.

And if a potential cop decides not to join the force because he's afraid he might get blowback for using excessive force, that person can fuck right off and become a mall cop or a bouncer or something. The police force doesn't need a coward like that, and the streets will be safer for it. Cops know full well when they join the force that they are putting their lives at risk, it's part of the job desciption. They are held to a much higher standard because they're given a fucking gun.

Fun fact: loggers, roofers, truck drivers, and farmers all have higher workplace fatalities than cops. I don't see them quaking in their boots.




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Gwamps should prove his love of cops by trying to hug every one of them. From behind. At night.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43355
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 09:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The whole notion that cops should fear for their lives is questionable at best.




Top
                 

Timed Out
Timed Out
Joined: 02 Aug 2000
Posts: 37914
PostPosted: 06-13-2020 11:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote





Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
The whole notion that cops should fear for their lives is questionable at best.






Questionable? What bubble do you live in?




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20779
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Lol obviously Gramps u have never taken statistics..ur the one in the bubble. You show 2 examples... One not even in America.
Police officers have safe jobs. They don't even make any list of top dangerous jobs... Not even close




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20779
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Also, fuck u...




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43355
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


lol, when even Geoff chimes in to put you in your place it's time to just give up and admit defeat.




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


the curse of the 21st century: "it only happened if there's footage" :dts:




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


lol owned by goofrey

Fuck off back to your lonely bog, yourswampa




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24383
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Why is no one talking about the hazards of office workers? I’ll give a couple great examples:





#officelivesmatter




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


scared? wrote:
Lol obviously Gramps u have never taken statistics..ur the one in the bubble. You show 2 examples... One not even in America.
Police officers have safe jobs. They don't even make any list of top dangerous jobs... Not even close


Spoken like a true dish washer. Since it's not the most dangerous, it's not dangerous?

According to the FBI your odds of dying by police (during an arrest) is approximately 1 in 8,000. According to the National Safety council it is more likely that you die from bicycling, choking, fire, drowning, motorcycle or simply walking. So by your logic, we don't have an issue with police. :dork:




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
lol, when even Geoff chimes in to put you in your place it's time to just give up and admit defeat.


Yeah, he sure put me in my place... Right at the top.

Idiots.




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51787
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 01:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
scared? wrote:
Lol obviously Gramps u have never taken statistics..ur the one in the bubble. You show 2 examples... One not even in America.
Police officers have safe jobs. They don't even make any list of top dangerous jobs... Not even close


Spoken like a true dish washer.


:olo: :olo: :olo:

Got me




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43355
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 10:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
scared? wrote:
Lol obviously Gramps u have never taken statistics..ur the one in the bubble. You show 2 examples... One not even in America.
Police officers have safe jobs. They don't even make any list of top dangerous jobs... Not even close


Spoken like a true dish washer. Since it's not the most dangerous, it's not dangerous?

According to the FBI your odds of dying by police (during an arrest) is approximately 1 in 8,000. According to the National Safety council it is more likely that you die from bicycling, choking, fire, drowning, motorcycle or simply walking. So by your logic, we don't have an issue with police. :dork:

The secret to winning a discussion is to come up with arguments that support your views, not contradict them :dork:




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 8086422528

In this video we see a brave, handsome American police officer grab a detained women's breast, who then breaks away not wanting to be groped and gets shot point blank by rubber bullets and beaten by batons with 4 equally brave, handsome American police officers surrounding her while they shove another woman to the ground.

Gwamp the blubbering blockhead is the epitome of what's so wrong about his disgusting third-world shithole and the cowardly cartel of fatass cops he loves so much.

Oh and Whiskey, if you're still lurking, here's some footage of property damage that should piss you off. The criminals doing this should be shot too, right?




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43355
PostPosted: 06-14-2020 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Captain Mazda wrote:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1268391718086422528


Wow, she stands there taking the beating like a goddamn Boromir. That takes some balls.

Sickening how the groping cop calls out to "hit her, hit her" and his buddies just go full on Predator on her.

edit:
the rest of that Twitter thread is filled with similar stuff by the way. Unbelievable.
Idiots like YGP who still claim these are just incidents and there's no problem are totally disconnected from reality.

edit2:
oh shit, I didn't realize this guy was numbering the incidents.
So far I've scrolled down to #240. Not even at the end :eek:




Top
                 

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
Joined: 03 May 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


In Germany we are just having a political discussion about crossing out the word "race" in our constitution.
Well, we don't really have a constitution but we have a "Grundgesetz" which is pretty much the same thing.

Some of our parties would like to change the term. AFAIK it's not quite clear what the new term should be. I'd go for "ethnicity". I think that's as good a compromise as you could have for the time being. It should change even farther in the years coming.

