Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Preferences

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Preferences

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

another sillly question from me here:

just trying Q3Map2toolz and im not sure what to put in some of the preference box that comes up at the start. What do i put in the 'Path to q3map.exe' and also in the 'Path to bspc.exe'?

im sure this is a very simple question so thnx in advance for bothering ;)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

q3map is the compiler: map, vis, light i think (basicly it is map -> bsp)
bspc is some other compiler: bsp -> aas; bsp -> map and some other things.

they are found in the radiant install directory and in the radiant subdirectory (located in your quake3 dir.) if i remember correctly.

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
q3map is the compiler: map, vis, light i think (basicly it is map -> bsp)
bspc is some other compiler: bsp -> aas; bsp -> map and some other things.

they are found in the radiant install directory and in the radiant subdirectory (located in your quake3 dir.) if i remember correctly.

erm.. what? what do i find the thing in simple terms? You said radiant install directory, do you mean like C:Program files/GTK Radiant or somethin and whats the subdirectory? Sorry for being annoying and thnx for your help :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

\quake3\radiant

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

examples for the paths would be:
c:\quake3arena\radiant - and -
c:\gtkradiant1.4
... i think

hm... i'm not so fond with the technical aspects but this is how i think it works:

q3map - or q3map2 which is included with the recent gtkr versions - takes the information out of your .map file, that is generated by radiant. it performs a process where all the brushes are compiled into a polygon set of a certain form (it's a tree i think) - this is the bsp stage.
then it will check what areas are visible from each area and reform the bsp accordingly to improve the performance drasticaly. otherwise every single tris (3-point polygon) would be calculated at every time.
finally the lightmap is generated out of the existing lightsources: light entities and light emmitting textutes. the lightmap is like a second texture, lighting up the underlying textures.

bspc does things to your .bsp file:
- it generates .aas files that allow bots to 'know' the map
- it decompiles .bsp files so that you can rework them (a thing you shouldn't do without asking the author first though)
- and it does some other stuff i think... maybe.

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

both should be in the Radiant sub-folder in your quake3 folder.

Hr.O
ps. Damn i still miss my thread :tear:

erm it's still alive: http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/022697.html?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.