Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TruthfulLiar wrote:
Looking forward to this film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_(film).
It should be rated "R" in order to be good. But, it probably won't. :tear:

and here's why i'm really not looking forward to it (well, not beyond morbid curiosity):
Quote:
Gavin Hood (born 12 May 1963) is a South African filmmaker, screenwriter, producer and actor, best known for writing and directing the Academy Award-winning Foreign Language Film Tsotsi (2005). He is the director of the 20th Century Fox film X-Men Origins: Wolverine, released on 1 May 2009.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The author rejected many directors on the grounds of wanting "someone who could do make the film right". And this.

Still. Kind of have to see it.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i guess i should be fair and mention that most of what i read on the interwebs about Hood blamed fox for the travesty that that "wolverine" movie turned into. before that he had a good reputation, so maybe OSC being anal about keeping the studios' filth away from Ender and giving Hood some actual creative control might work out for the best? casting looks promising.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't wait for the underage boy slippery and steamy shower scene :drool:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
batman pic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhzD2XEoWA

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AI

Haven't seen for a while but a good view all the same so grab it :)

wiki

Just remember the line (if you can) to a beautiful movie.... “Cirrus, Socrates, Particle, Decibel, Hurricane, Dolphin, Tulip"

9/10

Image Image

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good catch. A bit cold and disconnected in its feel, but I really liked it. Sbeen years since I've seen it so I might give it another view :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 07:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FRACTURE

Another good one if you get the time. Just watched for the first time, surely not my last :)

Simply a great role played by the two lead roles :up: and those be, Anthony Hopkins as Ted Crawford and Ryan Gosling as Willy Beachum.

Nice thriller 8/10
wiki

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dark Knight Rises - 9/10

I possibly like this more than The Dark Knight...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention: I saw Prometheus once more before they removed it from the IMAX 3D. Rather than wanting to see the movie again, it was actually an experiment to compare it to the regular theatre when I saw it the first time. I felt it was the perfect opportunity for me to see insanely beautiful sci-fi visuals in the supposed "highest caliber" without having to duck, because Ridley Scott isn't retarded enough to exploit the 3D as other directors would.

Besides the fact that at one point I couldn't wait for the movie to end, I've decided that I won't be seeing anything in 3D again, including TDKR.

I've concluded that 3D is an effect that is there to simpy enhance the effect of how things move in 3D space rather than how they look. Anything that moves in a 3D movie looks horrible with the blurriness and the streaking. Therefore, since any visual advantage of the 3D effect is actually detrimental to viewing, I've decided to stop defending 3D as part of an "immersive" movie experience that other snobs such as myself hoped it would be, and simply state that it's a gimmick that adds nothing visual and only seeks to convert the movie going experience into a theme park ride. So, in closing, the 3D effect is only there to make audiences duck in their seats.

Fuck 3D.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 11:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you wont be seeing TDKR in 3D? how unique.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plus, you think those glasses go through some kind of cleaning process before they end up on your face from the previous 500 disgusting fucks that use them?
They just go from the return bin, back to circulation. I bet both of my nuts on that.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 03:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention: I saw Prometheus once more before they removed it from the IMAX 3D. Rather than wanting to see the movie again, it was actually an experiment to compare it to the regular theatre when I saw it the first time. I felt it was the perfect opportunity for me to see insanely beautiful sci-fi visuals in the supposed "highest caliber" without having to duck, because Ridley Scott isn't retarded enough to exploit the 3D as other directors would.

Besides the fact that at one point I couldn't wait for the movie to end, I've decided that I won't be seeing anything in 3D again, including TDKR.

I've concluded that 3D is an effect that is there to simpy enhance the effect of how things move in 3D space rather than how they look. Anything that moves in a 3D movie looks horrible with the blurriness and the streaking. Therefore, since any visual advantage of the 3D effect is actually detrimental to viewing, I've decided to stop defending 3D as part of an "immersive" movie experience that other snobs such as myself hoped it would be, and simply state that it's a gimmick that adds nothing visual and only seeks to convert the movie going experience into a theme park ride. So, in closing, the 3D effect is only there to make audiences duck in their seats.

Fuck 3D.

I saw TDKR in imax non-3D. U mad bro?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was TDKR even in 3D?

