Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-12-2012 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Prometheus - ?/10

...the fuck?

I saw an advert today for the Prometheus DVD and the main tag line was "Questions Will Be Answered" and I literally laughed out loud.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-12-2012 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw it in theaters as well, just commenting with my rating because I didn't do so before.

I saw the BR disc at the store, it has a commentary and alternate beginning/ending. Maybe that'll explain wtf is going on, but it's not worth it for me to buy the disc in hopes that it'll explain whatever the hell I paid to see in theater. Fuck you, Ridley Scott... other than Alien and Gladiator, you're dead to me and you can share whatever dark corner of Hollywood hell George Lucas is sitting in.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-12-2012 07:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched Prometheus for a second time last night, really enjoyed it once again.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-12-2012 08:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's good. Not sure what these morons are going on about...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-12-2012 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I saw it in theaters as well, just commenting with my rating because I didn't do so before.

I saw the BR disc at the store, it has a commentary and alternate beginning/ending. Maybe that'll explain wtf is going on, but it's not worth it for me to buy the disc in hopes that it'll explain whatever the hell I paid to see in theater. Fuck you, Ridley Scott... other than Alien and Gladiator, you're dead to me and you can share whatever dark corner of Hollywood hell George Lucas is sitting in.

you missed blade runner, his best work.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 10-13-2012 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Skyfall.

Excellent.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-13-2012 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looper

7/10 - not bad at all

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-13-2012 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
I watched Prometheus for a second time last night, really enjoyed it once again.

probably because you're gay.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-13-2012 06:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mankunt just told me, big time.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-13-2012 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll watch it again when the extended cut is released, should be good :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-13-2012 11:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you mean the extended cut that really answers all the questions? in particular the main one, which is WHAT THE BLUE VEINY FUCK??

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-14-2012 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers (OLD!) finally, and though i was half-working, half watching, I liked it quite a bit from what I saw.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2012 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Expatriate = 6/10 - Low budget Bourne-meets-Taken. Some decent acting, some bad. Not horrible.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus Spoiler Alert

How would you like the sequel to go though? Would you like Elizabeth and David go to where the engineers came from and try to answer the question of how everything came to be and why they were out to destroy us, or would you prefer for them to focus on the Alien thing that was born from the Engineer on the ship? From memory, didn’t they say there were more ships so, in theory, more engineers in cryo sleep in the other ships? The explored about 3 miles of an entire planet, so it stands to reason that there would be other bases around the place, right?

I think that if they went down the “meet your maker” route it would be a mish mash of philosophical bullshit because they don’t have the writers on board who would be able to construct a well thought out and reasoned storyline (from a philosophical standpoint). I would like to be proved wrong, but given Damon Lindelof’s involvement and Lost’s thunderous fuck up of a conclusion, I can only see it ending badly.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The planet in Prometheus is LV-223. The one in Alien is called LV-426. What I don't understand is if the Xenomorph created in Prometheus was a queen, how did it travel to at least one other outpost and create a breeding ground? If that did happen, how come there wasn't an army of Xenomorphs protecting the egg colony when the crew from Alien landed on the planet?

Fuck.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
The planet in Prometheus is LV-223. The one in Alien is called LV-426. What I don't understand is if the Xenomorph created in Prometheus was a queen, how did it travel to at least one other outpost and create a breeding ground? If that did happen, how come there wasn't an army of Xenomorphs protecting the egg colony when the crew from Alien landed on the planet?

Fuck.

These are my thoughts on the matter, so please feel free to rip them apart due to my less than stellar knowledge of the Alien universe

Mazda, your thoughts go back to my other ships and engineers theory. OK it is a queen, and the queen lays eggs. In those eggs are facehuggers rather than Xenomorphs themselves (Xenomorphs are born from the facehuggers impregnating humans and other species). The reason it was a queen that was born was because it came from an engineer rather than a human and the “facehugger” that was impregnated the engineer was “pure” from the black ooze stuff. The dilution of the genes cause smaller facehuggers and in turn cause the smaller Xenomorphs to be born. The reason why there are no differences between the Xenomorphs to come out of the engineer from the first Alien to the ones that are born from humans are covered off in the exact match of DNA in the engineers and us.

