Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Xbox thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Xbox thread

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-20-2013 12:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

Still typical that ms is getting bashed for mandatory installs on the One even though Sony has done this for years.

MS is rightly bashed for it, and so is Sony. Mandatory installs on a console, especially taking as long as they do (I've heard 10 mo.Ute installs is not uncommon?) is just bullcrap.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-20-2013 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ, can you clarify what you mean by mandatory installs on the PS3? Some games might require you to do this, but it's not true for all games. Is that what you mean, that it's mandatory for some games?

I don't really have a problem with this, as it may be necessary for a smoother game experience rather than loading from a spinning disc.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-20-2013 06:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen a few games install some data but not all. MGS 4 was the worst.

Ps3 updates on the other hand... Now those were unbearable.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-20-2013 08:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My life is a lie! I always thought games had to be installed in order to play. Never heard otherwise either. In fact, a friend of mine switched from ps3 to 360 a ywar ago and he was pleasantly surprised that he could just pop in a game and play on 360

Well then. That changes things.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so who's ordering one?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think you will find many people at the moment. I know quite a few people who are going PS4 though...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

even though there's more pre-orders for xbox?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there? I wouldn't have expected that in fairness - kind of shocked me. I would have expected a small surge given the back tracking on Microsoft's part, but all the negative press around it before would have drawn me into saying the PS4 would have been miles ahead. Especially with stats like this being bounded around;

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Ta ... 56837.html

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So how different is installing games on the console compared to installing games on the PC? How different are FW updates on the console compare to say…updating iOS on your iPhone/iPad? Is there a double standard here? Clearly console games are installed on the HDD to improve performance. Streaming game data (e.g., texture maps) off the HDD is much faster than streaming directly off the optical drive. And as we move towards digital distribution, you can bet installation on HDD will be the norm.

I knew M$ would backpedal on the DRM policy (they had to, especially after all the backlash), so I’m not really surprised. It’s actually something they’ve been doing quite a lot lately with their other products like Office 2013 and Windows 8, but I can understand why they wanted to push through with this DRM policy in the first place. It basically reflects the fundamental philosophy of M$ founder Bill Gates’ core business model in that when you buy a piece of software, you merely purchase the license to use it; you don’t actually “own” the software as most people believe they do. This is what they have always strived for and part of the reasons why M$ has always been and still is the company you love to hate. The conspiracist in me is thinking M$ could do another 180 (so a complete 360) and enforce the DRM policy once they have enough user base for the XBONE…

Of course, Sony could enforce some sorta DRM policy later on as well, but IMO they’re still the lesser of the two evils, so I will continue to stick with Sony. The PS4 is $100 cheaper, has better specs (if they hold true), has a better controller (IMO), looks better, and doesn’t force you to be part of the PRISM program… As far as games and multimedia/online features go, I expect both consoles to be fairly similar eventually, so for me the choice is pretty obvious. However, I probably won’t pick up a PS4 until the PS4 slim comes out.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 08:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
so who's ordering one?

I ordered one.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-22-2013 11:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Doombrain wrote:
so who's ordering one?

I ordered one.

My man.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-23-2013 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Might get both. Ps4 has ps3 games on demand right?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-23-2013 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not getting both. BR on the xbox killed the PS4 for me.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-23-2013 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ps4 won't have ps3 games on demand at launch. I will get a ps4 also when there is an exclusive that I want to play. In fact other than wanting to try the kinect there isn't any launch titles on the xbone that I'm really interested in. I just wanted Day One edition.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-23-2013 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BF4 will be glued in to my drive

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-23-2013 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I will get a ps4 also when there is an exclusive that I want to play.

that's what I thought about the ps3. then I never did buy one because not playing Uncharted was something I could live with.
im afraid the same will happen with the ps4 (or xbone).. if ps4 can make me play those older ps3 ubertitles then I'll defo get one

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-23-2013 03:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are so many PS3 exclusives at this point to justify the $300 for the console(bluray player)...why even wait?

