Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dystopian America


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Dystopian America

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5507
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You're wrong gramps, cops should be paragons of society. They shouldn't be thugs in uniform and the hiring process should vet out those with authoritarian and violent tendencies. You wouldn't hire an ex convict to be a cop for example. It shouldn't be a surprise that you can't be a cop unless you have an impeccable background to anyone. The fact that there's so many thugs and people with obvious anger issues going around policing others is an absolute mockery of how our society deals with putting people in those positions. Not only that but they should absolutely be held to a higher standard should they commit crimes while performing their duties. Same for politicians but instead the opposite is the truth. We don't hold them to account when they screw up and the system instead tries to shield them. The whole system from the top down needs re-evaluation.




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24383
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


lol, twenty years of arguing with Gramps. You people will never learn...




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
You're wrong gramps, cops should be paragons of society. They shouldn't be thugs in uniform and the hiring process should vet out those with authoritarian and violent tendencies. You wouldn't hire an ex convict to be a cop for example. It shouldn't be a surprise that you can't be a cop unless you have an impeccable background to anyone. The fact that there's so many thugs and people with obvious anger issues going around policing others is an absolute mockery of how our society deals with putting people in those positions. Not only that but they should absolutely be held to a higher standard should they commit crimes while performing their duties. Same for politicians but instead the opposite is the truth. We don't hold them to account when they screw up and the system instead tries to shield them. The whole system from the top down needs re-evaluation.


1. I'm not wrong. It's my opinion.
2. Only a small percentage of LEOs are bad.
3. They do vet LEO's during the hiring process. The problem is, it's not policy to reevaluate them.
4. LEO's should be held to a higher standard with regards to the law. Nothing else.
5. You should try speaking to a few officers some time. It might help with your clearly skewed perspective.




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20779
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


1. You are wrong
2. A cop is fucking your ex-wife right now.
3. Dumb ppl like you don't realize how dumb they are.
4. You choose to live in the dong of America.
5. You suck at Quake and life...




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Hey, there's those moronic words again.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
People are a problem. Many are entitled, disrespectful and self-absorbed. .

Yeah man, just look at all those entitled, self-absorbed people being charged by police in Washington DC 30 minutes before curfew. Just look at all those entitled, self-absorbed people getting shot by rubber bullets while sitting on their front porch. Just look at all those entitled, self-absorbed people who have their property stolen and destroyed by cops while peacefully protesting. And look at the worst of them all, that entitled and self-absorbed motherfucker George Floyd who died of entitlement and his self-absorbing nature.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yes, please continue to prove your biased ignorance by cherry picking instance that support your assertions while continuing to ignore the millions of positive interactions that happen every year.

You're doing great. It'll will surely get you nowhere. :dork:




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
You're doing great. It'll will surely get you nowhere. :dork:


You can't even use sarcasm properly you blubbering idiot :olo:




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
Yes, please continue to prove your biased ignorance by cherry picking instance that support your assertions while continuing to ignore the millions of positive interactions that happen every year.

You're doing great. It'll will surely get you nowhere. :dork:

There could be a billion-trillion-gazillion-quintillion positive interactions, but as long as the negative interactions are as common as they are, the positives mean fuck all.




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


can i see your data on positive vs negative interactions?




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5507
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:

1. I'm not wrong. It's my opinion.
2. Only a small percentage of LEOs are bad.
3. They do vet LEO's during the hiring process. The problem is, it's not policy to reevaluate them.
4. LEO's should be held to a higher standard with regards to the law. Nothing else.
5. You should try speaking to a few officers some time. It might help with your clearly skewed perspective.



