Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GTK Radiant bot pathing

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GTK Radiant bot pathing

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-02-2007 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I read through the "Quake III Editing Archives" but didn't find any resources on making bot pathing. After I run BSPC the bots just kinda stay in the flag rooms having siezures. I beleive this is do to it trying to create its own bot pathing. How do I manually create it in Radiant?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-02-2007 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't. Quake III uses AAS (Area Awareness System) to determine the playable area that bots can utilize. With waypoints, bots have a tendancy to follow the waypoints fairly strictly without deviating from them. AAS means that bots are free to wander around in any direction that they please, even calculating reachability, so they can try jumping/rocket jumping in certain occasions.

Bot seizures can be fixed by optimizing the AAS...
http://cardigan.planetquake.gamespy.com ... otopt.html

Also, if using Q3Map2 and the -meta switch (as you should) you also need to use the -forcesidesvisible switch with BSPC.

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 04-03-2007 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The art of getting bots to work is a bit like juggling.
Bots are stupid, the only way you can get them to work is use bread-crum trails. So a few tips:
1) place items(health, ammo, that stuff) in such a way that they can easily be 'found' (bots in essence move from item to item till something of higher priority pops up)
2) use botclip allover the place to make geo seem as simple as possible for the ID10T's (personally i often use large slabs that stick up to 16 units out of the wall so they cover as much trim as possible without making the movement restriction too obvious
3) item_botroam (use then copious amounts with moderate weight. these nifty little critters have the same magnetic effect on bots as items do, they can be of great assistence with making the bread-crum trails.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-04-2007 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

si, and also i found a while back that "info_camp"s are good for the 1D10Ts also. that way bots wont run around, maybe one may guard the flag without you using team orders. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.