Also, GFY is so hilariously wrong about movies most of the time. 3D is a gimmick to "immerse" the viewer into alternate reality for a couple hours because god knows the sub-par acting and awful plots won't get it done. Movies are mostly shit these days, so you need some shiny eye candy to keep the lardasses in the seats.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 04:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Was TDKR even in 3D?

I just assumed it was. If not, it's the thought that counts.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
I saw TDKR in imax non-3D. U mad bro?

I still love the IMAX format. :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
3D is a gimmick to "immerse" the viewer into alternate reality for a couple hours because god knows the sub-par acting and awful plots won't get it done. Movies are mostly shit these days, so you need some shiny eye candy to keep the lardasses in the seats.

I won't argue your rant against the quality of movies that are out, especially these days of head-up-their-ass remakes. But you're missing the point...probably on purpose...as I mentioned the focus of 3D being of how things move in 3D space rather than how they look, and that it's the look that I have the problem with.

Quote:
"Immerse the view into an alternate reality for a couple of hours"

That's the goal of every movie, not only 3D you moron.

The point is that the theatre industry spent millions upgrading their gear to accomodate the tech as - ultimately - it was meant for a sustained period of non-gimmicky shit films that would make 3D as standard viewing in all theatres, much in the same way multi-channel surround sound became standard fare. Your rant also completely ignores the insane amount of work and attention to detail it takes to get 3D to work correctly in the first place, never mind the sub-par acting and awful plots. If you want some idea of the amount of work involved in creating a quality 3D presentation, read this article, which even goes down to the level of discussing 3D film grain issues. You can also watch this interview with John Knoll, a VFX guru with more than a few major projects under his belt, for more insight on converting 2D to 3D.

I'm simply lamenting the fact that regardless of all the 3D problems that are fixed with respect to convergence, edge violations, "stereo budgets", etc...stuff that actually create the immersive 3D effect...are ultimately undermined in that the tech only works when the audience is distracted (ducking) and don't pay attention to how horrible the actual on-screen elements look.

Captain Mazda wrote:
Also, GFY is so hilariously wrong about movies most of the time.

p.s fuck u....

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I'm simply lamenting the fact that regardless of all the 3D problems that are fixed with respect to convergence, edge violations, "stereo budgets", etc...stuff that actually create the immersive 3D effect...are ultimately undermined in that the tech only works when the audience is distracted (ducking) and don't pay attention to how horrible the actual on-screen elements look.

You're talking about how it could be better implemented, but I want it gone altogether. Even the most realistic 3D film can't compare to a good game with a story worth following. The movie industry should stop trying to push the envelope and just focus on not being so shitty all the time.

Quote:
the audience is distracted (ducking) and don't pay attention to how horrible the actual on-screen elements look.

Or like I said, how horrible the film itself is :smirk:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3D as an idea is fine... it's more than fine, it's inevitable really. But besides the less than perfect implementation of it right now, I think they are having a fundamental problem, they might need to go further than just trying to project 3D at a flat rectangular screen by patching up old technology.

Faking 3D might just not do the trick.... something along the lines of spacial 3D manifestation might need to take place before it starts looking and feeling right.

And whatever technology that might be, it could prove completely worthless in the movie making industry. Maybe film might not be able to adapt to something more captivating than what it already is....a projection of pictures in sequence on a flat surface, because of its fundamental requirement of a completely controlled environment, that is required to control the scene, the frame and forcing the attention to whatever the director whats to place focus on.... you know, the kind of shit that they cannot control in plays from the perspective of the audience.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 01:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Was TDKR even in 3D?

it wasnt. hence my post.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hence the "fuck u..."

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 05:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
it wasnt. hence my post.

fuck u...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Faking 3D might just not do the trick.... something along the lines of spacial 3D manifestation might need to take place before it starts looking and feeling right.

Full colour holograms. :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the most part, 3D is a joke. But I do think it can be done correctly. For instance, I thought Avatar was great in 3D...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
For instance, I thought Avatar was great in 3D...

