Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-09-2009 02:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

28 Weeks Later - 8/10

Ultra low expectations. It was awesome.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 08-09-2009 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
28 Weeks Later - 8/10

saw that a few weeks ago and came to pretty much the same conclusion.
had zero expectation and ended up thinking it was pretty fun.
how do you fault a movie where they have a helicopter mincing enraged zombies?

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 08-09-2009 08:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hurt Locker

very nervewracking

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-09-2009 08:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Defiance = 5/10 - Not nearly as interesting as was promised and the plot was almost laughable in parts. I mean...this was supposed to be a "true story" and yet the "true story" hits every predictable plot point exactly on cue, turning this into a sham of a film.

Whatever chances these people's story had of being told was sold out to capitulate to moronic audiences in favour of the Hollywood "formula". A shame really.

Knight of the Sad Countenance
PostPosted: 08-10-2009 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

orphan 7/10

A lot better than the trailers make it out to be.

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

Last edited by 7zark7 on 08-11-2009 12:45 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-10-2009 10:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dr_Watson wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
28 Weeks Later - 8/10

saw that a few weeks ago and came to pretty much the same conclusion.
had zero expectation and ended up thinking it was pretty fun.
how do you fault a movie where they have a helicopter mincing enraged zombies?

w3rd

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-11-2009 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I Love You Man - 8/10

LOL HILARIOUS

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-11-2009 12:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Battle For Saleucami - 0/10

Fucking ridiculous

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 08-11-2009 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

G.I. Joe - 3/10

Feels like a 90s movie -- and I don't blame them for wanting to take it back to basics after level of inappropriateness and stupidity reached by Transformers 1 & 2, but this movie has nothing on Independence Day.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-11-2009 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

G.I. Joe = 0/10 - Dreadful on every conceivable level. So bad it gave me gas. Even the VFX - the only story telling element within 4000 miles of the script - were horribly done.

Anyone that thinks this movie was entertaining in any way, shape or form should be sterilized and kept under house arrest until their death....most likely from self-electrocution or sex with a horse.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-11-2009 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
G.I. Joe = 0/10 - Dreadful on every conceivable level. So bad it gave me gas. Even the VFX - the only story telling element within 4000 miles of the script - were horribly done.

Anyone that thinks this movie was entertaining in any way, shape or form should be sterilized and kept under house arrest until their death....most likely from self-electrocution or sex with a horse.

Looks at Mazda.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-11-2009 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Team America: World Police was an insightful, serious documentary compared to this tripe.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-13-2009 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gran Torino

It's what Eastwood does best;
He sketches a scenario where someone, reluctant to do the right thing, *does* the right thing.
There's laughs to be had, and tears to be jerked.

Enjoyed it: 9/10

God
God
PostPosted: 08-13-2009 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Funny People: 8/10
The part at his old lover's house dragged on for way too long. The rest of it was excellent though.

PostPosted: 08-13-2009 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Fall 9/10

The story of a paraplegic stunt man who tells a fantastical story to a little girl in a hospital as long as she steals morphine for him.
Incredible visuals with no special effects.

(by the same director who did The Cell. )

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 08-13-2009 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Gran Torino

It's what Eastwood does best;
He sketches a scenario where someone, reluctant to do the right thing, *does* the right thing.
There's laughs to be had, and tears to be jerked.

Enjoyed it: 9/10

:olo:

PostPosted: 08-14-2009 07:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

has anyone seen district 9 yet? i want to see it

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, but I'm interested.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 07:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it out?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Today I think.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was released at midnight today (this morning) and has had glowing reviews (which isn't saying much nowadays).

Some trivia on District 9:

- it was directed by the guy who was going to make the Halo movie (anyone remember the cool test footage from that?)
- The Halo movie was canceled, so Peter Jackson gave the director $30 million and said,"Make whatever movie you want" and District 9 is the result.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 09:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess there's a good bit of difference between 'here make this halo movie' and 'here make the movie you want'. As a level designer, I think you probably understand that. Not saying that you said it sucked or anything, just sayin'....

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yer....I hear you. I think this movie could be cool.

District 9 is actually a remake of Alive in Joburg which seems like an interesting story. No doubt more interesting than "Alien Nation".

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 08-15-2009 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

District 9: 8/10

Aliens have been on Earth for 28 years. Not invaders, not even supplicants, they simply appeared here, stranded, and became terrestrial refugees. Mysteriously lacking leadership like isolated drone workers in an ant colony, they submitted to containment in a ghetto outside Johannesburg, South Africa, in the shadow of the mothership which has floated in lifeless silence for nearly three decades.

District 9, South African director Neill Blomkamp’s first major feature, picks up as that ghetto is about to be cleared. District 9 is too close to Johannesburg for human comfort now that the aliens, popularly maligned as “prawns,” have turned to crime and scavenging. So a new, Auschwitz-like camp is set up and christened District 10, and Multi-National United, a private contractor responsible for the aliens – but pointedly uninterested in their welfare – begins serving eviction notices.

The fundamentals are quickly established in the film’s opening, which assumes a documentary-style cinema verité aesthetic, complete with faux interviews. (Much is being made of the pseudo-documentary approach, but Blomkamp is really just picking up where Cloverfield and Rachel’s Getting Married left off.) The parallels to more mundane and familiar episodes of human xenophobia – especially in the setting of apartheid-scorched South Africa – are obvious.

But the film really kicks into gear when MNU agent Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley), heading the alien relocation effort, becomes infected with a virus-like alien compound while in District 9 and finds his body converting to prawn physiology.

