Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-17-2009 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kind of agree that very few films ever get 10/10. That score means it's absolutely perfect without flaws.

A film that gets 9 out of 10 should be one that is absolutely superb in every way. But perfect? No.

A film I can think of that would get 10 from me would be something like Raiders of the lost Ark, because quite simply, I cannot think of any way that it could possibly be improved. It IS a perfect film. Also, maybe Aliens. Perfectly made.

Not many others though.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-17-2009 04:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol kids...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-17-2009 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I kind of agree that very few films ever get 10/10. That score means it's absolutely perfect without flaws.

A film that gets 9 out of 10 should be one that is absolutely superb in every way. But perfect? No.

A film I can think of that would get 10 from me would be something like Raiders of the lost Ark, because quite simply, I cannot think of any way that it could possibly be improved. It IS a perfect film. Also, maybe Aliens. Perfectly made.

Not many others though.

I'll have to go ahead and agree with you on that, even though you're not fat.

But...when you mentioned Aliens as being perfect (as in it couldn't be improved upon) there is the debate of which versions of Aliens was better: the original release or the Director's cut?

While I happen to believe the release cut was the proper cut, I can't help but notice that the remote gun turret scenes should have been in the original cut.

Perfect? Almost....but I'd still give Aliens a 10/10 anyday.

I'd also like to point out that I've rated "Shoot Em Up" at 10/10 in this thread because - the evening I watched it - everything about the film fit my giddy mood and in retrospect couldn't have been improved upon. The action, choreography, cinematography, editing, music and dialogue were perfect to the film.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 02-17-2009 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there's a directors cut and original cut? i havent seen alien yet, which should i watch?

i havent seen a lot of movies :tear:

edit: i guess you said release cut

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-17-2009 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
there's a directors cut and original cut? i havent seen alien yet, which should i watch?

Aliens has two cuts....the theatrical release cut and a "special edition" that adds another 17 mins back into the film. My advice, watch the original version first then the 2nd. I actually like the theatrical cut better....except for one sequence at the beginning of the special edition where an unsuspecting homesteader stumbles upon some facehuggers.

Alien has two cuts which only fuck about 4-5 minutes of footage (some added, some removed for each). The Alien Quadrilogy has both cuts of both films. Fuck knows when all this will appear on blu ray.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-17-2009 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

National Treasure 2

I'll give it two turd-covered cocks out of 10, if only for the mild entertainment provided by Nicholas Cage's "I'm so smooth" personality which he uses in about 100% of his movies :olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked the Director's Cut better, mostly because of the early scene where the facehugger gets into view. this just ties it a bit more to the first movie.
that said, I do think the climax of the movie drags a bit.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was a face hugger in National Tressure 2?!!

As for Aliens, I'm all for the extended version... Gotta love Captain Hollister there :D

Oh btw:

Tropic Thunder:

Wasn't as bad as you all made out. Awesome trailers... Funny start... Dull middle. Funny end. Thats about it. Not gonna set the world on fire but it made me laugh more than once which is more than most films these days. Tom Cruise made me cringe, which is spot on for what he was trying to do. When he put that music on... Well... What moves... :|

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 02:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

coraline - 8/10

loved it--i'm a sucker for these kind of storylines. it was like an updated alice in wonderland. the ending felt rushed though. for a first effort from laika i have to say i'm VERY impressed and can't wait to see what their next 3 projects turn out to be.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Pauly wrote:

Not many others though.

I'll have to go ahead and agree with you on that, even though you're not fat.

But...when you mentioned Aliens as being perfect (as in it couldn't be improved upon) there is the debate of which versions of Aliens was better: the original release or the Director's cut?

While I happen to believe the release cut was the proper cut, I can't help but notice that the remote gun turret scenes should have been in the original cut.

Perfect? Almost....but I'd still give Aliens a 10/10 anyday.

I'd also like to point out that I've rated "Shoot Em Up" at 10/10 in this thread because - the evening I watched it - everything about the film fit my giddy mood and in retrospect couldn't have been improved upon. The action, choreography, cinematography, editing, music and dialogue were perfect to the film.

I'd say that Alien is closer to a 10/10 than Aliens, but that's IMO. Apocalypse Now also sits very close to the 10/10 line.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
that said, I do think the climax of the movie drags a bit.

I just climaxed all over one of your pics (no homo).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Tropic Thunder: Wasn't as bad as you all made out.

Who would that be? As far as I can tell, everyone thought it was hilarious.

W. 4/10

Halfway though, I was wondering if the movie would ever be over. It was surprisingly boring and stale for a movie about the worst President, in part because I think it tried so hard to remain objective and neutral that it stripped out any of the politics and controversy out of his disastrous career. It became more of a movie about little Georgie Jr. trying to gain acceptance from his father.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's pretty much what i expected from W. Thanks, now i can skip that movie :up:

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tropic Thunder didn't make me laugh out loud (LOL) once, it could have been funny but it wasn't.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep. I'm hoping it will be better the second time around.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you guys like Zoolander and Dodgeball and his other stuff at all? It's mostly the same kind of whacky humour, i've noticed it's a bit of a love it or hate it type thing. Same thing with Adam Sandler: i can't stand his stuff personally, but some people whose opinion about movies i otherwise respect think the bastard is hilarious.

