Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-11-2009 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am being sarcastic, therac.

But the kid is sort of Kracus-like in his ideas and unwillingness to read up on anything before coming up with his theories and won't listen to any 'science' that might render them impossible.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 03-11-2009 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
I am being sarcastic, therac.

So noted. I suppose.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 03-11-2009 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
Chupacabra wrote:
what was wrong with american gangster?

underwhelming. average. And if one didn't much care for Kingdom of Heaven, that makes 3 average movies in a row for the 'Admiral of the Fleet'. His brother Tony seems to be getting better...but Ridley is treading water or whatever. His best days seem to be behind him I'm afraid.

i see.

i thought american gangster was great.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-11-2009 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i found it to be pretty average as well.
gave it a 6/10 many pages ago.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-11-2009 06:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jackal wrote:
Silicone_Milk wrote:
Watchmen - 8/10

Knowing nothing about the original storyline or what to expect when seeing this movie, I was quite pleased.

The whole "this takes place in the '80s" thing kept messing with me though every time I saw stuff like floppy discs being used as a regular storage medium.

I think my favorite scenes all revolved around Rorschach. Definitely my favorite character. The whole french fry scene was great :)

The Owl was a lame dork though. I could have done without him.

Considering he's an integral part of the story I doubt you could've done without him.

Have you watched the movie? He doesn't provide anything to the story at all. He just sits on the sidelines going "we can talk about this guys! Violence doesn't solve anything. *sigh* Nobody does things my way"

Maybe the comic is a different story but, yes, I could definitely do without the Owl and I probably would have enjoyed the movie a bit more were he not even around.

God
God
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You missed the point and, apparently, can't read on two counts.

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watchmen - 9/10

I think Watchmen is somehow both more and less than The Dark Knight (which is where the inevitable comparisons will be drawn). It's certainly more meaningful and resonant, but lacks the starpower (not only among actors but the director, composers, etc., as well) and the virtuosic Joker performance -- although Rorschach came as close as anybody was going to. What Watchmen drove home to me was that TDK really wasn't as good as I thought it was; after the opening bank heist, it doesn't have a single decent action scene, and we never give much of a shit about any of the characters (beyond Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, neither of whom is ever in danger). Watchmen actually got me invested in the people on the screen, and had an amazingly filled-out sense of backstory.

It seemed like it was getting a little hokey around the point where Ozy is revealed to be the villain, but I thought they ultimately made that work without being too much of a cliche, and the ending was suitably pessimistic in terms of moral honesty/integrity. The final exchange between Manhattan and Rorschach was suitably brutal to watch as a result. I haven't read the comic but I know pretty much all the plot points, and I thought the Manhattan MacGuffin was a suitable workaround/replacement for the bio-engineered psychic squid -- that definitely would have been stretching credibility (read: really stupid) on film.

Can someone explain to me, though, if Manhattan is the only one with real powers, why does Ozymandius seem to be able to "bend the rules" when he fights, in the manner of Morpheus and Trinity (I'm not going to say Neo because that invites the question of where he would fall in a hierarchy in relation to Dr. M.)?

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sliver wrote:
Can someone explain to me, though, if Manhattan is the only one with real powers, why does Ozymandius seem to be able to "bend the rules" when he fights, in the manner of Morpheus and Trinity (I'm not going to say Neo because that invites the question of where he would fall in a hierarchy in relation to Dr. M.)?

They all can. Think over the fight scenes (like the prison riot). They all look like the Matrix. Don't forget, these people are supposed to be comic-book super heroes. They're in the same class as Batman -- not strictly super human, but superior in almost every way to non-super heroes. And Ozy is the fastest and smartest one of them.

The squid would have worked fine, had they had the time to do it properly. The problem that plagued that movie was there wasn't enough time to explain everything that was going on. The Dr. Manhattan ending was just faster and easier to explain. I didn't like it as much, because he is a known quantity -- the beauty of the squid was that it was completely and utterly alien.

Last edited by Therac-25 on 03-12-2009 07:52 AM, edited 1 time in total.

God
God
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Snyder used creative license in the movie with regards to the fights. In the book the only person aside from Manhatten who even comes close to having powers is Veidt since he's described as being at absolute peak human physical condition.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

watchmen 7/10
really enjoyed it. they did a pretty good job of reworking the story and visually it was spot on - knocked a few off because i don't see why they had to make ozymandias such a fop, pretty sure he was musclebound in the comic book. and it could've done with being a bit shorter.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 03-16-2009 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - 6/10

Despite the failed attempts at humor, it still had some charm. A bit too much story sqeezed into too little exposition perhaps, but as simple entertainment it did it's job.