The aliens’ powerful weaponry has been inert since their arrival on Earth, unusable to humans because its operation requires alien DNA. But Wikus’s accidental discovery provides him with just that, instantly rendering him the most valuable person on the planet. What follows is a chase movie of sorts, Rambo-fied with enough alien firepower to shock and awe the continent.

Like every other aspect of the film – shooting style, portrayal of aliens, setting, budget – the protagonist is notably unorthodox. Not particularly likeable, and bearing a frequently disconcerting resemblance to Steve Carrell (who would fit in this movie roughly as well as the Village People would seem at home in Full Metal Jacket), Copley makes for an interesting leading man.

Yet as emotionally distancing as this might seem, Copley’s flawed banality keeps the action rooted here on Earth rather than in the fantastical stratospheres of Star Wars or Independence Day, and gives his character more of an arc to complete as he is forced to hide from MNU in the one place that affords a bit of safety and anonymity: District 9.

As engrossing, offbeat, and multi-faceted as a hybrid of Schindler’s List, Starship Troopers, The Fugitive, and Lars von Trier’s emphatically unmediated The Celebration, the Peter Jackson-produced District 9 offers a tortuous – but never torturous – cinematic experience completely unlike anything else this year.

Praise of Blomkamp’s limitless originality is somewhat hyperbolic: the film’s individual elements are well-worn, they are merely combined, Tarantino-style, in a new and unexpected way. The plot is Kafka’s “The Metamorphosis” on alien steroids. The unsurprising denouement is almost predictably open-ended in light of Children of Men. Even the humanization of the aliens is simply a new variation on the filmic affirmative action of African directors such as Ousmane Sembene, who attempted to re-colonize the silver screen after European colonial pictures reduced the black man’s cinematic status to that of Other – the uncivilized brute. (It might be noted here that District 9's narrative agency is nonetheless dispensed almost entirely to white men.)

But we are living in postmodern times and thorough originality is nigh on nonexistent. It is enough that District 9 offers such a refreshing change of pace, something so manifestly outside of the mainstream, even as it flirts with Hollywood convention.

More than that, it is a reminder that despite the torrent of remakes, reboots, and reinventions in Hollywood, there are genuinely creative filmmakers out there plying their craft. For every Meet the Spartans that hits the cineplex, there is a Pan’s Labyrinth or a Brick out there somewhere.

It can certainly be said that Blomkamp and his virtuosic filmmaking have put South Africa on the map, even by the standards of a nearly hermetic North American audience.

Last edited by sliver on 08-15-2009 07:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 08-15-2009 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sliver wrote:
hermeneutic

My guess (and hope) is that you meant to type something other than 'hermeneutic' in that last sentence.

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 08-15-2009 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit, "hermetic," I mix those two up a lot. Can't ever remember wtf hermeneutic means, either; it's something about philosophy or phenomenology.

Good catch.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 08-15-2009 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08-15-2009 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I.D. 6/10

4 British Cops infiltrate a football firm, one gets right into it...becomes top boy. Wasnt a real firm from what I could tell.. called themselves the Dogs. but I think they were trying to be Millwall. It was pretty good... seemed more like a made for TV film..and the main character really seemed to be doing his best Robbie Carlyle nutter impression.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 03:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sliver that's one of the best reviews you ever wrote. It's slightly less pretentious than your usual, and it even managed to hold my attention to about three quarters of the way, at which point i could not stand the wholly unnecessary use of complicated words any longer. That's a good thing though, i usually feel that way after reading the first two paragraphs of your reviews.

Say, do you ever read the reviews of Eileen Jones? She's a lot better than you are, i think you could learn from her.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Sliver that's one of the best reviews you ever wrote. It's slightly less pretentious than your usual, and it even managed to hold my attention to about three quarters of the way, at which point i could not stand the wholly unnecessary use of complicated words any longer. That's a good thing though, i usually feel that way after reading the first two paragraphs of your reviews.

Say, do you ever read the reviews of Eileen Jones? She's a lot better than you are, i think you could learn from her.

:olo:

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sliver wrote:
District 9: 8/10

More than that, it is a reminder that despite the torrent of remakes, reboots, and reinventions in Hollywood, there are genuinely creative filmmakers out there plying their craft. For every Meet the Spartans that hits the cineplex, there is a Pan’s Labyrinth or a Brick out there somewhere.

It can certainly be said that Blomkamp and his virtuosic filmmaking have put South Africa on the map, even by the standards of a nearly hermetic North American audience.

You realize that a reference to Brick as original (or even watchable) is a big, glaring beacon pointing you out as a total penis who should never, ever offer an opinion as to the quality of a movie, don't you?

Come to think of it, you post like someone with a mouthful of marbles trying to cough up a thesaurus....

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Nanking

good documentary about the Japanese's brutal occupation of Nan Jing. Minus points for the Chinese communist government shoving the movie down people's throats trying to make them hate Japan instead of the retarded Chinese government.

i just watched Nanking yesterday. Is this the one you saw? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893356/

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think so

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
You realize that a reference to Brick as original (or even watchable) is a big, glaring beacon pointing you out as a total penis who should never, ever offer an opinion as to the quality of a movie, don't you?

Come to think of it, you post like someone with a mouthful of marbles trying to cough up a thesaurus....

You've been the biggest twat on this forum for going on a decade now, and if you didn't like Brick it's probably because you're too full of yourself. You're the kind of person who shits on Tarantino (no I'm not a fanboy) to the extent where you won't even say a good word about Pulp Fiction, which more than deserves it.

If I used a thesaurus I could scarcely have mixed up hermetic and hermeneutic, since they have nothing to do with one another aside from sharing syllables.

Get fucked.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i liked brick, but he's right. that was high school newspaper material.
"tortuous – but never torturous" :rolleyes:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.