Changing a constitution or a Grundgesetz is a pretty decent act. Keep that in mind please.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43355
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


GitHub's entering PC madness by abolishing the term "master":

https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-to ... eferences/




Top
                 

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
Joined: 03 May 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


didn't read.
Sudo?

read.
Pretty laughable really. Talking about symantics in an abstract environement.

There's no such thing as race in bilology though.




Last edited by Ferrao10 on 06-15-2020 06:29 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5507
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Ok that's going a little too far imho...




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
Sickening how the groping cop calls out to "hit her, hit her" and his buddies just go full on Predator on her.

edit:
the rest of that Twitter thread is filled with similar stuff by the way. Unbelievable.
Idiots like YGP who still claim these are just incidents and there's no problem are totally disconnected from reality.



There are thousands and thousand of positive interaction every day, but that doesn't fit your narrative.

I guess you need to make shit up to win your arguments. I never said there was "no problem". There certainly is a problem. However, it not entirely a policing problem. It's a human problem. People have a natural fight or flight instinct that makes them do irrational things when they feel threatened. At times, this makes for tragic interactions between police and the public. Until you can remove the human condition from law enforcement bad things are going to happen.

Have you ever been on a ride along? Have you had detailed conversations with a law enforcement officer? Do you ever wonder why you think an officers actions are a bit harsh or abrupt when dealing with irrational or combative people? Have you ever done or watched any self defense training? Do you know how quickly you could be on the opposite end of a gun, maybe your own? Do you know how fast someone with a weapon can close the distance between you and them? One false move, one command ignored, one fraction of a second and you could be dead. Go to work every day with that in the back of your head... Why don't officers deserve the same respect as the citizens they protect. They have families that they want to go home to at the end of the day. They don't want to be risking their life every time they write a traffic citation. But they are.

I'm certain you and most people like you don't have a clue how difficult it is to be a police officer and make the best/right decision EVERY time while facing danger. Being the waste of skin that you are, I'm sure you don't care.




Last edited by YourGrandpa on 06-16-2020 03:46 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
Ok that's going a little too far imho...


It's never too far anymore. People who've never experienced adversity, don't know real adversity. So everything that can offend must be changed, even if that offends others. It's a never ending spiral.




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-15-2020 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The only adversity you face is getting your head through doorways and writing at a third grade level.




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-16-2020 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
GitHub's entering PC madness by abolishing the term "master":

https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-to ... eferences/


are we going to have a substitute name for cotton too?




Top
                 

Elite
Elite
Joined: 25 Mar 2000
Posts: 9969
PostPosted: 06-16-2020 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Captain Mazda wrote:
The only adversity you face is getting your head through doorways and writing at a third grade level.


:olo: :olo:




Top
                 

Elite
Elite
Joined: 25 Mar 2000
Posts: 9969
PostPosted: 06-16-2020 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Sickening how the groping cop calls out to "hit her, hit her" and his buddies just go full on Predator on her.

edit:
the rest of that Twitter thread is filled with similar stuff by the way. Unbelievable.
Idiots like YGP who still claim these are just incidents and there's no problem are totally disconnected from reality.



There are thousands and thousand of positive interaction every day, but that doesn't fit your narrative.

I guess you need to make shit up to win your arguments. I never said there was "no problem". There certainly is a problem. However, it not entirely a policing problem. It's a human problem. People have a natural fight or flight instinct that makes them do irrational things when they feel threatened. At times, this makes for tragic interactions between police and the public. Until you can remove the human condition from law enforcement bad things are going to happen.

Have you ever been on a ride along? Have you had detailed conversations with a law enforcement officer? Do you ever wonder why you think an officers actions are a bit harsh or abrupt when dealing with irrational or combative people? Have you ever done or watched any self defense training? Do you know how quickly you could be on the opposite end of a gun, maybe your own? Do you know how fast someone with a weapon can close the distance between you and them? One false move, one command ignored, one fraction of a second and you could be dead. Go to work every day with that in the back of your head... Why don't officers deserve the same respect as the citizens they protect. They have families that they want to go home to at the end of the day. They don't want to be risking their life every time they write a traffic citation. But they are.

I'm certain you and most people like you don't have a clue how difficult it is to be a police officer and make the best/right decision EVERY time while facing danger. Being the waste of skin that you are, I'm sure you don't care.


Cops ideally should be held to higher standards than the general populace, since they are, practically speaking, agents of the State who are tasked with enforcing the the law of the land. The fact that they are often not held to higher standards means that their plea for more respect falls on deaf ears. The fact that you can become a cop after simply completing a short degree and going through a short police academy program is testament to the fact that they are not held to higher standards than the general populace. As far as I can tell, pretty much any citizen with no prior criminal record, a relevant degree, a willingness to complete four to six months of police academy, and who has no obvious negative mental perturbations can become a cop. This is too lenient.