Tropic Thunder - 6/10

Started a bit slow, but turned out rather good in the end. Tom Cruise plays his role excellently, and adds a whole point to the total score all by himself.

God
God
PostPosted: 03-16-2009 12:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Baghead - 8/10
Son of Rambow - 7/10
Twilight - 2/10 Possibly one of the most pretentious and terrible movies I've ever seen. Everything about this was clichéd and hackneyed. It was also ridiculously boring. I don't understand why this thing is so popular.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 03-16-2009 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's only popular with teenage girls. Like my cock.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-25-2009 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's the truth. The star of the Twilight appeared in person at my local mall, and there was a riot. Teenage girls waited all night to line up, and then they lost their minds when dude finally showed up. What hormones can do for you.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgetting Sarah Marshall = 6/10 - Generic but has some original funny moments.

Strangers With Candy = 4/10 - Pfft.

Bitten = 7/10 - I had no idea what it was and thought it was shit until the black comedy started.

PostPosted: 03-27-2009 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Basic Instinct 2 - 3/10

adasffdadf stupid

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quantum of Solace: somewhere between a 6 and a 7. The action set pieces continue to push the envelope, and Craig is the best bond (maybe ever) since Connery. But bits of it felt unfocused...thankfully it never really drags.

Speed Racer: suckmydick/10. Nice CGI but awful on all other fronts.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 08:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watchmen

i thought it was really good, albeit quite long.

Knight of the Sad Countenance
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Knowing: 4/10

best part was seeing a Moose completely engulfed in flames run screaming from a forest fire.

The "surprise ending" was retarded.

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dead snow 5/10
too glib for it's own good.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jackal wrote:
Baghead - 8/10
Son of Rambow - 7/10
Twilight - 2/10 Possibly one of the most pretentious and terrible movies I've ever seen. Everything about this was clichéd and hackneyed. It was also ridiculously boring. I don't understand why this thing is so popular.

completely agree

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-31-2009 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7zark7 wrote:
Knowing: 4/10

best part was seeing a Moose completely engulfed in flames run screaming from a forest fire.

The "surprise ending" was retarded.

Yes saw it today

Look I didn't mind it at all and found my interest there until the end. Simply marvelous special effects :up:

No real surprises but I would think, not a must see but entertaining enough for an 8/10

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-02-2009 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
It's only popular with teenage girls. Like my cock.

:olo: :up:

PostPosted: 04-10-2009 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Men Behind the sun: 8/10

Documents the Japanese use of of the Chinese for horrific medical experiments during WW2...

Its pretty fucked up... :up: :up:

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

Saw Lakeview Terrace last night.
Very meh.
Samuel Jackson is usually able to make any movie worthwhile, but even he couldn't save this thing.
This stuff has all been done before, and a lot better.

Gah, I couldn't even finish watching that trash. I really enjoy Samuel L. Jackson's performances and he wasn't bad in what I was able to watch of this film, it just never went anywhere. I kept pausing it and going back and it just wouldn't get started.

Monsters Vs. Aliens 3D - 9/10 Wow, just wow. This movie was one of the coolest films I've seen in years. I was blown away by everything from the 3D glasses themselves to the hilarity of Seth Rogen as B.O.B. Great technology, great artwork, great voice performances, just an all-around excellent film.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 07:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shawshank Redemption 10/10

Great movie in every way.

Flags of our Fathers 7/10

Pretty good, nothing amazing though.

You Don't Mess With the Zohan 5/10

Had some funny parts, but overall wasn't that great.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Big Lebowski - 9/10 - been on my 'must watch that at some point' list forever

"ve are nihilists! ve beleef in nussink!"

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The ferret bathtub attack never gets old. :olo:

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7zark7 wrote:

Documents the Japanese use of of the Chinese for horrific medical experiments during WW2...

hm...think ill check this out

God
God
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 05:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Monsters Vs. Aliens - 9/10
Amazing movie. I was profoundly impressed.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who cares.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
7zark7 wrote:

hm...think ill check this out

this movie has no special effects... aside from one or two obvious cheap effects, everything else was filmed by actually doing what was shown on the screen.

you can't tell me they could duplicate the internal human organs that well. One can only guess they actually filmed cadavers .

Kind of freaky what that movie got away with for its time

PostPosted: 04-12-2009 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Director claims it was a real cadaver of a little kid that they literally tear apart for organ harvesting scene.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and the cat being eaten alive by rats....the burning live rats running around frantically ... just for these things the movie is worth a watch =]

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Monsters vs Aliens 9/10
Yes Man 7/10
Vantage Point 4/10
The Watchmen 9/10
Tales of Despereaux 7/10
Lakeview Terrace 3/10
Gran Torino 8/10
Taken 9/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.