Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diablo III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Diablo III

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 02:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I guess I'll try to buy the best I can on the AH...

I haven't played D3 yet, but if gear is anything like in Diablo 2 then buying a gem for a simple sockethelm you found at level 19 is a waste of money. Just socket it with something shit seeing how you'll probably replace it after 2 seconds in the next act anyway.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: Fjaggs :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 05:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
xer0s wrote:

I haven't played D3 yet, but if gear is anything like in Diablo 2 then buying a gem for a simple sockethelm you found at level 19 is a waste of money. Just socket it with something shit seeing how you'll probably replace it after 2 seconds in the next act anyway.

You may be right, but I figured I could sell the helm once I'm done with it and turn a profit. Or use it on my other characters at some point...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
xer0s wrote:

The gem's not wasted. You can pay a merchant to unsocket items. :up:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Game Design Update

I hope you get reimbursed for blacksmith and jewel crafter levelling costs :(

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL, yeah right. Don't hold your breath.

I just want the AH to work right.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About the AH, I can't find any gems for sale. I tried looking for all types. What is quantity? Is that how many search results it will show me? I don't know what number to put in there. Am I doing it wrong?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's bugged, hasn't worked for me in the past few days, whereas last week I was able to search for and buy gems.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 04:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That message on the right hand side of the login page that you are ignoring states that they took down commodity auctions. They have been down for like a week now.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That message box on the login page doesn't appear for a lot of people [myself included].

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really? Is there a way to disable it or is it just bugged for some people? I noticed today that they updated the message to include something else about stability or updates or somesuch, can't remember.

Anyway, just killed the Butcher on Hell difficulty with my 54 Monk, woo! I'm kinda curious how the Barbarian compares at higher levels, but I really don't feel like going all the way through Normal again. Maybe I'll get my Wizard to Hell next since she's already in Nightmare. But I want the m4d l3wt that my Monk is just inches away from finding. Choices, choices.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was some speculation within days of the release [when messages about restarts/maintenance failed to reach people] that it was related to where/how you bought the game. I don't think any firm conclusion was reached, but it was thought at the time that the digital edition purchased directly from Blizzard [which is what I've got] didn't display alerts but that the retail version bought in shops did.

I finally reached 60 on my barbarian in early Act IV last night, and 1-shot Diablo with 5 stack nephalem valour =]

Got 3 rares, but nothing noteworthy. Now, onwards to get smashed in Inferno.

Some tips about nephalem valour: dying doesn't remove/reset the stack. So the 20 minutes I spent slowly wearing down [while running away from] a particularly vicious champion pack was probably a bit too cautious. Switching your potion type does. I guess it counts it as a skill change.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
and 1-shot Diablo with 5 stack nephalem valour =]

Mental images of staff of apocalypse in diablo 1

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've wrecked many women with my staff of apocalypse.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-28-2012 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 12:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So Diablo is about having the best gear? No skill involved whatsoever?

Yeah, I'll play a game of craps with my "dice of luck, +1 chance of rolling a six" instead.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does your dice have pretty lights? I didn't think so...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last night I found Liquid Rainbow. Not sure what to do with it...:shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Does your dice have pretty lights? I didn't think so...

Apparently, they do :olo:
http://dicelights.com/

Man, one has to be a huge basement nerd to buy those

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Attract other queer men

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 06:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

It is one of the materials used to create the Staff of Herding which opens the portal to the cow/unicorn level.

http://d3db.com/item/i/plan-staff-of-herding

I have the staff for every difficulty if anyone wants to check it out sometime.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
The gem's not wasted. You can pay a merchant to unsocket items. :up:

Ah, that's pretty neat. :)

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really good post about damage reduction

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149150485

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Yeah, I'll play a game of craps with my "dice of luck, +1 chance of rolling a six" instead.

Do you really think a game which required no skill whatsoever would make it to 12 pages at Q3W? ;)

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no one yet asked how to ID items ? :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Do you really think a game which required no skill whatsoever would make it to 12 pages at Q3W? ;)

*points at minecraft thread*
Anyway, where exactly does skill come in with Diablo? Isn't it true that the game is 80, perhaps 90 percent about the items you happen to have equipped? And if you're not getting good enough items you'll just buy them in an auctionhouse. So tell me, what skill so you need? haggling?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 12:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does a game need to require skill to be fun? There are plenty of mindless amazing games out there. I'm not sure what you're getting at...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
*points at minecraft thread*
Anyway, where exactly does skill come in with Diablo? Isn't it true that the game is 80, perhaps 90 percent about the items you happen to have equipped? And if you're not getting good enough items you'll just buy them in an auctionhouse. So tell me, what skill so you need? haggling?

Much like WoW, the skill comes from being at the absolute pinnacle of your class performance. You have to know your abilities and the abilities of the enemies inside and out to be able to min/max at the highest levels. Most importantly, you have to fully understand the mechanics behind the gear you're equipping. You need the determination, the will power, and frankly the spare time to pull all this off. And once your character is capable of performing at the highest level, you need lightning fast reflexes and even faster tactics to actually play at the limits.

The skill level will go up when the PvP patch is released too as playing against another human requires a whole new set of knowledge and skills that you don't use in PvE.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 09:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just picked this up in Act 1 Inferno. Wont be good for very long but I'll rock it for a little while.

My hardcore Witch Doctor is level 49 in Act 4 Nightmare. It's getting really hairy playing alone.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-29-2012 10:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats badass

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't need to see I can smell demons fear.....

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stoner wrote:
Just picked this up in Act 1 Inferno. Wont be good for very long but I'll rock it for a little while.

Nice! Always fun to find a legendary. That is one complaint I share about D3 though. Most legendary items aren't good even within their own level range because they have no special stats and the rolls are usually awful. The last one I found sold for 4 million so I can't complain too much.

Here are a couple really good lower levels I've been holding on to for my next character

And my primary that I would love to trade up for an int weapon

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will take that mace, thx.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 03:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yahtzee's review of the game sounds pretty spot on to me :olo:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... 7-Diablo-3

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuckin' trousers

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.