Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Elite
Elite
Joined: 12 Jul 2000
Posts: 11553
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


We have spoiler tags. Use them.




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


We have quote tags. Use them.



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

Elite
Elite
Joined: 12 Jul 2000
Posts: 11553
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I would be quoting spoilers which I had not read, so no.




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


How about now ?



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24298
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Continuing SPOILERS without the tags...

losCHUNK wrote:
I didnt like it :(, this may contain a > SPOILER < mind.

I thought the start was great, the build up then it throws you into the main story with the countdown. All good, but then the filler kicks in, a dude dies just because, a women cries just because and a dude goes insane - just because which all builds up to the big reveal which is a bootstrap paradox.


I disagree. Everything was warranted. A dude dies because he was caught in a wave, trying to insure the woman makes it in the ship. The woman cries because she fucked up and cost them decades of time, plus got the dude killed. And the dude goes insane because he's been alone on a distant planet for a very long time...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24298
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


feedback wrote:
The more I think about it though, the more I hated the part with Matt Damon. He narrated all of his actions like a James bond villain.


Well, considering the guy had been alone for so long, he had plenty of time to think about all this, and once he had someone to talk to, he just let it all out. Understandable...




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19988
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


xer0s wrote:
Continuing SPOILERS without the tags...

losCHUNK wrote:
I didnt like it :(, this may contain a > SPOILER < mind.

I thought the start was great, the build up then it throws you into the main story with the countdown. All good, but then the filler kicks in, a dude dies just because, a women cries just because and a dude goes insane - just because which all builds up to the big reveal which is a bootstrap paradox.


I disagree. Everything was warranted. A dude dies because he was caught in a wave, trying to insure the woman makes it in the ship. The woman cries because she fucked up and cost them decades of time, plus got the dude killed. And the dude goes insane because he's been alone on a distant planet for a very long time...


you know this forum has a button for spoilers right? use it



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


TAG SPOLIERZ

xer0s wrote:
Continuing SPOILERS without the tags...

losCHUNK wrote:
I didnt like it :(, this may contain a > SPOILER < mind.

I thought the start was great, the build up then it throws you into the main story with the countdown. All good, but then the filler kicks in, a dude dies just because, a women cries just because and a dude goes insane - just because which all builds up to the big reveal which is a bootstrap paradox.


I disagree. Everything was warranted. A dude dies because he was caught in a wave, trying to insure the woman makes it in the ship. The woman cries because she fucked up and cost them decades of time, plus got the dude killed. And the dude goes insane because he's been alone on a distant planet for a very long time...


He could've made it though if he didn't fuck about and the women has her typical feminine weakling moment, and the other dude going insane due to solitary, despite another dude spending 26 years on the ship ?. If were throwing Aliens under the bus for being stereotypical then this film needs its back doors blasted off. :shrug:

The entire middle of that film was filler, from the point where they landed on the ocean planet til the other bloke goes skitzoid and fucks shit up.



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24298
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Not really. The rest of the film wouldn't work without the middle...




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Nah, cos it could be squashed into an episode. The only thing it was used for was to make the spaceship run out of fuel. All the important stuff happened in the 1st 30 mins and the final 30 mins.


I'll put that one into a spolier cos it scans easily :)



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-14-2014 08:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


interstellar... 9/10

i think some extra information is needed though... unless I missed the part where they say what year it is at the start? because dodge ram trucks don't last as long as the movie portrays... how are there drones flying around for 10 years and rubics cubed robots, but the rest of technology hasn't really advanced much? I kind of think the whole R2/Mr. Data robots is a cop-out BUT it's better than the jesus cop-out.

also the start wars ending :) lol i mean cmon.

I do like this movie more than Contact, mostly because there is no religious shit. Not that that takes away from Contact, which has been one of my regular favorites since it came out. Mconnahay or whatever seems to be good with these movies :olo:

The movie is not very hard to grasp, and they leave some fill-in-the-blanks, but for a trekkie that should be no big deal. There isn't a time loop, it's just regular earth time vs extremely slowed down time.

A funny thing is that last week I watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push, and it's about a guy traveling through space and has to be awake in a tiny ship, alone, for 3 years with sparse communication with earth. in the movie he tries to stay sane.... I though that was a pretty big deal trying to wrap my head around 3 years of near isolation in space, until homeboy is in orbit for 27 years alone... wow




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11984
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


In your spoiler andyman you mentioned you watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push.
I checked the IMDB and see the trailer and ask how would you rate it? Worth seeing?



