Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think i enjoyed the first only because i managed to ignore the insultingly stupid plot. What was it about again, shifty Europeans stealing American teenage women and selling them to Arab pedos? Lol.

Neeson is all well and good when he's growling oneliners and kicking ass, but it's a typecast he can't escape from because he's lacking in the acting department.

Last edited by Ryoki on 12-21-2012 02:08 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 02:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HEY don't think it can't happen to YOU, chump.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well maybe once, but surely not twice. I'm beginning to think his wife and daughter are just asking for it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 02:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wearing those clothes, you mean. yeah.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-22-2012 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Christmas Carol (2004)

8/10

Jeniffer Love Hewitt plays the love interest and that bloke from Cheers and Frasier plays the (old) Scrooge.

Jeniffer Love Hewitt... (Before she got fat.)
Also that girl from Alley McBeal that was blonde and used to be fat in that show but is slim in this film :!: plays one of the ghosts.
Bit too much sing-songing (I hate musicals), felt like I was going to puke at moments but it wasn't too bad, good acting and some of the singing was quite good. I think they dubbed some singers voices, though?

I liked seeing the old sets and costumes.
The special effects (for the ghosts) were pretty good, too.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-22-2012 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-22-2012 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lmao

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dredd = 6/10 - I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised how decent this was. Stallone's version can now be forgotten outright.

Flight = 5.5/10 - Decent but not great.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Neeson is all well and good when he's growling oneliners and kicking ass, but it's a typecast he can't escape from because he's lacking in the acting department.

lol wut

you forget Schindler's List?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I did indeed, i take that back.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not to mention The Phantom Menace.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 07:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Total Recall (the new one) - 4/10 - What a drab, boring, action flick. I enjoyed the Blade Runner inspired cities, but the movie fell absolutely flat through the second half. Boring.

Lawless - 6/10 - Not bad, not good, but worth a watch. The story is a little dull, but the acting and characters were interesting enough to keep me going.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
Lawless - 6/10 - Not bad, not good, but worth a watch. The story is a little dull, but the acting and characters were interesting enough to keep me going.

I forgot I saw this one. Your review took the words out of my mouth.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-25-2012 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what did you cockgoblins think was the best movie of the year? Cloud Atlas wins in my books.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-25-2012 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ummm...I really liked Argo.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-25-2012 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Of course you did :olo:

:olo: page 301 slaughtered :olo:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-25-2012 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taken 2

Worst kidnappers ever. I'm not even going to list all the fuckups.
Well, just one: have at least 1 guy hold watch, instead of all 10 henchmen conveniently fucking off somewhere else to watch some soccer game.
Enabling Liam to do his escape thing.

And then the end boss fight. With a fucking midget :olo:

Liam Neeson, pls stahp.
Schindler's List part deux, please.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-25-2012 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fahrenheit 9/11 - 8/10 - a vivid reminder of what a bunch of total cunts the Bush administration were

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-29-2012 10:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SKYFALL
Yes the Bond movie.
Look, 007 is 007 but I found this a little disappointing.

7.5 /10

IMDB

and QUARTET

Directed by Dustin Hoffman no less.
Enjoyable and fun. A good watch. I left happier. Get a chance, grab it.

8.5 / 10

IMDB

I got points for spotting Andrew Sachs *"Manuel" from "Fawlty Towers"

*IMDB bio

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

life of pi (in 3d) - 6/10
ang lee makes really boring movies, he even made the hulk feel like a chick flick - don't expect to see any new ground trodden here.

there were loads of laugh-out loud funny bits in the book, and bits filled with drama and peril - none of that makes it onto the screen. the cast are all brilliant (esp. the lead), the sets are brilliant, but it's like the whole thing's been washed down with ang lee's special anti-soul, twee-enhancing bleach in post-production. it still has the spiritual/religious themes of the book, but the message here is that as long as you're a smug cunt about it, it doesn't matter what you believe.

the 3d makes the feeling that you're watching a stage play even stronger, and frequently yanks you out of the film entirely. the most noticeable one was where Pi is thrashing around in the sea during a storm and a droplet of water gets onto the camera lens. a droplet of water that is now 3 metres wide and apparently in front of the screen, while all the action is suddenly happening in a box behind it. the whole cinema seemed to groan at that one and it made me wonder how well tested 3d is before it's distributed. really hope this fashion goes away, it makes movies shite and adds nothing.

dead man's shoes - 7/10
brilliant low-budget uk revenge flick.