1. Your opinion can be incorrect, like the one you currently believe.
2. Yeah there seems to be more than a small percentage when you look at the riot police vs protesters. Too many instances of police pepper spraying innocent bystanders, peaceful protesters, shooting them point blank with rubber bullets etc... You can't have large scale abhorrent behavior while still stating with a straight face that it's a small problem.
3. The vetting process itself needs to be refined, it's obviously not what it should be. I knew a sheriff in training in the US recently, I had to remove him from my friends list because of his racist views, if he's the next generation of law enforcement he obviously wasn't vetted properly and I suspect many aren't.
4. Yeah... that's what I said.
5. Oh I should try speaking to more officers? You do realize I work with law enforcement right? I work with lawyers, judges, police officers every day and honestly, the police in my area are generally good people. There are a few however that I've crossed paths with that were less than friendly, people with obvious anger problems. The worst offenders in my experience however are jail guards. Again, a lot of them are really good people but many times I've heard comments from them that really make me raise an eyebrow and make me think they really should be in a different line of work. Of course Canadian guidelines vs american ones seem to be very different from the limited interactions I've had with american law enforcement.

At the end of the day, you seem to live in a bubble of rhetorics. It's obvious there's a problem hence the protests.




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24383
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 12:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Just because Gramps thinks the earth is flat doesn’t mean he’s wrong. It’s just his opinion...




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
Yes, please continue to prove your biased ignorance by cherry picking instance that support your assertions while continuing to ignore the millions of positive interactions that happen every year.

You're doing great. It'll will surely get you nowhere. :dork:


There could be a billion-trillion-gazillion-quintillion positive interactions, but as long as the negative interactions are as common as they are, the positives mean fuck all.


Seems like you know exactly what you're talking. Not really though.

You haven't got a clue.




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16232
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


xer0s wrote:
Just because Gramps thinks the earth is flat doesn’t mean he’s wrong. It’s just his opinion...


It only seems that way because his brow blocks the horizon




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
1. Your opinion can be incorrect, like the one you currently believe.
2. Yeah there seems to be more than a small percentage when you look at the riot police vs protesters. Too many instances of police pepper spraying innocent bystanders, peaceful protesters, shooting them point blank with rubber bullets etc... You can't have large scale abhorrent behavior while still stating with a straight face that it's a small problem.
3. The vetting process itself needs to be refined, it's obviously not what it should be. I knew a sheriff in training in the US recently, I had to remove him from my friends list because of his racist views, if he's the next generation of law enforcement he obviously wasn't vetted properly and I suspect many aren't.
4. Yeah... that's what I said.
5. Oh I should try speaking to more officers? You do realize I work with law enforcement right? I work with lawyers, judges, police officers every day and honestly, the police in my area are generally good people. There are a few however that I've crossed paths with that were less than friendly, people with obvious anger problems. The worst offenders in my experience however are jail guards. Again, a lot of them are really good people but many times I've heard comments from them that really make me raise an eyebrow and make me think they really should be in a different line of work. Of course Canadian guidelines vs american ones seem to be very different from the limited interactions I've had with american law enforcement.

At the end of the day, you seem to live in a bubble of rhetorics. It's obvious there's a problem hence the protests.


1. Is my opinion and you haven't an ounce of factual data to prove me wrong. Just a few videos that STATICALLY pale in comparison to every positive interaction. You're statically wrong.
2. Seems is exactly right, genius. When drones like you have the media shoving it up your ass every five minutes, it sure seems like a lot.
3. Yes, your highly limited experience speaks volumes.
4. Maybe that's what you meant, but that's not what you said. You made a blanket statement.
5. Most good, most good, we have a major police problem, but most are good. :dork:

Your land of make-believe must be delightful.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34968
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 05:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


It's all about the statics, people!




Top
                 

Elite
Elite
Joined: 25 Mar 2000
Posts: 9969
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


scared? wrote:
Wall of moronic words^^^... Pathetic...


Sorry you never learned to fuckin' read, maybe your new grandkid can teach ya? <3




Top
                 

Elite
Elite
Joined: 25 Mar 2000
Posts: 9969
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


scared? wrote:
1. You are wrong
2. A cop is fucking your ex-wife right now.
3. Dumb ppl like you don't realize how dumb they are.
4. You choose to live in the dong of America.
5. You suck at Quake and life...


:olo: :olo: :olo:




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 08:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Amazing. Since the BLM protests we've been able to out two racists among ourselves. Who knows, maybe gramps will end up following Whiskey.