_________________
My old WWW here :D


Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24298
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 02:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


andyman wrote:
interstellar... 9/10

i think some extra information is needed though... unless I missed the part where they say what year it is at the start? because dodge ram trucks don't last as long as the movie portrays... how are there drones flying around for 10 years and rubics cubed robots, but the rest of technology hasn't really advanced much? I kind of think the whole R2/Mr. Data robots is a cop-out BUT it's better than the jesus cop-out.

also the start wars ending :) lol i mean cmon.

I do like this movie more than Contact, mostly because there is no religious shit. Not that that takes away from Contact, which has been one of my regular favorites since it came out. Mconnahay or whatever seems to be good with these movies :olo:

The movie is not very hard to grasp, and they leave some fill-in-the-blanks, but for a trekkie that should be no big deal. There isn't a time loop, it's just regular earth time vs extremely slowed down time.

A funny thing is that last week I watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push, and it's about a guy traveling through space and has to be awake in a tiny ship, alone, for 3 years with sparse communication with earth. in the movie he tries to stay sane.... I though that was a pretty big deal trying to wrap my head around 3 years of near isolation in space, until homeboy is in orbit for 27 years alone... wow


You didn't miss a year or time period. And that's one thing I immediately noticed and appreciated. Even though it's obvious this story takes place in the future, Nolan chose not to insert a date or "in the not too distant future." And for a film about our world dying due to global warming, I think it's great he left it up to the viewer to decide how long we have before this could actually happen...




Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


xer0s wrote:
andyman wrote:
interstellar... 9/10

i think some extra information is needed though... unless I missed the part where they say what year it is at the start? because dodge ram trucks don't last as long as the movie portrays... how are there drones flying around for 10 years and rubics cubed robots, but the rest of technology hasn't really advanced much? I kind of think the whole R2/Mr. Data robots is a cop-out BUT it's better than the jesus cop-out.

also the start wars ending :) lol i mean cmon.

I do like this movie more than Contact, mostly because there is no religious shit. Not that that takes away from Contact, which has been one of my regular favorites since it came out. Mconnahay or whatever seems to be good with these movies :olo:

The movie is not very hard to grasp, and they leave some fill-in-the-blanks, but for a trekkie that should be no big deal. There isn't a time loop, it's just regular earth time vs extremely slowed down time.

A funny thing is that last week I watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push, and it's about a guy traveling through space and has to be awake in a tiny ship, alone, for 3 years with sparse communication with earth. in the movie he tries to stay sane.... I though that was a pretty big deal trying to wrap my head around 3 years of near isolation in space, until homeboy is in orbit for 27 years alone... wow


You didn't miss a year or time period. And that's one thing I immediately noticed and appreciated. Even though it's obvious this story takes place in the future, Nolan chose not to insert a date or "in the not too distant future." And for a film about our world dying due to global warming, I think it's great he left it up to the viewer to decide how long we have before this could actually happen...


The only thing that didn't age was the POS dodge truck, and that's my biggest gripe with the movie :) My guess is it's present day, but the last 50 or so years are the big change. I need to watch it again to see how long ago it was that the teacher said they switched textbook versions to change the moon landing. I think that would give a good idea of when the course of the future changed to make it the present day that it is. I'd really like to know that.... what the major event in human history made the present day what it is.




Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 07:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The Homesman
8/10, big twist in the middle, not over the top

The Missing
7/10, had it's moments but that's really all i can think of after a week.

The Salvation
8/10 cool movie

Open Range
9/10 GOOD MOVIE, great gunfights, great dialogue


yes i love westerns



The Signal
8/10, keeps you guessing, ending is pretty cool and worth the wait. pretty decent movie




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24298
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 10:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Open Range is probably the best Western of the last decade...:up:




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19988
PostPosted: 11-18-2014 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Where Eagles Dare 1968 BR

just had to rewatch



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 5201
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Guardians of the Galaxy - 7/10

Well executed cookie cutter with likable characters.




Top
                 

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 5201
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


andyman wrote:
Open Range
9/10 GOOD MOVIE, great gunfights, great dialogue


xer0s wrote:
Open Range is probably the best Western of the last decade...:up:


Will watch :up:




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11984
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


:arrow: andyman you mentioned the movie Astronaut: The Last Push.
I viewed the trailer on the IMDB and ask how would you rate it? Is it worth seeing?



_________________
My old WWW here :D


Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 05:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Whiskey 7 wrote:
:arrow: andyman you mentioned the movie Astronaut: The Last Push.
I viewed the trailer on the IMDB and ask how would you rate it? Is it worth seeing?


