Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
feedback wrote:
Tyson
8/10

He comes across as a very honest person who admits he made bad decisions and was taken advantage of. He comes across as very sympathetic, the documentary changed my opinion of him.

Do you feel his responses were legitimate? Most of the material I've seen of him suggests he has the intellectual capacity of George W. at about 10 years old.

Yeah I think they're legitimate. He's always had quite a vocabulary, but the things you see, clips of him on youtube, etc, are out of context so you don't get it. But you've already watched the documentary, so it's moot anyway. I wonder what things would have been like if he hadn't been (likely falsely) convicted of the rape charge.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ajerara wrote:
Star trek.....6/10, I guess it was a sgood as it could be without the actors that had a large part in creating the franchise. It had a lot of puzzling continuity problems. It was definitely not as cerebral as the previous series and movies. It had a lot of action and good special effects. The actors were adequate. It had the usual corny parts. I'll be curious to see what other people thought of it. parts of it were very satisfying and other parts were not.

10/10

PostPosted: 05-08-2009 02:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wolverine
10/10 for Daniel Henney

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was at the drive-in last night. Star Trek in front of me using the car stereo. Wolverine was on the screen behind me with the sound on a portable. I really tried tuh watch both, but Star Trek was soooooo phuqin great, I missed huge parts of Wolverine. Two of the four people I was with liked Wolverine better... cause they missed huge parts of El Trek. Gotta go back this weekend. :D

God
God
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 02:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
lol

Well I didn't stick around that long. Do you guys normal stick around until after the credits? Or did you just hear that this movie has something, so you stayed?

I read about it online and still didn't stay. Fuck that, that movie had already taken away enough time from my life.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 05-09-2009 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Nanking

good documentary about the Japanese's brutal occupation of Nan Jing. Minus points for the Chinese communist government shoving the movie down people's throats trying to make them hate Japan instead of the retarded Chinese government.

have you seen this one? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8039832.stm

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-09-2009 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peenyuh wrote:
ajerara wrote:
Star trek.....6/10, I guess it was a sgood as it could be without the actors that had a large part in creating the franchise. It had a lot of puzzling continuity problems. It was definitely not as cerebral as the previous series and movies. It had a lot of action and good special effects. The actors were adequate. It had the usual corny parts. I'll be curious to see what other people thought of it. parts of it were very satisfying and other parts were not.

10/10

Peenyuh :up:

I just got back from seeing this simply brilliant movie. Ten points to all involved.

A must see IMHO.

Probably the best movie I have seen in some time, in fact I will definitely go at least twice again, but I put my hand up as a Trekkie :D

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 05-09-2009 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heat 8/10

PostPosted: 05-10-2009 01:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
feedback wrote:
Nanking

good documentary about the Japanese's brutal occupation of Nan Jing. Minus points for the Chinese communist government shoving the movie down people's throats trying to make them hate Japan instead of the retarded Chinese government.

have you seen this one? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8039832.stm

No I haven't seen it, just to spite the chinks.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek - 9/10

Holy shit what an awesome film this was. The music, the pacing, the action, it was all just spot on. The one thing I had to knock it down for was I was really looking forward to seeing what Simon Pegg did with Scotty but... He just played Simon Pegg. Even his Scooootush accent came and went :( But everything else was really well done. Great film, can't wait for the bluray. This is one you defo need to watch at the cinema, because the action is so frantic you will never see everything going on else.

Anybody who says this film was shite is a complete idiot.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

star trek - 8/10. would have been 9 except for a few scenes that felt like they were lifted straight from phantom menace (barf).

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
star trek - 8/10. would have been 9 except for a few scenes that felt like they were lifted straight from phantom menace (barf).