The God of War bundle comes with a 500gb drive and 6 games for $300.
http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Ascension-Leg ... ystation+3

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-27-2013 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MS drops update fee for devs
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... opers.html

Gee. Now if they've had selfpublishing capabilities on the One they might be helping indie devs with this.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-27-2013 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only for Xbox 360 though. I bet MS is still forcing the big publishers to pay big moneys for title updates. I was kind of surprised (although, not that much really) to read this:

Quote:
In addition to this Microsoft has also dropped the price for update resubmissions, meaning that if an update is submitted to Microsoft but fails to pass certification, the developer can sort it out and send it again without further cost.

So you submit your game for validation, fail because of some tiny little thing and then have to pay again to have your game resubmitted? Fuck that noise Micro$oft (yes, I actually dusted off the old $ 'joke' for that).

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-27-2013 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You meab like how apple does it? Test your fucking code, it's on a closed environment so there's no excuse for fucking up a patch.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-27-2013 09:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
You meab like how apple does it? Test your fucking code, it's on a closed environment so there's no excuse for fucking up a patch.

Yeah except that failing validation isn't always caused by the (lack of) quality of your code. That's especially true with the Apple overlords. Also, 100% bugfree code doesnt exist and especially indie developers dont have the resources for full fledged QA testing. Bugs may always slip through. Moreso again with Apple because you can only test through an emulator, and not on the real thing I believe.

Btw, are you sure it works this way with Apple? I thought you just buy a year subscription for $100 and can then submit apps as much as you like during that year?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apple doesn't charge for binary uploads or attempted uploads.

I found out first hand recently just how god damn frustrating it can be tho. You have to run a special application in OSX to upload your IPA file and it runs all these checks and will reject your upload instantly for the smallest problem. The last guy to upload a new version of our app had fat-fingered the version number to be 10.0.64 instead of 1.0.64 so when I tried to upload 1.0.65 it failed and I had to wait for another three hour repackaging to complete. (Note: builds take three hours because we thought using Adobe's multi-OS coding platform was appealing. Now our release builds take three hours and we're too committed to this shit heap.)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
MKJ wrote:

Yeah except that failing validation isn't always caused by the (lack of) quality of your code. That's especially true with the Apple overlords. Also, 100% bugfree code doesnt exist and especially indie developers dont have the resources for full fledged QA testing. Bugs may always slip through. Moreso again with Apple because you can only test through an emulator, and not on the real thing I believe.

Btw, are you sure it works this way with Apple? I thought you just buy a year subscription for $100 and can then submit apps as much as you like during that year?

you make it seem like you get your patch denied for introducing a spelling error.
it's for bugs that crash the game, or wipe the user's HDD, and such. damn right you will test for that.

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 09:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apparently the Xbox chief is now out at M$. He probably reckoned that the pink slip will eventually come down from Ballmer after the XBONE announcement/E3 debacle, so he decided to bail out on his own accord while he still has time :shrug:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-missio ... a-ceo-spot

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and went to Zynga. Because that was a step up... :dork:

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 12:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

XBONE owners being part of the PRISM program is probably not too far-fetched...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/ ... s-detailed

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

mean

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 04:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 09:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MS embraces indie devs for XBone, opens up the system

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-every-xbox- ... -898750954

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, a step in the right direction. They'll need a lot more before November rolls around, though...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 11:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Biggest fuck up of a launch of a product I've ever seen or at least I can remember. Talk about a complete reversal in pretty much everything they originally set out to do and achieve...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 02:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

at least they did it before actual launch. ps3 launch was worse. lot of stuff promised, less than half of that not available at launch and some stuffs even taken away after release (linux installs for instance). in the end the ps3 turned out excellent so who knows what the xb1 will bring

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 03:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
MS embraces indie devs for XBone, opens up the system

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-every-xbox- ... -898750954

That's good news. I wonder if they'll have some sort of successor to XNA for this and if that'll be cross-platform like XNA (and if it is, if that includes any Windows versions before Win8).

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Biggest fuck up of a launch of a product I've ever seen or at least I can remember. Talk about a complete reversal in pretty much everything they originally set out to do and achieve...

Competition is great, isn't it?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zewulf wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

Competition is great, isn't it?

It is - otherwise we would have been stuck with the Xbox One pile of shite if we wanted a console. Yay Sony etc etc

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.