Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diablo III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Diablo III

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, fuck. Sounds like I'll never see Inferno...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
God damn this game is brutal for barbarians on Inferno. In order to get the needed resist numbers for Act 2, you literally need gear from Act 4. So it's off to the AH. Each worthwhile piece (100ish vitality and 70ish resist) can cost anywhere between 600k and 2 million. It's absurd. Hard game... is hard. bitwise, funnel me some gear please. :(

I'm currently paying out the ass to regear myself after being nerfed :(

I can melt act 1 inferno still, but I haven't had a chance to give the others a serious attempt. Now that I spent a night finding a new build I really like I'll go forward again.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The "nerfs" for monk and wizard technically weren't nerfs were they? In the case of the monk, at least, wasn't it a bug correction, where they were getting literally ten times the benefit of one of their spells? At any rate, I have been farming Inferno Butcher for like 10 hours over the last couple of days and I've actually been fairly lucky with general upgrades that make farming Act I slightly less dreadful (for instance, I got the sub-two minute achievement on Inferno Butcher today directly due to a couple of DPS upgrades), but almost nothing in the way of the kind of vit/resist all that I need to even think about Act 2. It's going to get frustrating soon I think, considering I need such an item for pretty much every slot.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: what a fat-ass :olo:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck embedding on this faggy forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNqxYAWp ... e=youtu.be

This is me killing Inferno Butcher in 61 seconds. I have since been made aware of much faster kills, but those people are using gear funneled to them by their Act 4 friends over the last week before nerfs went out.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:

This is me killing Inferno Butcher in 61 seconds. I have since been made aware of much faster kills, but those people are using gear funneled to them by their Act 4 friends over the last week before nerfs went out.

The music in your vid has convinced me you suck cock pretty much all day.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that definitely screams, "I do gay stuff with my friends in public to show how completely comfortable and cool I am, and because it's the only way I can release the sexual tension I have build up by not getting any sex from actual girls because I listen to gay music and act like a faggot with my friends in public."

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's more or less all true. :olo:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 02:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:

I'm not sure how fast my kill was but I did get the under 2 achievement a while back. Act 1 is pretty easy. 2 starts to be a bitch because of the mob types. 3 and 4 are flat out nuts.

I've decided I'm just going to level some other classes until things settle out.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that's sort of the way I'm leaning. I'm getting tired of spending like 15 hours farming Butcher over and over and hoping that maybe a decent resist item will drop. I realize a big part of the game's design is that you're supposed to replay segments to improve your gear, but I think they set the bar too high as far as balancing the damage you have to put out in Act 2+ with the amount of survivability you need. In other words, if it's by design that you're literally supposed to either farm Act 1 endlessly and/or spend literally millions of gold on the AH in order to progress in Inferno, that's not fun and it's not a challenge. It's just a time/money sink for the purpose of propping up "hard" content. Fuck that.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 06:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Basically it's a wait game for people to sell items you need. Just better have the gold when it comes around...

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much... but don't you think that's dumb? Don't you think every class ought to be self-sufficient enough to get what's required to move on? I know trading/selling is part of the game, but it seems to me that the auction house feature in any gear-based game like this should supplement your gear, not furnish every piece you need. For barbarians, and maybe every class (post-nerfs), the AH is mandatory, and you're buying items from those (previously) overpowered classes that were able to farm gear in Acts 3 and 4 the first week+. I don't know, I'm touching on several subjects at once, but it all just seems very out of whack at the moment.

edit: this post is in response to the post before Memphis'.

Last edited by Mogul on 05-25-2012 06:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Mogul wrote:
In other words, if it's by design that you're literally supposed to either farm Act 1 endlessly and/or spend literally millions of gold on the AH in order to progress in Inferno, that's not fun and it's not a challenge. It's just a time/money sink for the purpose of propping up "hard" content. Fuck that.

Arst thou new to Blizzard RPGs?

I am new to Diablo, but I've been playing WoW for years. In fact, my guild V A N Q U I S H earned top-5 US kills for every boss in Sunwell, still widely regarded as one of the hardest, if not the hardest, raid zones in the game's history. I know what it is to farm a raid after you've completed the content and get gear. But in that game some things about gearing up are very different:

--The best items in the game are bind-on-pickup: you can't sell them, so trading items in WoW serves as a supplement, where you can get a couple of pretty decent pieces per tier of content, but the best stuff you earn yourself. Which brings me to the next difference.

--Boss loot tables are actually set. Maybe the item you want doesn't drop, but it will. And if you know what drops from a boss, you can count on it eventually dropping. In Diablo, a legendary item might drop (like a one in 100000 chance or something) and because Diablo's items have randomized stats, it might be an absolutely horrible item.