Which scenes? Do tell. I didn't notice and saw phantom menace a while ago now, so may have forgotten the link :?:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gran Torino: 2/10

Weak story. Poor acting on all fronts. I looked forward to this and felt that Clint should stick to producing and stop acting. He can't project the way he used to.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
menkent wrote:

Which scenes? Do tell. I didn't notice and saw phantom menace a while ago now, so may have forgotten the link :?:

I can't remember exact scenes, but I do recall thinking something like that at one point. Still... FANTASTIC movie. Though I'm a huge fan, I have never thought any of the movies were that great. I've always relied on the "idea" of Trek. This Late Bloomer is finally coming into something awesome. Already can't wait fer the next. Only bad part? Phuqin Kirk has no respect fer classic cars. :olo:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
menkent wrote:
phantom menace (barf).

kirk gets chased by monster, bigger monster eats monster, etc. that and the general tendency to try too hard to tie it in with the original movies/series via nimoy-spock and establish a new timeline (see above discussion of retconning in wolverine). i'm not a trekkie and have no loyalty to the minutiae of the old films and thus don't need old spock nodding his approval over the characters' new backstories after each scene. really minor criticism though. i really liked it - best action film i've seen since dark knight.
hey, at least there weren't any humpback whales. =\

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 06:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek 6/10

Felt more like Star Wars than Star Trek. That said, it was entertaining but I found myself bored at times. Summary of the movie: "PEW PEW PEW!, *nonsensical time travel crap* SPOCK! PEW PEW PEW Kirk? SPOCK PEW PEW PEW!"

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-10-2009 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

star trek 8/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
kirk gets chased by monster, bigger monster eats monster, etc.....

Yes I remember and see the connection now :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 01:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
hey, at least there weren't any humpback whales. =\

high note of that movie, Spock discovers cursing.
"Just one damn minute, captain" :olo:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 01:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(spoilery warning)

Can someone explain some stuff I didn't get in Star Trek:

The drill thing. He uses his small craft to take it out... why didn't the vulcans raise a finger against it if that's all it would have taken?

Chekov can beam 2 guys in freefall but can't beam someone when they fall off a ledge?

Also if they've come back from the future with this red matter stuff, why not just go back to the star which is about to go supernova, and use the red matter to avert disaster?

The film had that usual jj abrams polish and 'big' feel to it, but the plot wasn't really thought through that well so it ended up being all pretty effects and not much to chew on.

Meh. I like it about as much as i am robot or minority report.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 02:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can offer my slant on answers Foo, others welcome :D

Spoilers (maybe)

The drill thing. He uses his small craft to take it out... why didn't the vulcans raise a finger against it if that's all it would have taken?

I imagine they would have when the craft first appeared, but all their forces were taken out in a few minutes, doesn't explain the request to Star Fleet (mentioned seismic disturbances and not invasion)

Chekov can beam 2 guys in freefall but can't beam someone when they fall off a ledge?

Well, the singularity was forming in close proximity making the teleporter lock on difficult.

Also if they've come back from the future with this red matter stuff, why not just go back to the star which is about to go supernova, and use the red matter to avert disaster?

Er, (old) Spock came back too early (evident by a much younger Spock) and was captured. The supernova is some years in the future (from the movie date). Yes, Nero should have thought, shit I'll hang around and prevent the same catastrophe happening. I'll grab the red stuff off Spock (which he did)... Even thought he saw his planet destroyed he traveled back and could have saved his own planet instead of going on his vengeful quest.

The film had that usual jj abrams polish and 'big' feel to it, but the plot wasn't really thought through that well so it ended up being all pretty effects and not much to chew on.

I disagree. The timeline was preserved and plot OK IMO..... but do remember it is still science fiction :paranoid:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 05-11-2009 02:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 02:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Taken on Friday and was well impressed. Why can't they make a Punisher film of this quality?

Watched The Fall last night, which was incredibly pretty. Directed by the same guy who directed The Cell, it had his signature visuals all over it.
Quite a touching story too, but overall the film's maybe a little too arty for its own good. Still enjoyed it though.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like Pegg but thought he was pretty shit in Star Trek. Embarassingly so.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed Star Trek, but Simon Pegg's part in the movie was nearly ridiculous. He just happened to turn up and had the solution to every problem they were facing in the entire story, but his character (along with his Jar-Jar-esque sidekick) was nothing but comic relief. Bad comic relief at that.