I sat through it here at home... it wasn't that great but the concept seemed interesting. Didn't really flow like I thought it would but the ending was pretty good, and surprising.




Top
                 

Karot!
Karot!
Joined: 31 Jul 2001
Posts: 19337
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 01:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Guardians of the Galaxy - 7/10
What Pext said. The plot was all over the place - but who cares eh, it has a funny talking cyber raccoon with a giant gun. I quite enjoyed the alien who took everything literally too, that was quite amusing.

Virunga 8/10
Powerful documentary about park rangers trying to save wildlife from poachers in the middle of the Congo during a rebellion by a group called M23, who appear to be complete and utter uneducated shitheads... Watching this makes you upset and angry, but also fills you with hope. Good stuff - just don't expect to be able to sleep immediately after watching :/



_________________
io chiamo pinguini!


Top
                 

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Posts: 12406
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Ryoki wrote:
Virunga 8/10
Powerful documentary about park rangers trying to save wildlife from poachers in the middle of the Congo during a rebellion by a group called M23, who appear to be complete and utter uneducated shitheads... Watching this makes you upset and angry, but also fills you with hope. Good stuff - just don't expect to be able to sleep immediately after watching :/


It's a Netflix exclusive. Agreed with Ryoki, great documentary, wonderfully filmed, and illustrates how foreign corporate interests have stirred up the shit in a volatile country in the name of profit. Destroy wildlife preserves: check. Break international law: check. Corruption: check. Finance rebel groups: check. Attempted assassinations: check.



_________________
GtkRadiant | Q3Map2 | Shader Manual


Top
                 

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 5201
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10

Basically a good diplomacy thriller with a standard setup sidetracked by the obligatory war action sequence; This one was fun, though: Apes on horsers firing machineguns.

I think it would have made for a better movie if the apes actually commited a my-lay massacre instead of just locking the humans up. But that's not the market they were aiming at, I suppose.




Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 04:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Pext wrote:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10

Basically a good diplomacy thriller with a standard setup sidetracked by the obligatory war action sequence; This one was fun, though: Apes on horsers firing machineguns.

I think it would have made for a better movie if the apes actually commited a my-lay massacre instead of just locking the humans up. But that's not the market they were aiming at, I suppose.


koba acting like a clown... rofl




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19988
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10

liked the characters very much, hope they don't mess up part 2

loved Zoe, just love her, i heard they were shooting Avatar 2n3 while back now 4 simultaneously 2016-17-18

can't wait



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Predestination

6/10, seemed slow, but if you like massive time paradoxes this movie is for you.




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


andyman wrote:

The Signal
8/10, keeps you guessing, ending is pretty cool and worth the wait. pretty decent movie


Also liked this, I'd give it more of a 7/10 if I had to place a number on it. Pretty well done but some stupid parts that left you a bit bewildered.

andyman wrote:
Predestination

6/10, seemed slow, but if you like massive time paradoxes this movie is for you.


I thought it was alright too. The 1st 45 mins or so was painfully slow and you can put together a lot of the story in that part of the film, I almost considered binning it. I'm glad I stuck with it though, as even though it was slow it was all warranted and interesting enough to stick with.

Automata was decent to watch n all, sci fi flick for those that are interested. Basically iRobot with a budget constraint and less action, not fantastic but decent enough.



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16172
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 12:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


It was I, Robot except not shit.




Top
                 

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
Joined: 21 Oct 2003
Posts: 6204
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 03:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I really enjoyed Interstellar.



_________________
[size=85]


Top
                 

opa!
opa!
Joined: 02 Mar 2000
Posts: 14654
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Nightcrawler. 8/10. Original enough premise, good performance from lead character, nice and creepy. It put on display our morbid appetite for media coverage, no matter the implications.




Top
                 

I nose it!
I nose it!
Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Posts: 17184
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Starred Up 9/10

You all need to see it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/starred ... arred%20up




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43922
PostPosted: 11-28-2014 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Interracialstellar

eh its ok. I liked the execution of the used future. It didn't need a bad guy persona, the bleak world was drama enough. Also ran a bit too long at times.

Also, what's with the people making infographics and flowcharts about the timelines from this movie? Surely they really didn't think it was that complicated did they?




Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 11-28-2014 05:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Fury

10/10
david ayer can do no wrong. holy fuck that was a good movie




Top
                 

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 11141
PostPosted: 12-09-2014 06:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Nightcrawler

Gonna have to go 10/10 on this one, mostly because listening to my police scanner, recording events, and posting them are a hobby of mine. Plus it's a fucking good movie!!!!!!!!




Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group