In my mind cops should be forced to receive some sort of law degrees at bare minimum. Maybe not as far as what a lawyer would do, since most of that has to do with studying case law, but there must be some reasonable middle ground. As far as I know this is not the case. Many citizens go through far more rigorous training and accreditation programs and receive far less power. The only one I can think of off the top of my head whereupon your professional role literally has peoples' lives at risk is that of a professional engineer. In many cases they have to complete a 4 to 8 year degree to even be *eligible* to apply for a professional engineer (P.E. or P.Eng) program, where they then take tutelage under a practicing professional engineer for a further 3 or 4 years. Then they write a test and say an oath, presumably somewhat similar to what a police officer would do. From there on out, they are personally liable for any designs or work that they stamp and sign. If a structural engineer stamps and signs off on the design of a bridge and it collapses four months after completion months and 300 people and all their cars fall into a river and die, the engineer is personally liable and can be taken to court. If they design an electrical system that catches on fire due to negligence in designing the circuit breaker coordination or protective schemes, and it burns down the building killing 80 people, their ass is on the line. Engineers carry liability insurance for this. When was the last fucking time you heard of an engineer being sued in civil court for the deaths of people? I am sure it happens, but it sure the fuck does not happen as often as I have to read about some fucking cowboy shooting someone in the back because he has shit for training and can't handle stress, or because he is just a straight up murderous piece of shit. The reason for this is because professional engineers receive more fucking training, so the dumb pieces of shit get weeded out.

Obviously not every single cop in the world is a piece of shit, but the system itself is at fault, not the people. One of the roles of the system is to weed out scumbag psychopaths from entering the force. You mentioned that it is a people problem - so you agree there. The bad people in the force are a product of the system which provides inadequate training, inadequate admittance procedures, and protects those who commit crimes against their fellow man. Unfortunately fixing people is not only impossible, it's not the actual problem. I've seen so many cases of cops getting put on paid administrative leave, or collecting their pension, after committing heinous crimes. This is part of the rot of the system that I'm talking about. Derek Chauvin was a cop for almost 20 years and yet he somehow thought it was kosher to kneel directly onto someone's jugular vein and windpipe for nearly nine minutes, even though the guy was in handcuffs on his stomach on the ground. I'm not trying to argue that you think Derek is cool - I think we can all agree he is a piece of shit who should spend the rest of his life in prison. I'm trying to argue that the system let him through the cracks, and that is the root problem. Until major reforms are made to this system, nothing will change. Based on the pathetic video of the police union boss screaming into the void the other day - good fucking luck Americans.

The other point is that cops make pretty good money as far as I know. It's probably not enough to become a millionaire overnight or whatever, but I would expect that most cops that have been at it for 10+ years probably pull in six figures. In an ideal world the pay should be based on skill and proficiency at the job, risk factors, etc. If any citizen pulled a mere fraction of the kind of shit that cops get away with on a daily basis, their ass would be fucking curbside in the blink of an eye.




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-16-2020 09:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Lack of accountability in modern society is a huge problem, but doubly so when you take overweight, psychotic Americans born into a war-loving culture of TV violence and sexual repression, and give them a gun and a badge that allows them to run red lights and shoot anyone that does 61 in a 60 zone. No one wants to be accountable for their own words and actions and the police institution breaks any laws it can to make sure its members are safe from due process. This is a system where "investigations" into criminal conduct are done by fellow cops internally and easily swept under the rug unless you want to be labeled as a "snitch" and have the entire force come down on you like a prison gang.

After all, if a random patrolman can get away with horrendous crimes on a regular basis, what the fuck do you think the police chiefs and FBI are up to?




Last edited by Captain Mazda on 06-16-2020 10:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-16-2020 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Also I'm pretty sure most of the North Americans here have had some kind of personal experience dealing with cops. If you get pulled over for a minor traffic infraction and you—regardless of how they're speaking to you—have to treat them like an easily-offended celestial being or risk getting a massive fine or beating, then there's something seriously wrong with the system.

Last thing I want is to take a bullet from a meathead whose academic prowess peaked in high school gym class because I honked at him for playing with his phone at a green light. Granted, the Canadian police situation is not as bad as in the third-world Muricuh but I'm also not Aboriginal or black.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


mrd wrote:
Cops ideally should be held to higher standards than the general populace, since they are, practically speaking, agents of the State who are tasked with enforcing the the law of the land. The fact that they are often not held to higher standards means that their plea for more respect falls on deaf ears. The fact that you can become a cop after simply completing a short degree and going through a short police academy program is testament to the fact that they are not held to higher standards than the general populace. As far as I can tell, pretty much any citizen with no prior criminal record, a relevant degree, a willingness to complete four to six months of police academy, and who has no obvious negative mental perturbations can become a cop. This is too lenient.

