Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, you're making sense.

I don't really know how I achieve the look I do, I just use the tools photoshop has to push the image in a certain direction. Sometimes it'll go in two completely different directions during one process.

A list of things I do with generally every image that features heavy work:

import image into photoshop. (Sometimes import multiples of the same image in order to adust separately and blend.
decide tones/tonal ranges
accentuate or fade tonal ranges, dark edge transfers, specularity
clean up image. Removal of artifacts, debris, flaws, blemishes, signs of aging.
selectively mask out dark and light areas using feathered curves adjustments in order to create an even exposure value across the skin. Then use RGB curve adjustments to address flaws in colour tone created by colour casts and skin impurities.
minor dodging and burning to remove dark/light patches of skin accentuated by the curves adjustments.
begin "carving" of image by painting in highlights and shadows on separate layers.
selectively sharpen key areas

Generally every image I've posted here has had that process applied to it.

There's other steps in there as well, but they are all used on conjunction with those core techniques.

You shouldn't be looking for "how do I do that stuff" tutorials, because you'll just be taking someone else's style, which never works.

It's about experimenting with light in order to achieve a specific mood in your photos which can be accentuated in Photoshop. The work always begins with lighting though.

I'll get an example, one second

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here you go:

This is a test shot for a shoot I did in a gym. I was shooting a fighter for his promotional material, and I was setting up the lights and he hadn't arrived yet. Someone with a decent physique was in the gym training, so I called him over and got him to stand in the spot to make sure I had the lighting right:

I don't particularly like this picture, but it has, in a slightly over the top fashion, all of the details I mention above. Other stuff is a slight thinning of his waist on the left, the increase in roundness of his delt on the right, and a slight anti-clockwise tilt on his head to make it more straight.

The most important thing to note with the image, other than the fact that it[s a bit crap is that the look is already there in the original picture. All I did was accentuate it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A better example:

Note that the lighting is what is creating the mood. All I've done again is accentuate what's already there. I removed his ear and placed the back of his head in shdow. Changed the shape of his head slightly, increased the specular highlights and brought out the detail in his hand-wrap.

You can really only get out of your image what you put in with light.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Sys. I think it finally hit me in reading your posts and looking at your work - I had a novice's epiphany I guess you'd say. I realized what I was missing was that I wasn't creating those specular highlights, etc., in the original shot with my lighting so there was no way I could get the look I wanted regardless.

I think I need to start shooting with brighter lights and a narrower aperture to kill more ambient light and allow me to control the lighting more with my flashes in many cases.

Don't know how this didn't occur to me before.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chicago

I was fucking hammered on this first shot (HDR). Made two noob mistakes: 1) left a UV filter on my lens and 2) tripod wasn't even straight... Fuck me.

Sober shots were ok... here's a few I like:

Full set: http://monroec.com/?p=493

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the shot that's tilted best out of them all. Something about it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Thanks Sys. I think it finally hit me in reading your posts and looking at your work - I had a novice's epiphany I guess you'd say. I realized what I was missing was that I wasn't creating those specular highlights, etc., in the original shot with my lighting so there was no way I could get the look I wanted regardless.

I think I need to start shooting with brighter lights and a narrower aperture to kill more ambient light and allow me to control the lighting more with my flashes in many cases.

Don't know how this didn't occur to me before.

These epiphanies never stop happening, and each time they do, you get smarter and sharper.

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I have a facebook album entitled boomer, into which I upload pictures of gastronomical monstrosities:

:olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just been to my new studio, it's going to be finished completely and ready to move in in just under two weeks.

Here's some pictures:

First shot is the actual shooting space. It has about 14ft of ceiling space, with a huge roller shutter that is essentially just one big removable wall, which means I can step out of the studio for large shots and keep the interior as an entire set-space. Shutters are controlled by a key fob. Whole interior area is going to be painted white, with laminate flooring, and plenty of pictures hung on the walls. Contemplating a ceiling rig for my lights.

Bottom two shots are of the second floor, which is going to function as my make=up room, post-production room and my office. It's going to have a large sofa area, makeup tables with a desk for my computer and a fridge.

Can't tell you how exciting I am by this.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 11:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks nice dude - congrats

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks sweet. I'm going to be starting work on my own studio soon too (for music though, not photos)... very exciting stuff indeed! Are you doing the work or have you hired someone?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice sysop. Was this a place you had built from the ground up or an existing building you are remodeling to suit your needs?

I'd love a studio but its going to take either my winning the lottery or perhaps seeing the wedding component of my business really take off in the next few years to happen.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-19-2011 12:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Existing building that is being remodelled.

It's located on 86 acres of farmland that is being converted into a luxury small business park. I'm the first person in, so the first few months are going to be tough. No toilets or running water, just electricity.

Studio space can be surprisingly cheap, tnf, if you shop around and have patience. Took me over a year to find the right place at the right price, but you certainly don't have to be swimming in money to get something usable. There's probably loads of small spaces in your area.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-20-2011 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just bought an Wacom Intuos 4 large.

