Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes Man - 7/10

I was expecting much worse based on the tepid reviews, but it was actually a relatively satisfying comedy with a surprisingly sincere love story built in. The only drawback was the requisite cliche whereby "she finds out the truth so she leaves him [temporarily]" -- they should have just written it as a romance which develops without hindrances, Carrey could maintain momentum, and it's not like there's actually any suspense in this utterly hackneyed plot device any more.

The Day The Earth Stood Still (new one): 3/10

God, I knew it was going to be crap, but I was at least hoping for a good performance somewhere in the crowd or some cool CGI. Independence Day stands as the alien attack benchmark.

Knight of the Sad Countenance
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
and the cat being eaten alive by rats....the burning live rats running around frantically ... just for these things the movie is worth a watch =]

Or how bout the scene where the guy's locked in that pressure chamber and all hits guts explode out his ass in a puddle of wet shit. :up: :up: :puke:

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

forgot about that :owned:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 02:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds horrid

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 02:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taken.

Surprisingly good. 8 - 10

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched the first half of Marley & Me. Which is plenty, because there's only so much movie you can make out of 'haha they're chasing the dog, he won't behave, that's so random XD now he is chewing the furniture'.

Earlier watched Ghost Town which was good. More than just a vehicle for Ricky Gervais.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Just watched the first half of Marley & Me. Which is plenty, because there's only so much movie you can make out of 'haha they're chasing the dog, he won't behave, that's so random XD now he is chewing the furniture'.

Earlier watched Ghost Town which was good. More than just a vehicle for Ricky Gervais.

I thought Ghost Town stank.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

I agree: Marley & Me was awful. I did a bit better than you did though, and made it to about 5/6 of the movie.

The dog was annoying and pointless. I never cared about it. Owen Wilson (who I generally find really funny) didn't play his traditional funny role. Overall the movie was just boring and pointless.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that movie should have been put down

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 04:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
I thought Ghost Town stank.

There wasn't much to the thing. By-the-book and nothing new at all. Most of the interest came from watching Ricky Gervais act to a script. That probably doesn't interest non-uk peeps so much.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried to sit though Quantum of Solace.
Maddox was right in his review. http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... of_phallus
I stopped watching after 40 minutes. What I saw was abysmal IMHO. Granted the movie is a Bond one and not necessarily a stirring plot-driven drama, but what I watched was more than enough for me.
There was lots of fancy chases and whatnot if that is all a movie needs. I like action, but this movie seemed entirely about that above anything else.

Maybe it gets better, but it didn't get me hooked by the plot enough to find out.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 06:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Twilight 4/10

LOL

A little better than what I expected it to be, which was abysmal. A LOT of the acting is corny, and most of plot elements are cliched and predictable. The only thing that saves it is the 2nd half of the movie when the vampire's stop acting like they're in a cologn commercial.

PostPosted: 04-13-2009 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Salo 7/10

:rtcw: During WW2, Rich Italian Fascist's kidnap 9 woman and 9 men. Over 120 days.. they rape, torture, humiliate them (make them eat shit)...then brutally kill them, tying them to the ground, cutting off their tongues and gouging out eye's, scalping them, while some cock eyed queer watches through binoculars masturbating.

It was kinda sick... :tard: :up:

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not coming over to your place anymore...

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 04-14-2009 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Tried to sit though Quantum of Solace.
Maddox was right in his review. http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... of_phallus
I stopped watching after 40 minutes. What I saw was abysmal IMHO. Granted the movie is a Bond one and not necessarily a stirring plot-driven drama, but what I watched was more than enough for me.
There was lots of fancy chases and whatnot if that is all a movie needs. I like action, but this movie seemed entirely about that above anything else.

Maybe it gets better, but it didn't get me hooked by the plot enough to find out.

oh shit that was a funny review, he writes the best stuff. I got to get his book...

PostPosted: 04-14-2009 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Taken.

Surprisingly good. 8 - 10

I thougth taken was good too

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 04-14-2009 08:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7zark7 wrote:
Salo 7/10

:rtcw: During WW2, Rich Italian Fascist's kidnap 9 woman and 9 men. Over 120 days.. they rape, torture, humiliate them (make them eat shit)...then brutally kill them, tying them to the ground, cutting off their tongues and gouging out eye's, scalping them, while some cock eyed queer watches through binoculars masturbating.

It was kinda sick... :tard: :up:

Dude, I could not make it through this flick. Honestly, what the fuck is the plot to this movie? It was ten times worse than Irreversible in terms of "hard-to-watchness", which featured a French gay dungeon and a brutal rape scene.