In my mind cops should be forced to receive some sort of law degrees at bare minimum. Maybe not as far as what a lawyer would do, since most of that has to do with studying case law, but there must be some reasonable middle ground. As far as I know this is not the case. Many citizens go through far more rigorous training and accreditation programs and receive far less power. The only one I can think of off the top of my head whereupon your professional role literally has peoples' lives at risk is that of a professional engineer. In many cases they have to complete a 4 to 8 year degree to even be *eligible* to apply for a professional engineer (P.E. or P.Eng) program, where they then take tutelage under a practicing professional engineer for a further 3 or 4 years. Then they write a test and say an oath, presumably somewhat similar to what a police officer would do. From there on out, they are personally liable for any designs or work that they stamp and sign. If a structural engineer stamps and signs off on the design of a bridge and it collapses four months after completion months and 300 people and all their cars fall into a river and die, the engineer is personally liable and can be taken to court. If they design an electrical system that catches on fire due to negligence in designing the circuit breaker coordination or protective schemes, and it burns down the building killing 80 people, their ass is on the line. Engineers carry liability insurance for this. When was the last fucking time you heard of an engineer being sued in civil court for the deaths of people? I am sure it happens, but it sure the fuck does not happen as often as I have to read about some fucking cowboy shooting someone in the back because he has shit for training and can't handle stress, or because he is just a straight up murderous piece of shit. The reason for this is because professional engineers receive more fucking training, so the dumb pieces of shit get weeded out.

Obviously not every single cop in the world is a piece of shit, but the system itself is at fault, not the people. One of the roles of the system is to weed out scumbag psychopaths from entering the force. You mentioned that it is a people problem - so you agree there. The bad people in the force are a product of the system which provides inadequate training, inadequate admittance procedures, and protects those who commit crimes against their fellow man. Unfortunately fixing people is not only impossible, it's not the actual problem. I've seen so many cases of cops getting put on paid administrative leave, or collecting their pension, after committing heinous crimes. This is part of the rot of the system that I'm talking about. Derek Chauvin was a cop for almost 20 years and yet he somehow thought it was kosher to kneel directly onto someone's jugular vein and windpipe for nearly nine minutes, even though the guy was in handcuffs on his stomach on the ground. I'm not trying to argue that you think Derek is cool - I think we can all agree he is a piece of shit who should spend the rest of his life in prison. I'm trying to argue that the system let him through the cracks, and that is the root problem. Until major reforms are made to this system, nothing will change. Based on the pathetic video of the police union boss screaming into the void the other day - good fucking luck Americans.

The other point is that cops make pretty good money as far as I know. It's probably not enough to become a millionaire overnight or whatever, but I would expect that most cops that have been at it for 10+ years probably pull in six figures. In an ideal world the pay should be based on skill and proficiency at the job, risk factors, etc. If any citizen pulled a mere fraction of the kind of shit that cops get away with on a daily basis, their ass would be fucking curbside in the blink of an eye.


When you say "held to a higher standard". What do you mean? Do you mean with compliance to laws? Certainly you're not expecting humans to be better humans simply because of their profession. Humans make bad/wrong decisions ALL the time due to a myriad of emotions, thoughts and experiences. Hence the phrase, "I'm only human". Furthermore, most officers don't want more respect than anyone else. They want the same respect. You wouldn't tell the person taking your order at a restaurant to go fuck themselves when they ask you for your order. You'd nicely comply with the process, get your meal and have a nice day.

I do agree that law enforcement needs more training. Having a good command of what the laws are and how to apply them is paramount (which I think most officer get that training). What they really need is more reoccurring live action training where they are not only get physically trained, they are also trained how to verbally deescalate a situation. This type of repetitive training would help police become more comfortable in desperate situations. Instead of a panicked reaction, a safer and measured response becomes more instinctive. Defunding the police would certainly insure officers don't get that much needed training. And I imagine where you work dictates how much money they make. But most officers usually need to work countless OT details or get to the rank of sergeant before they make 6 figures.

I fully disagree with you regarding people. People are a problem. Many are entitled, disrespectful and self-absorbed. They have little to no respect for the law or law enforcement. They don't know how dangerous it is to be a law enforcement officer or understand how their physical interactions could be perceived as life threatening. They are only thinking of themselves. If you want to be treated with respect, you treat others with respect. It's that human aspect again. You don't know if someone is having a bad day because they just lost a loved one or aren't feeling well. You don't know if they just got done arguing with their spouse or getting their ass chewed by the boss. You likely don't know anything about the person you're about to interact with. You simply can't be disrespectful to that person in any way and not think you could have a poor interaction. That goes for both parties.




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20779
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Wall of moronic words^^^... Pathetic...




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The story of your life.




Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group