So did I. However, I'm just thinking that it's possible that I overlooked the artifacting of moving objects in that movie because it was the first 3D I'd seen in almost 10 years. But ever since Avatar, I've noticed the problem in every 3D film.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I feel like Cameron shot the film in 3D, but he kept it out of his mind for the most part, and just shot it like he would any other film. Because of that, the 3D doesn't feel forced or gimmicky. It just works where it needs to...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's the opposite. he shot every frame with 3D in mind. But he didn't shove all the obvious 'omg3D' tricks in your face.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think 3D is overall not worth the money if it is possible to see it in regular. tbh, I actually thought Avatar looked better on Blu-Ray than in the movies in 3D. The 3D glasses appear to "dilute" and darken the environment, if I remember correctly. Not only that, they can be uncomfortable if they're too tight or whatever - especially if one is already wearing glasses like me and has to stack them, since the 3D glasses obviously won't help you see better.

Personally, I go by a "less is more" philosophy - keep the gimmicks out and just enjoy the movie for what it is - for the story, characterization, plot, and the natural elements that bring the movie to life. I don't need 3D special effects that only are interesting for the first three minutes to tell me that.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Changing Lanes

IMDB
Yes enjoyable and I'd watch again

7.5/10

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-08-2012 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
3D as an idea is fine... it's more than fine, it's inevitable really. But besides the less than perfect implementation of it right now, I think they are having a fundamental problem, they might need to go further than just trying to project 3D at a flat rectangular screen by patching up old technology.

And whatever technology that might be, it could prove completely worthless in the movie making industry. Maybe film might not be able to adapt to something more captivating than what it already is....a projection of pictures in sequence on a flat surface, because of its fundamental requirement of a completely controlled environment, that is required to control the scene, the frame and forcing the attention to whatever the director whats to place focus on.... you know, the kind of shit that they cannot control in plays from the perspective of the audience.

You nailed it.
Real3D or any other technology used nowadays just looks like several layers of silhouette technique on top of each other. It does NOT good at showing things move in 3D space. Actually it sucks at that.
Only the silhouettes themselves look more plastic but not their behaviour to each other. That's my perception, at least.

I'd go with Tsakali and say real 3D-cinema would only be possible with a revolutionary break from old tradition projection onto 2D surfaces. The human eye/brain-system through stereoscopic view can perceive objects in 3D but not unless the viewer changes his/her position is it possible to recognize each object's correlation in 3D to each others'. In other words, our body needs to move through or around the scenery to really get the immersive impact.
So, yep, holograms... But not like in Star Trek. A simple cylinder, cone or sphere would do for the beginning.
But that also asks for activeness from the auditory. They would have to move around that cylinder, whatever.
And that again takes away control over the auditorium's perception and focus, like Tsakali pointed out. It's a dilemma.

Saw Prometheus in 2D and didn't see one scene that would shout out for 3D. But because of comments on it being the film that used the technique the most "intelligent" way I'll probably make the second round in 3D. Score would be a 7/10. It throws up more questions than it answers, didn't expect that.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-09-2012 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Total Recall Remake#1 (pretty sure they'll remake this again someday. not sure though) = 3/10 - Fucking garbage. Basically a series of chase scenes punctuated with horrible acting, with Kate Beckinsale being uncharacteristically fucking horrible. She really should stop taking the lead roles in her worthless husband's movie projects. God he's horrible. The production design and VFX were top-notch as expected because that's all this movie offers and where they spent most of the money. TBH the film had a very Blade Runnerish look to it, so they don't have to remake that movie now...it's been done. It's funny...this remade, rehashed, predictable POS was produced by a company called "Original Film"...hilarious.

Here...I'll save you two hours and twenty bucks if you just watch this clip from Siggraph 2000. I mean seriously...the production design is the same right down to the robot police.

There...now you've basically seen the Total Recall remake #1. From a short clip made twelve fucking years ago.

To those of you who will snobbishly state "I'll wait until I see it to judge it" (knowing full well you probably won't enjoy it as much as Arnie's version) and who go out and pay money to these remake-whoring assholes: fuck you. No seriously...fuck you. You're the reason Hollywood sucks.

I downloaded a cam copy because that's all this garbage deserves. Er...actually it doesn't even deserve viewing. :down:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-09-2012 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it because it's a remake? i thought it was more enjoyable than the original if only because the story was more closer to reality, more relevant , and didn't have cheesy / ridiculous parts as the original . Not sure why it scored so low with peeps, I would have easily given it as high as 8/10 if it wasn't for the original ruining any chance I had at enjoying the plot.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-10-2012 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i always hated the Schwarzenegger version. does that mean I'll like the new one?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.