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 12054
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
Amazing. Since the BLM protests we've been able to out two racists among ourselves. Who knows, maybe gramps will end up following Whiskey.


Eraser wrote:
................ I'm thinking between you and Whiskey, he's probably the least racist of the two.


You’re listed here as a Moderator Eraser :confused: :smirk: yet continue to slander. Tender your evidence I say!
In the past your insults would have you banned!

Know your comments are beyond distasteful as are comments from one or two others here.

Captain Mazda, your unfounded racist neo-Nazi insults remain reprehensible.

Pext wrote:
........... Ban this idiot.


No need to ban I just won’t add to the forum as it crumbles under the weight of malicious personal attacks.

Moderators you would or should see that some posters who shield behind the anonymity of this forum, are casting malicious slurs and are damaging the forum integrity. It was once a place for open honest discussion, sadly no longer…….



_________________
My old WWW here :D


Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-17-2020 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Whiskey 7 wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Amazing. Since the BLM protests we've been able to out two racists among ourselves. Who knows, maybe gramps will end up following Whiskey.


Eraser wrote:
................ I'm thinking between you and Whiskey, he's probably the least racist of the two.


You’re listed here as a Moderator Eraser :confused: :smirk: yet continue to slander. Tender your evidence I say!
In the past your insults would have you banned!

Know your comments are beyond distasteful as are comments from one or two others here.

Captain Mazda, your unfounded racist neo-Nazi insults remain reprehensible.

Pext wrote:
........... Ban this idiot.


No need to ban I just won’t add to the forum as it crumbles under the weight of malicious personal attacks.

Moderators you would or should see that some posters who shield behind the anonymity of this forum, are casting malicious slurs and are damaging the forum integrity. It was once a place for open honest discussion, sadly no longer…….


Oh, well, you were calling for people to be shot without trial. Reading back about it though, the racist narrative kind of creeped into there, although there's a good chance you wouldn't have made the same statements if these were primarily white people protesting.
Admittedly, we've been too harsh on you and I apologize for that. I would like for you to stay at the forums as a contributing member. Your input has always been appreciated.

YourGrandpa, though, he's still way up shit creek without a paddle.




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 12:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
there's a good chance you wouldn't have made the same statements if these were primarily white people protesting


there's an excellent chance you're not a mind-reader and couldn't possibly know one way or the other

and while we're on the subject of white people, nothing says "holier than thou" quite like white people putting thoughts into other white people's heads and judging them for those thoughts for the sake of a few social advantage points :alert:




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


seremtan wrote:
Eraser wrote:
there's a good chance you wouldn't have made the same statements if these were primarily white people protesting


there's an excellent chance you're not a mind-reader and couldn't possibly know one way or the other

and while we're on the subject of white people, nothing says "holier than thou" quite like white people putting thoughts into other white people's heads and judging them for those thoughts for the sake of a few social advantage points :alert:

Hey yeah I've given this some thought and came to the conclusion that, yes, you're right. My statement was uncalled for.
I also came to the conclusion that I am a psychic mind-reader and, god damn boy, get your mind out of the gutter.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20724
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 03:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
YourGrandpa, though, he's still way up shit creek without a paddle.


Oh no, a left extremist thinks I'M up shits creek. What will I do? :olo:

If your chicken comes home to roost, we'll see who's up shits creek.




Last edited by YourGrandpa on 06-18-2020 04:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5507
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Honestly, anyone that thinks Whiskey is a racist homophobe is kinda out on a limb. He never struck me as the type unless I missed something he posted. His "shoot the looters" comment is just an old fashioned way of thinking and isn't in any way indicative of racial prejudice. Yeah I disagree with that and that's ok, it definitely isn't a reason to leave the forum though.

I've encountered similar situations long ago and I'm happy things played out the way they did. I remember one time when my apartment was broken into, the thief had stolen a bunch of trinkets and items from my home and busted the front door down. Ironically the most expensive thing he stole from me was the backpack he used to stuff all my belongings into. It was a kelty backpack that had cost me 200$ I believe, I had put some stickers on it to personalize it so after the theft I thought it would be funny to see someone walking by with that on as I'd be able to recognize it instantly. about a week later I heard a knock on my door and not expecting any visitors I had a inkling that this was the robber returning to steal from me so I took the only weapon I had, a medieval blunt mace. (it wasn't but just for the sake of this story just pretend it was because explaining what it really was will take too long, it was otherwise the same shape/form weight and equally dangerous.)