I guess what I'm saying in this post is that gearing up in WoW means you have to perform well in a raid, not necessarily farm it ad nauseum. The tedium involved in being able to survive Act 2 is not fun and doesn't rely on player performance. In fact, many of the current barbarians in Act 3+ got gear funneled to them by their formerly OP friends of other classes. And in this game, if you can just be given all that gear for free, you can progress through the content extremely quickly and easily. In a game where prestige matters, like WoW or Diablo, shouldn't skill be more important than that?

I hope this doesn't read too much like, "I want Diablo to be WoW." I appreciate the ways they differ more than most, probably. In fact, I have found a passion in this game that I wasn't expecting to find (read my heavy skepticism toward the game from a few weeks ago on this forum). But I think my criticisms of the game's systems stand on their own apart from asking the game to be like WoW.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 08:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Pretty much... but don't you think that's dumb? Don't you think every class ought to be self-sufficient enough to get what's required to move on? I know trading/selling is part of the game, but it seems to me that the auction house feature in any gear-based game like this should supplement your gear, not furnish every piece you need. For barbarians, and maybe every class (post-nerfs), the AH is mandatory, and you're buying items from those (previously) overpowered classes that were able to farm gear in Acts 3 and 4 the first week+. I don't know, I'm touching on several subjects at once, but it all just seems very out of whack at the moment.

edit: this post is in response to the post before Memphis'.

Yes, I do think it's dumb. I shouldn't have to rely on other people (Auction House) in order to be able to play the game until the very end.

I suppose I could spend 5000 hours farming, then maybe I'll have the resist items I need to take on Inferno...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a really lucky streak last night and ended up changing my mind. Ditched my attack speed gear since it only burns mana faster for wizards, got a big fat 1127 2h weapon with 191 vit, and found some really good all resist items to stack.

Got myself up to roughly 400 all resist and 41k hp which is enough to appear to make act 2 manageable (can solo beliel).

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just posted a guide on reddit for playing inferno as a wizard

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments ... o_wizards/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 02:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can someone explain sockets to me? I found a rare socketable helm and need to figure out what and how to put in it. I've got a chipped gem, but if I can use something better, then I'll wait to use it. What are the basics on this?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much click a gem in your bag, then click on the item with the socket. The only way to remove a gem is to go to the jewelcrafter and use the interface there to remove it, for a fee. Gems add a stat bonus to the gear you're wearing. The numbers on the gem just stack on top of what you're already wearing, simple as that.

You will notice though that each color of gem (there are only four: topaz, emerald, amethyst, and ruby) does something different depending on which piece of gear the socketed item occupies on your character.

For example, a gem will provide a different bonus depending on if you put it in your chest armor (it's a straight stat increase) or your helm (a percentage-based increase, such as chance to find magic items).

It's all there in the tooltip.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 03:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul, I'm assuming chipped gems don't do as much for an item as a flawless gem (such a thing?). Do I have to be a certain level to use a certain gem? I'm only a level 19 Barb. So what gem would work best?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are different tiers of gems, as far as quality goes, but as far as I know, there's no level requirement to use them. It's been since like day 2 since I used the very worst gems, so I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's something like:

chipped -> flawed -> "normal" (just the gem's name, i.e. ruby) -> flawless -> perfect -> radiant -> square -> radiant square... and so on. By the time you get to 60, radiant square is the most common you'll see, but there are several cuts of higher quality beyond that. I assume you don't see them until Act 4 Inferno or something.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They go up to 14 tiers. It's a bit excessive if you ask me.

http://www.diablo3auctionguide.com/diab ... aft-guide/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 06:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess I'll try to buy the best I can on the AH...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-26-2012 06:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll be shocked if they don't release runes and runewords with a patch or expansion to complement gems.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is hilarious [depending on your definition of hilarious].

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 02:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

I haven't played D3 yet, but if gear is anything like in Diablo 2 then buying a gem for a simple sockethelm you found at level 19 is a waste of money. Just socket it with something shit seeing how you'll probably replace it after 2 seconds in the next act anyway.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: Fjaggs :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 05:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
xer0s wrote:

I haven't played D3 yet, but if gear is anything like in Diablo 2 then buying a gem for a simple sockethelm you found at level 19 is a waste of money. Just socket it with something shit seeing how you'll probably replace it after 2 seconds in the next act anyway.

You may be right, but I figured I could sell the helm once I'm done with it and turn a profit. Or use it on my other characters at some point...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
xer0s wrote:

The gem's not wasted. You can pay a merchant to unsocket items. :up:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Game Design Update

I hope you get reimbursed for blacksmith and jewel crafter levelling costs :(

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL, yeah right. Don't hold your breath.

I just want the AH to work right.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About the AH, I can't find any gems for sale. I tried looking for all types. What is quantity? Is that how many search results it will show me? I don't know what number to put in there. Am I doing it wrong?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's bugged, hasn't worked for me in the past few days, whereas last week I was able to search for and buy gems.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That message on the right hand side of the login page that you are ignoring states that they took down commodity auctions. They have been down for like a week now.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.