Oh, and The day the earth stood still 6/10
Unremarkable & predictable yet decent for what it was.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 08:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Tropic Thunder didn't make me laugh out loud (LOL) once, it could have been funny but it wasn't.

You didn't find Tom Cruise's character funny at all?

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Burn after reading -- 7/10

haven't seen a good dark comedy in a while; movie is damn funny. and a big blue :olo: for Clooney's metal shop project.

--

The Duchess -- 6/10
pretty average puffy skirt movie

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

End Game = 6/10 - Everything about this movie seems contrived and forced....from the boring story to the acting to the action to the cinematography to the editing...and punctuated horribly by a shit soundtrack.

In short, it's a shit action/thriller movie no0b-directed by a stuntman who thinks he's John Woo. Skip it.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 10:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

River's Edge -- 4/10
eh, i still don't get why people get so into Crispin Glover.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-19-2009 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Max Payne - It was like getting raped in my eyes... Wow what a load of shit. They never stuck to the plotline at all, the characters were all wrong, and the bullet time wasn't even used apart from one scene...

Wow... It was toss.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-19-2009 02:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe because it was a film and not a game?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-19-2009 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
o'dium wrote:
Tropic Thunder: Wasn't as bad as you all made out.

Tropic Thunder was hilarious.

if i believed the critics i would not have bought Love Guru with Mike Meyers.
i haven't laughed out loud like that in a long time.
Love Guru is fucking funny and i think most will Not agree .. probably because it's about hockey, Canadian culture and fart jokes.

Mike Meyers is a comic genius and even though i see bits of every movie he ever made in this movie it's still some pretty fucking funny shit.

Last edited by axbaby on 02-19-2009 09:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02-19-2009 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gomorra - 9/10

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 02-19-2009 08:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:

The "full retard" arguement had me LOL'ing all over the place.

PostPosted: 02-19-2009 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
feedback wrote:

You didn't find Tom Cruise's character funny at all?

Yeah I loved Dodgeball and Zoolander but I just felt it was all wasted potential in Tropic Thunder. I had high expectations too, that might have done it. Tom Cruise's character was funny, but a cameo can't save the whole movie.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-19-2009 08:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taken 6/10

A thoroughly implausible plot is largely made up for by Liam Neeson kicking all kinds of ass for about an hour straight.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 10:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Changeling: 7/10. This would easily be an 8 if the script was a bit better. There are a few moments of dialogue when you're going to yourself "Self, a better writer could've rawked this". Still, it's a great story directed by a master and the cast does well.

(p.s. Mazda, Jolie does briefly flash some skin here so git ready)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 01:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw it back in December, great movie and a fucked up true story.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

taken - exactly what ryoki said.

catching up on old stuff:
house of 1000 corpses/the devil's rejects - 6/10
for what they are, pretty good. would've rated higher if rob zombie had managed to avoid turning everything into a schmaltzy pop video whenever it got interesting.

primer - 7/10
rented it after remembering it being mentioned in this thread. can't say anything about it plotwise without giving stuff away - it's a nice little story and it's well told on a budget that wouldn't buy a decent secondhand car.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

decided to go on an adventure into the weird with David Lynch and Terry Gilliam

Tideland [ 4/10 ]
Was recommended to me by a friend (whom I'm going to have to have a talking to) and historically I like Gilliam movies; but my god this thing is just a 2 hour time sink. It gets points for being well made and a good idea; but the overall execution was pretty shit. Needed about 20x more fantastical imagination scenes. Maybe the budget let the movie down :shrug:

Wild at Heart [ 7/10 ]
Pretty enjoyable. Much like twin peaks wild at heart actually has a story just focused through the Lynch looking glass vs. the magnum opus of bizarre that is mullholland drive.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 12:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

81st Academy Award winners?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quarantine - 3/10

It had some disturbing scenes but the plot was weak and suffered from the irritating cliche of everyone being convinced that straying from the group to "explore" is somehow a good idea. If this failed concept hadn't been done in a thousand other horror flicks it might be forgivable. Since, however, the directors already ripped off the Spanish flick Rec for the entire storyline (and then infected it with the dumb) they could have at LEAST thought up a more interesting group dynamic than was shown here.

Dead Space: Downfall - 5/10

It was an ok prologue for the game but the animation style failed to capture the atmosphere or scares that the game delivered.

Last edited by Tormentius on 02-21-2009 05:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
81st Academy Award winners?

why are you choking the movie thread with that giant image of nonsense?
should have just made a new thread.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol if its for realz though

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.