So is he supposed to be a genius or an idiot? I never watched much of the television series, but I didn't remember Scotty being like that.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

minus the pet ewok, that's pretty much how i remember scotty from the old movies.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

other then the ewok , Uhuru's love life and the stupid Xbox tatooed nosed villain "anyone else notice the blatant advertisment for Xbox" i really loved the movie and i'm glad the franchise is back.

long live Star Trek and many sequels to come.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and long live gratuitous nokia placements!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-11-2009 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taken - 7/10

Mindless fun, though Liam Nesson needed to anger up a little considering what was happening. I did like the light switch bit and I like the fact he showed no mercy at all.

I would also like to rescore Wolverine:

Wolverine 6/10 - I wrote a little bit at a website and I realised I was not as impressed as I first thought

Quote:
DC at another website:
Id say that Wolverine was everything I expected. If you were expecting a Dark Knight style film then you need a word with yourself. Look at the director and look at what he has worked on; nothing is remotely dark and moody. I would expect that if you gave Wolverine to someone like Alfonso Cuarón then you may have gotten the film you wanted.

This is not to say I am not slightly disappointed with the film. I do feel that the entire section around the inserting of the adamantium into Logan could have had a lot more grit in it as it does come across as slightly wishy-washy. Also the creation of X11 (Deadpool) could have been far more gruesome and commanded a lot more screen time than was given. It was kind of like they sat down and thought Oh we created a super mutant – lets see of he can break the unbreakable man that we know is unable to be killed a little pointless really.

Jackman has played the part of Wolverine well once again, although he does lack some of the brooding and moodiness that he generated in the first film. Even so, hats off to him for training like a beast (ha!) and getting it right for the most part. The inclusion of Gambit is the part of the film I have the most issues with. Gambit, being one of my favourite X-men characters was done an absolute dis-service. Why would you bring Gambit into the Wolverine story when he has had no part in any of the X-men films? Gambit was a member of the blue team of X-men headed by Cyclopes…you can see where that has gone, yes?

Never mind – perhaps the writers of the next film can do a little more research or hire some super nerds to ensure that the script is correct and they dont mess anything else up.

All in all though, as a mindless action film it did the job.

DC

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-12-2009 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek 9/10

Awesome.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 05-12-2009 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taken: 7/10 Liam Neeson owns as a tough guy. The beginning dialoguey shit with Famke and his buddies felt retarded and poorly written/directed. Once the ball starts rollin with the kidnapping, it's a fun ride to the finish. I dig revenge flicks as a rule and this one was pretty good.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 05-13-2009 06:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek 9/10

I couldn't have been more surprised or impressed with how the writers and cast were able to breathe new life and hope into the Star Trek series. Great flick and well worth seeing more than once in the theatres. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-13-2009 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek = 8/10 - Good to see anamorphic lenses being utilized so nicely. The action, dialogue, visual effects and cinematography were all top notch but it still had that cheesy "Star Trek" vibe to it in too many scenes. Carl Urban did a good job as Bones. It's quite clear you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy this one.

Knowing = 7/10 - Entertaining movie as far as disaster movies go. One of the better ones of the genre from the past few years (fuck you fans of The Core and The Day After Tomorrow)

The continuous-shot plane crash scene is worth it all by itself.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-13-2009 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
Taken: 7/10 Liam Neeson owns as a tough guy. The beginning dialoguey shit with Famke and his buddies felt retarded and poorly written/directed. Once the ball starts rollin with the kidnapping, it's a fun ride to the finish. I dig revenge flicks as a rule and this one was pretty good.

I agree 100% with this review but I'd score it an 8/10 because it just wouldn't let up and continued it's hold on your testicles all the way through....the intensity and urgency surpassed the Jason Bourne series.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-16-2009 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

star trek - 8/10 - pretty damn good, with lots of in-jokes for anyone who's remotely familiar with the old trek stuff (i.e. "nuclear wessels", etc). fell short of a 9/10 on account of a) the silly time travel/alternate reality thing, b) the 'red matter' (wtflol) and c) when stars go supernova they don't threaten to destroy the entire galaxy (iirc supernovae are observed on average once every 4-5 years and the worst that happens is a cosmic ray shower. however zachary quinto was good, and karl urban etc

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 05-16-2009 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tekkon Kinkreet - 8/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.