So I hid in a closet with no door, this closet faced the living room where the would be thief would have to walk through and once in the living room there was only one way back and that would be through me and this guy was going to eat the business end of my braining device. Braining... I love that word, look it up. Anyway, the guy downstairs must have known death was likely waiting for him inside and decided to go elsewhere, when I realized he wasn't coming in I ran to the window and peeked out and I spot the guy walking up the street with my backpack! I was right and it WAS the robber from the week before so I ran out after him but he was nowhere in sight.

Up the street a little there was a guy having a smoke outside so I ran to him and asked him if he'd seen a guy with a purple backpack walk by here and he said yeah, I just saw him walk into this apartment building next door. He tells me he's a parole officer after I explain to him the situation and so we call the police, I'd left my weapon at home at this point too it should be noted. So I'm on my cellphone, amazing I had one back then, might have been a nokia, I bet it still works. As I'm on the phone with the police explaining the situation the guy walks out of the building with another obviously trying to stop him dressed in a bathrobe so me and the parole officer guy grab the guy and he tries to get away but I have a firm grip on the backpack handle up top and kinda have free reign to make him do whatever I want and take him down. So now this guy is on the sidewalk, I'm pulling this strap that's pinning his arms backwards while I simultaneously shove my foot in his back. The police on the phone are asking me what's going on to which I'm replying "nothing" while kicking this asshole in the back. Ultimately, he was caught, my backpack was retuned with a little extra crowbar for good measure that he must have been using to break down doors.

My point though is that had this robber entered my home I likely would have killed him. It wouldn't have been my intent but the weapon I'd chosen to use would have been devastating. One strike to the head and I can only imagine brain parts vacating the surrounding blow. I'm happy he didn't come in but not because I was afraid but rather I was afraid of what I'd have done to him and have to live with. Comments like looters should be shot are comments made in ignorance. I am certain that given the chance and realizing the consequences of those actions Whiskey and most of the people who post here would opt to go a different route given the same situation.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Weird flex...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24383
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 06:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


lol

Oh Kracus, never change...




Top
                 

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7891
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 09:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Can we change his title to "Medieval Mace Mafia"?
Things that make you go MMM :D




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
I also came to the conclusion that I am a psychic mind-reader and, god damn boy, get your mind out of the gutter.


but your mum is just so hot i can't help it :dts:




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 34473
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


100% checks out. i had to see off three hussars with my halberd the other day

thank god i was wearing my chain mail at the time




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5507
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Ok... so to clarify the mace was actually a practice gold club meant for the indoors. As such, it has a shortened hilt with a fist sized weight fixed onto the end of it to simulate the actual weight of a driver club. You wind up with a what's essentially a weapon with an excellent grip to allow for maximum power. I would not want to be on the receiving end of the business side of this club. The end isn't even round, it's cylinders of various sizes I assume you can remove to adjust the weight. The varying sizes create various edges, each of which were fairly sharp, done right I'm sure I could create an escher painting on whoever's face is unfortunate enough to create the need for me to use it.




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24383
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Keep going, I’m almost there...




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 12:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


seremtan wrote:
Eraser wrote:
I also came to the conclusion that I am a psychic mind-reader and, god damn boy, get your mind out of the gutter.


but your mum is just so hot i can't help it :dts:

See, that's why I'm saying get your mind out of the gutter.
My mom's been dead for 22 years
To each their kinks I guess :shrug:




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34968
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 12:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The smell of formaldehyde turns him on.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43356
PostPosted: 06-18-2020 10:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Quote:
One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.


Sure, yeah, logical. Totally agree. So what does this mean in practice?

Quote:
Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in.


Say what now?

Quote:
We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples


You have GOT to be kidding me! :rolleyes:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/featur ... ty-and-dnd




Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group