It's fucking amazing.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got the attachments to hook up the camera to my cheapo meade telescope, the mount for the scope is real crappy so it takes some afro-engineering to keep it steady, but it works! 700mm focal length on my shoe that was hanging out to dry about 15-20ft away. Can't wait for darkness and moon shots and stuff. Not sure what the aperture on the telescope is.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i can has veyron?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 12:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noice. :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what a shitty law, raping the front grill of a nice car with that ridiculous licence plate.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
what a shitty law, raping the front grill of a nice car with that ridiculous licence plate.

Agreed.. That licence plate looks awful :puke:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

then again, it looks like bugatti didn't actually include a space for the license plate within their design, so they get what's coming to them. clearly they never expected anyone to drive one of these things on an actual public road

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Naw, they just focused on making it look its best for the showroom PLUS they're trading on this one looking as close to its concept version as possible, which means no style-killing recess for the license plate. No question they definitely expected people to be driving the veyron on public roads, though.

I like how the car behind looks like it got left in the playground of the special ed school when it was 'red sharpie' play day.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
i can has veyron?

That car is due for it's next MOT test on march 24, 2013
It was put on name on februari 3, 2010
The owner has payed € 451,000 on BPM (which is a tax the first person that buys a car has to pay)

It's fuel consumption is as follows:
- City: 40.40 l/100km
- B roads: 14.70 l/100km
- Combined: 24.10 l/100km

It generates 571 grams of CO2 per kilometer and has the worst fuel efficiency classification possible for Dutch cars.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Naw, they just focused on making it look its best for the showroom PLUS they're trading on this one looking as close to its concept version as possible, which means no style-killing recess for the license plate. No question they definitely expected people to be driving the veyron on public roads, though.

I like how the car behind looks like it got left in the playground of the special ed school when it was 'red sharpie' play day.

I'd imagine most of their intended or expected recipients would've been from the middle-east, where laws generally only apply to the poor. They probably didn't expect any of their buyers to need a front license plate.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
then again, it looks like bugatti didn't actually include a space for the license plate within their design, so they get what's coming to them.

my thoughts exactly.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
then again, it looks like bugatti didn't actually include a space for the license plate within their design, so they get what's coming to them. clearly they never expected anyone to drive one of these things on an actual public road

well in Louisiana you are only required to have a plate in the back, so I'm sure other places might also be a little more relaxed with their obsession of car Identification at an instant. I mean why stop there? if you think that a vehicle absolutely needs to be indentified from the back and the front, why not slap two more plates on the side, for those moments where you can't see the front OR back. But why stop there? put one on the roof that way the choppers can easily identify the vehicle as well , or you are on an angle because it's a sloped are or perhaps the observer is on the second floor :dork:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and why stop even there? why not make the entire bodywork out of carbon fibre license plates, with license plates for hubcaps and wing mirrors, and make the driver of the vehicle wear a suit with license plates printed all over it; but why stop even even there? - why not add a giant speaker on the roof (made of license plates, naturally) that broadcasts an audio recording of the license plate number read by charlton heston on an infinite loop; but then, why stop even even even there, when you can miss the point of my post by so many miles you're just a faint speck in the ionosphere? why? why? WHY?

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
But why stop there?

Indeed why stop there? Why be so flippant about a car being as identifiable as possible?
No, you're not born to be wild in your fucking vehicle.

Accountability for causing traffic accidents outweighs automotive freedom.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
and why stop even there? why not make the entire bodywork out of carbon fibre license plates, with license plates for hubcaps and wing mirrors, and make the driver of the vehicle wear a suit with license plates printed all over it; but why stop even even there? - why not add a giant speaker on the roof (made of license plates, naturally) that broadcasts an audio recording of the license plate number read by charlton heston on an infinite loop; but then, why stop even even even there, when you can miss the point of my post by so many miles you're just a faint speck in the ionosphere? why? why? WHY?

it wasn't directed at you, I know what your post's purpose was. but you can't really refute my hilarious reasoning.

ps
I see you have some good ideas as well, maybe a letter to the motor vehicle office is in order. if we combine our powers we can make these street safer then ever!

Last edited by Tsakali on 04-26-2011 10:30 AM, edited 4 times in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Tsakali wrote:
But why stop there?

Indeed why stop there? Why be so flippant about a car being as identifiable as possible?
No, you're not born to be wild in your fucking vehicle.

Accountability for causing traffic accidents outweighs automotive freedom.

hmm so you get in a wreck and nobody wants to bother walking towards the back? or maybe it's a hit and run at which point the front plate is of no use cause you're effectively looking at the back of the car at this point. Unless you just got in a wreck with this guy:

and he's making a run for it in reverse.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're not really addressing the issue.
Then again, probably should be in another thread entirely.

Back to posting glamour pics.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fine, but I'm watching you fucker.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wouldn't have it any other way lover <3

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shot of some random room in an old industrial site I explored last year. I think I may have already posted this image, but it was some HDR shit-fest, and I've decided to reprocess all decent pictures properly without HDR.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice, not sure what's going on in the shot technically , but if this was a scale of 10, I would tone it back by 2.
But honestly, I know there is so much riding on individual monitor settings that my point is pretty much pointless.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I tone that back, the rest of the shots in my personal work portfolio need toning back, too. It's my personal style. Your monitor can probably see it fine, it's just personal preference about this stuff, really.

There's nothing technical in the shot, it's basically out of the camera with a colour and contrast adjustment.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.