LV-426 could also be explained by having different military outposts on different planets (no country has just one military outpost on Earth as far as I am aware?). Should another engineer awaken and on LV-223 and leave the planet he could conceivably go to another outpost to help them out, taking the stowaway queen with him. You could just about get away with this as a storyline I think?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's plausible to think another engineer arrived on LV-223 and went to survey the crashed ship. Maybe he was the xer0s of his species and somehow took the massive queen aboard his ship which then crashed on LV-426, allowing the queen to safely lay thousands of eggs in the cargo bay. While the engineer waited for his buddies to come and bail him out, he was sitting in his pilot chair listening to a conservative presidential engineer candidate through his radio when a Facehugger surprised him and planted an embryo inside him.

That still doesn't explain the lack of at least one other Xenomorph on the outpost considering he had a chestburster hole. Or maybe he was just sleeping when the crew arrived. But again, where was the queen when a bunch of ugly humans started messing around her precious eggs?

Shitfuck.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 01:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe they just thought up a bunch of stuff that looked cool and spent exactly zero seconds thinking of how to explain it? Perhaps because - and this is just a gamble - it's a shitty film with massive plotholes, aside from the origin story?

A plausible theory i think. Christ, i simply can't believe how people thought this film was intelligent and worth discussing in depth. It wasn't and it's not.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well fuck you then >:(

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 02:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on a rescue mission rather than thinking it's inteligent.

Actually I want to beleive that it has the long game in view rather than instant answers as I don't want them to have fucked up the Alien universe as much as it seems they have :disgust:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 02:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It can't tie up now it was fucked from the first film as there was never any 'queen' in mind for the writers then. Ever since that film other writers have been filling the blanks and that's partly why Aliens was such an epic film, it did more to answer any questions than all the other films put together.

In Alien, how did the hole in the flight deck get there? Did the fully formed alien rip an arm off just to make that hole and get to the tardis cargo hold?
Christ knows what the second film will do, and I agree with the piss heads youtube film, that's how it should have ended.

Prometheus was FULL of holes, big fucking shoe horned story holes. Biggest of all is why would an engineer freak out when he sees humans, second is why would a military base recount events via holographic projection.

Still enjoyed the film.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Biggest of all is why would an engineer freak out when he sees humans, second is why would a military base recount events via holographic projection.

Quite easily explained if you think about where they left humans on Earth. A primitive people who used pitchforks to scare off animals. Now, after a 2000 year sleep and they are alive (we were supposed to be exterminated) on a planet light years away from the planet they were left on, waking him up. This was never part of the plan and he has freaked right out. We are an experiment.

The base recounted the events via holographic projection because they are far to advanced to have normal CCTV. You think that’s a piss take, but it is a military base as you have said. They will have security on there. They will record what has been going on. They just do it in a more advanced way

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never thought of your first point like that. Good point well made.....,

However what happened to this race in the time it took us to find them and why did they leave markers. Surely if they set an experiment they would be keeping tabs. Are they all asleep? The whole race? The markers pointed to LV-whatever but the bases there didn't have any type of radar monitoring stations, just holographic projection systems to let people know what happened after a disaster. Because that's important.

Another point, when the two left at the end, assuming these ships don't travel faster than light how did she expect to survive the trip of decades? And don't say their sleepers, that would be ridiculous.

Your second point is LOL.

FULL OF HOLES. The marketing promised answers but delivered a so so action film. I've got it on BR now so will watch again at some point.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 03:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some good points also.

Agreed on it being full of holes...

But here we are, still talking about it and I bet we will all watch it again just to find more holes. They win?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THE ENGINEERS DISCOVERED THE PROTHEAN RELAYS AND THE REAPERS WIPED THEM OUT

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 04:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ERMAHGERD!!!

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Achilles' heel of sci fi movies:
Greasy nerds over analyzing.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really; if you do something do it right. You wouldn't paint a wall, leave patches then stand back and expect everyone to tell you how well the wall was painted when it clearly isn't.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would, and knock the shit out of cunts questioning the quality of my job.

Prometheus lived up to my expectations, and doubters and nay-sayers can fuck right off.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 06:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
I would, and knock the shit out of cunts questioning the quality of my job.

:olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The stupid bitch didn't even take a sandwich on the ship when she left to find the Engineers.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

holes within holes.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, some joke about you being fat and space food.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone watched the film with Ridley's commentary? Apparently he answers several questions and says he wants to do a sequel as soon as possible. And maybe even a third movie if he's really clever.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I couldn't bother reading through all your ramblings...

Last edited by xer0s on 10-18-2012 07:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Anyone watched the film with Ridley's commentary? Apparently he answers several questions and says he wants to do a sequel as soon as possible. And maybe even a third movie if he's really clever.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I could bother reading through all your ramblings...

Our ramblings?

Fuck off.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.