total recall - 2/10
5 points for the beautiful sets, -3 for the script and nothing at all for anything else. len wiseman's like a less-talented paul anderson.

juan of the dead - 9/10
ryoki was spot on, great movie.

the innkeepers (2011) - 5/10
not brilliant, but well worth a look for the creepy atmosphere and keeping track of ti west. one day he's going to make a really great movie.

vhs (2012) - 5/10
but not today. his section of this portmanteau thing isn't brilliant either - but as found footage horror goes, vhs is pretty good stuff.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lincoln = 4/10 - A throughly pointless movie created as Oscar-bait to make people think that Steven Speilberg's career hasn't sucked massive cock most of the last decade...because anyone could have directed this and you'd have the same result. Unfortunately good performances and makeup can't make a dreadfully boring movie any better in a film that truly feels its length. It offers nothing other than to remind people that trying to "civilize" the South is a waste of time (still true today) that Congress is/was/always-will-be full of short-sighted people useless to the common good and that ni.gger-hating racists will always be ni.gger-hating racists. When the movie is over you'll wonder why you watched it.

Oh yeah...Lincoln gets shot at the end by a ni.gger-hating racist...spoiler alert.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
ang lee makes really boring movies, he even made the hulk feel like a chick flick - don't expect to see any new ground trodden here.

Click me fagg0t

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Pillars of the Earth

Not a movie as such, but a mini series on the TV.
I was lucky enough to see it in 4 episodes rather than the possible 8.

IMDB

Quote:
The Pillars of the Earth is a sweeping epic of good and evil, treachery and intrigue, violence and beauty. This sensuous, spirited and passionate story is set against a backdrop of war, religious strife and power struggles which tears lives and families apart. In that time, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge.

click

Rather good IMO. Get a chance give it consideration. 8.5/10

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hobbit (3D 48fps) - 7/10 - any review of this movie really breaks down into two parts: the movie as narrative, and the movie as technical achievement.

as to the former, the reviews i read before seeing it pretty much nailed it: it goes on too long, and while there is an obscene wealth of eye-catching details and some pretty stunning CGI (the eagles were especially impressive), it didn't really cohere for me. the attempts to push the 'prequel to LotR' element of the book jarred too. nevertheless, it was enjoyable enough, and i'll definitely see the other 2 installments. Gollum totally stole the show

as to the 3D and high frame-rate, i loved it. this is only the 2nd 3D movie i've seen (first was an 80s re-screening of an old 50s B movie The Creature from the Black Lagoon) and the advance on the old 50s style of 3D (red and green lenses) is immense. the movie was preceded by a 3D trailer for the new Star Trek, which looked horrible at 24fps, but the 48fps of the Hobbit really worked. sure, it does look painfully 'real' at first without that glossy patina you get at 24fps, but once you get used to it, it's silky smooth

when is David Attenborough going to use this i wonder?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looper - 6/10

The Untouchables - 8/10

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-30-2012 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
The Pillars of the Earth

Not a movie as such, but a mini series on the TV.
I was lucky enough to see it in 4 episodes rather than the possible 8.

IMDB

Quote:
The Pillars of the Earth is a sweeping epic of good and evil, treachery and intrigue, violence and beauty. This sensuous, spirited and passionate story is set against a backdrop of war, religious strife and power struggles which tears lives and families apart. In that time, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge.

click

Rather good IMO. Get a chance give it consideration. 8.5/10

I'm reading the book now. Very enjoyable

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-31-2012 09:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Our Idiot Brother 5/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-31-2012 02:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:

I'm reading the book now. Very enjoyable

I'd better be looking out for it then. Thanks :up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-31-2012 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Django Unchained - 7/10 - pretty standard Tarantino stuff, really. there's some pretty effective comic relief to break up some (typically unnecessary) gore and ultraviolence. well acted, excluding the director's cameo. nice to see a German hero for a change. honestly, if I liked Tarantino better it could easily have been 9/10 but personal preferences etc etc.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-01-2013 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lincoln 8/10 If you enjoy history or politics, this is a must see. I was never aware of the political machinations around the 13th amendment.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2013 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bridget Jones's Diary

IMDB

Not too bad, if at all a little slow but worth a watch.
Predictable but descent story line and and old (chick flick) movie for sure.
7/10

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-01-2013 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

City of God - 9/10

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-02-2013 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Life of Pi. 4/10.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 01-02-2013 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

racist.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-02-2013 05:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually the Indian chap was the only reason I get it 4.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.