PostPosted: 04-14-2009 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yah... I mostly had a tough time with the shit eating scenes.. Like the shit eating banquet, with that fucking cocked eye rape-queer smiling with chunks of shit in his teeth. Fucking sick.

Irreversible is next on my list to watch. :up: :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-17-2009 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-18-2009 01:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Big Labowski - 9/10 - Ace

Resident Evil Extinction - 2/10 - got a 2 as Mila is smoking hot

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-19-2009 04:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The International - Pulp.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-19-2009 04:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Art School Confidential last night because I was told that if I liked Ghost World then it would be right up my street.

It wasn't up my street, it was shit.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-19-2009 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not technically a movie, but since i watched the whole thing in one go: Dead Set 7/10

Excellent zombie stuff.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 04-19-2009 07:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist 5/10

Meh. Nothing great here, just Michael Cera acting shy and withdrawn. Rent it if you're interested, but its definitely not a buy.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-19-2009 10:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/04/17/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-finally-announced-for-blu-ary/

shit yea

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-26-2009 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Southland Tales - Really, really enjoyed it.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 04-26-2009 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

crank 2 - high voltage 9/10

90 minutes of awesome.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2009 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Twilight - 6/10 - not what I was execting and the sound track is quality

Transporter 3 - 6/10 - indless action flick with some good fights. Not as good as the first

My name is Bruce - 5/10 - disappointing to be honest, but it had some fun elements to it

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jack Brooks, Monster Slayer - 7.5/10

Pretty decent, like a Bruce Campbell movie by way of Peter Jackson's Dead-Alive ("Braindead" in Australia), but there simply aren't enough monsters. If there had been more of a fight when he went for revenge against the thing that killed his parents, I could have forgiven the lame freeze-frame ending (which I predicted five minutes before it happened).

My Name is Bruce - 6/10

I was expecting more, but it was entertaining enough.

17 Again - 6.5/10

Not an amazing comedy or a thought-provoking "what-if" drama by any stretch of the imagination, but it's really not the tepid, insipid, vapid, fetid, crass cliche you might think based on the trailers. Mediocre writing, good acting, amazing supporting cast (Jan from The Office and Lt. Dangle from Reno 911), and some neat if admittedly minor directorial/cinematographic sensibilities. Genuinely more entertaining than My Name is Bruce. What can I say.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 12:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek (2009)
9.awesome/10

i had a chance to see a closed screening last night so i thought, what the hell, and went. i was crazy skeptical going into this one but was happily suprised. all the things that made star trek good to begin with are still there, just updated in a fantastic way. the casting was some of the best i've seen and i can't wait for the next one now.

the only reason i didn't give it a 10/10 was because of the every-now-and-then use of zoomed shakey cam. i hate that shit.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ive never seen any star trek...would the movie make sense to me?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
Star Trek (2009)
9.awesome/10

i had a chance to see a closed screening last night so i thought, what the hell, and went. i was crazy skeptical going into this one but was happily suprised. all the things that made star trek good to begin with are still there, just updated in a fantastic way. the casting was some of the best i've seen and i can't wait for the next one now.

the only reason i didn't give it a 10/10 was because of the every-now-and-then use of zoomed shakey cam. i hate that shit.

Nice Grandpa Stu. I am really looking forward to opening night here - pre-buying my tickets tomorrow, starts here Thursday :D :up:

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 02:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
ive never seen any star trek...would the movie make sense to me?

yeah. the whole point of this movie is to "reboot" the star trek franchise so you can sorta think of it as starting from square one. the only things you might miss are the nod and winks to the original star trek.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Adventureland - 8/10
I really liked this. Maybe just because it discusses how pitiful life as a liberal arts major is. Maybe because it contained the following exchange:
"Don't get drunk and fall asleep or anything."
"Why not?"
"Because I'll jack of on your face."

Wolverine - 5/10
Umm, yea. I wanted to like this, I really did. The Weapon X part of the plot was decent... and then there was a long string of pointless cameos of other future x-men. They did nothing to advance the plot at all other than to set up yet another stupid cameo at the end. It's Wolverine and Hugh Jackman, ffs. Do they not understand that the character has enough of an audience to sell the film without squeezing in Gambit and baby-Cyclops for 4 minutes on screen each? I'm not sorry I saw it, but I wouldn't go again.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 05-01-2009 09:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wolverine 5/10

Decent action flick, but would have liked to see the characters portrayed more like they were in the comics. Specifically, Gambit.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.